Windows 10: Microsoft removes Setting to defer feature updates from Windows 10 version 2004

Discus and support Microsoft removes Setting to defer feature updates from Windows 10 version 2004 in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Windows 10 administrators who upgraded devices to the latest feature update for the operating system, Windows 10 version 2004, may have noticed that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Jun 25, 2020.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

Microsoft removes Setting to defer feature updates from Windows 10 version 2004

Windows 10 administrators who upgraded devices to the latest feature update for the operating system, Windows 10 version 2004, may have noticed that the option to defer updates is no longer present in the Settings application of the operating system.

The defer option allowed administrators to defer feature updates by up to 365 days, e.g. to skip the installation of the next update via Windows Update.

Administrators who check Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update > Advanced Options will notice that only the option to pause updates for up to 35 days is still present; this is the same option that Windows 10 Home customers got from the very get go.

Microsoft removes Setting to defer feature updates from Windows 10 version 2004 windows-10-2004-no-defer-updates.png

Some administrators assumed that the missing option was caused by the same bug that affected previous versions of Windows 10, but this is apparently not the case.

Microsoft notes the following on the Microsoft Docs website:

Update less: Last year, we changed update installation policies for Windows 10 to only target devices running a feature update version that is nearing end of service. As a result, many devices are only updating once a year.

To enable all devices to make the most of this policy change, and to prevent confusion, we have removed deferrals from the Windows Update settings Advanced Options page starting on Windows 10, version 2004.

If you wish to continue leveraging deferrals, you can use local Group Policy (Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Update > Windows Update for Business > Select when Preview builds and Feature Updates are received or Select when Quality Updates are received).

The company does not want to confuse its customers by keeping the option and decided to remove it. Windows 10 customers may still configure update deferrals in the Group Policy, but the option to do so in the Settings application is no longer available.

Microsoft changed the feature update delivery process recently as well, and it may be the case that the change played a role in the company's decision. Feature updates are not installed anymore automatically, even when the administrator selects to scan for updates manually. They are offered, but the admin needs to activate the update manually.

The two exceptions to the rule are when a particular version of Windows 10 is ending support, as Microsoft will push a newer version to these devices automatically, and bugs. Some users reported recently for example that their systems were updated automatically to Windows 10 version 2004.

Now You: have you used the update deferral option in the past? (via Deskmodder)

Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post Microsoft removes Setting to defer feature updates from Windows 10 version 2004 appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, Jun 25, 2020
  2. MrGenius Win User

Microsoft to make Windows 10 updates mandatory

Well, at the moment at least, you can choose to defer upgrades. Under Settings > Windows Updates > Advanced options you need to check the box labeled "Defer upgrades". What does that do? Good question. The answer I've found might illuminate it to a degree.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/defer-upgrades-in-windows-10

I hear this only applies to Pro and Enterprise editions. But I can't verify that.

MrGenius, Jun 25, 2020
  3. Brink Win User
    Features removed and deprecated in Windows 10 version 2004

Source:

See also:

Brink, Jun 25, 2020
  4. tcebob Win User

Defer Feature Updates Blanked out After Recent Update?

Apparently, "defer" does not refer to postponing updates to a more convenient time. Microsoft's explanation:

• "Some Windows 10 editions let you defer upgrades to your PC. When you defer upgrades, new Windows features won’t be downloaded or installed for several months. Deferring upgrades doesn't affect security updates. Note that deferring upgrades will prevent you from getting the latest Windows features as soon as they’re available."
    I had it turned on and wondered why no update had been done for over a month. It finally happened in mid afternoon when I stepped away for a break, and l had to wait quite a while to get back to work.

The best you can do is set Active Hours, which will postpone updates until a better time of day. Active Hours is a maximum of 12 hours. I've set mine to 8:00 AM to 8:00 PM. Sleep mode won't stop it. But I don't think MS has a way to turn on your computer.

tcebob, Jun 25, 2020
Thema:

1. Microsoft removes Setting to defer feature updates from Windows 10 version 2004 - Similar Threads - Microsoft removes Setting

2. Defer feature update

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Defer feature update: Hi. My PC has an issue with 21H2 build of Windows, when it's installed my whole PC stutters, even when it's not under a heavy load. I can be watching a youtube video or browsing a webpage and it's as if my PC is skipping whole frames.I've installed the latest updates for all...
  3. Defer feature update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Defer feature update: Hi. My PC has an issue with 21H2 build of Windows, when it's installed my whole PC stutters, even when it's not under a heavy load. I can be watching a youtube video or browsing a webpage and it's as if my PC is skipping whole frames.I've installed the latest updates for all...
  4. Defer Feature Updates in Windows 10 Version 2004

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Defer Feature Updates in Windows 10 Version 2004: Microsoft has removed the setting allowing users to defer feature updates in Windows 10 2004 but with this batch script you can defer feature updates. [media] 166275
  5. Defer Feature Updates in Windows 10 Version 2004

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Defer Feature Updates in Windows 10 Version 2004: Microsoft has removed the setting allowing users to defer feature updates in Windows 10 2004 but with this batch script you can defer feature updates. [media] 166275
  6. Removed and Deprecated features of Windows 10 version 2004

in Windows 10 News
    Removed and Deprecated features of Windows 10 version 2004: Microsoft released the new feature update for Windows 10, the Windows 10 May 2020 update, also known as Windows 10 version 2004, to the public this week. The new version is being offered to select systems only via Windows Update at this point and availability will increase...
  7. Microsoft lists features removed in Windows 10 version 2004

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft lists features removed in Windows 10 version 2004: After more than a year of testing with Windows Insiders, the Windows 10 May 2020 Update was finally released to the mainstream users on May 27, 2020. May 2020 Update introduces a number of new features and improvements and, despite the extensive testing, there are several...
  8. Features removed and deprecated in Windows 10 version 2004

in Windows 10 News
    Features removed and deprecated in Windows 10 version 2004: Features and functionality removed in Windows 10 Each version of Windows 10 adds new features and functionality; occasionally we also remove features and functionality, often because we've added a better option. Below are the details about the features and functionalities...
  9. Version 1803 and feature updates deferred by a year

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Version 1803 and feature updates deferred by a year: According to this page Windows 10, version 1809 transitioned to broad deployment (Semi-Annual Channel) on 28th March 2019. I am currently running Windows 10, version 1803 with feature updates deferred by 365 days on one of my computers. This means I shall receive a feature...
  10. Windows 10 'Defer Feature Update' Setting Missing from Advanced Options

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 'Defer Feature Update' Setting Missing from Advanced Options: Hello, I feel like this is a stupid question and the answer may come to me in the morning, however, the 'defer feature update' setting appears to be missing from my machine. This is what I should see and see regularly while I am working on machines at work: [ATTACH]...