Windows 10: Microsoft reveals Windows 10 ESU pricing: starts at $61

Discus and support Microsoft reveals Windows 10 ESU pricing: starts at $61 in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Microsoft's Windows 10 operating system is nearing the end of its life. Come October 2025, support for the operating system ends officially. Microsoft... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Apr 3, 2024.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

Microsoft reveals Windows 10 ESU pricing: starts at $61

Microsoft's Windows 10 operating system is nearing the end of its life. Come October 2025, support for the operating system ends officially. Microsoft announced that it is going to offer ESU, Extended Security Updates, for at least three years.

This means that organizations and also home users may extend the life of their systems by three years. ESU requires a subscription, and Microsoft has just revealed information about that subscription. Some information is still missing though.

Extended Security Updates were introduced for Windows 7 when the operating system neared its end of life. Microsoft offered the service to organizations only at the time. Organizations paid $50 in the first year, $100 in the second, and $200 in the third to receive these updates. Some clever folks discovered ways to get these updates on their home machines.

The popularity of Windows 7 forced Microsoft's hand. Windows 8, not nearly as popular as Windows 7, died without any ESU offer from Microsoft.

Windows 10: ESU pricing

Windows 10 is equally popular. It is still the most used version of Windows, even though its successor, Windows 11, has been on the market for three years. Not all Windows 10 devices can be upgraded to Windows 11. Experts estimate that the number of incompatible Windows 10 devices is in the hundreds of millions.

Microsoft announced some time ago that it would offer Extended Security Updates for Windows 10. This time, it did not exclude home users from the offer. In other words: anyone running Windows 10 can extend support by three years.

This comes at a price, which Microsoft revealed this week. Unfortunately, only for businesses and organizations.

Organizations have three options to extend update support for Windows 10: 5-by-5 activation key, cloud-based activation, or Windows 365 subscription-based activation.

For a 5-by-5 subscription key: It is available for $61 per device for the first year. This price doubles each year, meaning that organizations have to pay $122 in the second year and $244 in the third to continue receiving extended security updates.

The second option is only available for Windows 10 PCs accessed via Windows 11 Cloud PCs. These PCs are automatically included in ESU at no additional cost to the organization.

The third and final option is available for organizations that use Microsoft cloud-based update management solutions such as Microsoft Intune. These may get a 25% discount on ESU licensing. This drops the price in the first year to $45 per user (up to five devices). The price is still doubling each year.

What about home users?

Microsoft did not reveal any information on the ESU pricing for home users. It is still more than a year before the official end of support for the operating system. Clearly, Microsoft wants organizations and home users to upgrade to Windows 11 instead. This is the first recommendation of the article. The second is to purchase a new PC with Windows 11.

Home users who cannot upgrade to Windows 11 officially and do not want to (or can) buy a new PC face a tough decision. ESU would give them three extra years of updates.

Another option to extend support is to use the services of 0Patch. The third-party micro-patching business creates security patches for various Microsoft products that are no longer supported by Microsoft. It will do the same for Windows 10 once it runs out. This does require a subscription as well, but it is available for about $25 per year.

Closing Words

Extended Security updates are not cheap. A three year subscription is available for $427 ($315 for the cloud-based option). If the pricing is similar for home users, it would make the extension quite expensive.

What about you? Do you run Windows 10 and plan to extend its life through ESU?

Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post Microsoft reveals Windows 10 ESU pricing: starts at $61 appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, Apr 3, 2024
  2. malware Win User

Microsoft Windows Vista Prices Revealed

Microsoft has accidentally leaked some details of the price of its next-generation operating system. U.S. full/upgrade prices:
    • Windows Vista Ultimate $349/$199
    • Windows Vista Business $269/179
    • Windows Vista Home Premium $239/$139
    • Windows Vista Home Basic $199/$99
    Source: ZDNet

malware, Apr 3, 2024
  3. BAAnderz Win User
    Unclear about Windows 7 Professional available for ESU

I have two machines running Windows 7 Professional. They are connected to scientific equipment that will not have compliant software available until 2021. The machines are connected to a network/internet. Is the ESU plan available for Windows 7 Professional
    machines as listed in the ESU documents? If so, how can I purchase it? We are a small business and do not have volume pricing or enterprise planning.

BAAnderz, Apr 3, 2024
  4. LemP Win User

Windows 7 ESU

ESU are available ONLY to businesses (although Microsoft's definition of "business" is pretty wide). And it appears that ESU will be available through January 2023.

FAQ about Extended Security Updates:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4527878/faq-about-extended-security-updates-for-windows-7

Also see:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/mic...small-midsize-businesses-stay-secure-current/

Build and sell your solutions— with the Microsoft AI Cloud Partner Program

From the blog post above:

LemP, Apr 3, 2024
Thema:

1. Microsoft reveals Windows 10 ESU pricing: starts at $61 - Similar Threads - Microsoft reveals ESU

2. Windows 10 ESU question

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 ESU question: Where I can find and buy extended security updates for windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-esu-question/bb256926-4ec1-4cc7-a539-366a6ce531c3
  3. Windows 10 ESU question

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 ESU question: Where I can find and buy extended security updates for windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-esu-question/bb256926-4ec1-4cc7-a539-366a6ce531c3
  4. Windows 10 ESU question

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Microsoft reveals Windows 10’s redesigned Start menu

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft reveals Windows 10’s redesigned Start menu: We recently reported Microsoft will be removing Live Tiles from Windows 10’s Start menu and new design concept from the company, appears to confirm that. Windows 10’s new Start menu has tile-based static icons with a touch of Microsoft’s Fluent Design, but it looks like Live...
  6. Windows 10 prices

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 prices: Can anyone tell me why activating Windows 10 from the Microsoft Store is way more expensive than buying the USB download from Microsoft.com? The Microsoft Store is saying $175 while on Microsoft.com it's only $139. I've already installed Windows and just need the activation...
  7. Windows 10 pricing

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 pricing: Hi I am a faculty member at a university in Pakistan. The Imagine program doesn't provide free OS to faculty anymore. It is available @ $15. A local vendor's website offers Windows 10 Professional for Pakistan Rupees 12900, which is cheaper. I am confused why that is so. Is...
  8. Microsoft raised the price of Windows 10 but.....

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Microsoft raised the price of Windows 10 but.....: Hi, In November, Microsoft raised the price of Windows 10 through Home & Pro Editions. But it is the same as the functions. Microsoft have any plans to release restrictions on same features to raising price? (Ex, Windows To Go)...
  9. Specs and price of GPD Pocket 2, the pocketable Windows 10 device revealed

in Windows 10 News
    Specs and price of GPD Pocket 2, the pocketable Windows 10 device revealed: GPD Pocket 2 is arriving sooner than expected as the product page has been published on Indiegogo although the crowdfunding campaign is not yet live. GPD Pocket 2 is a pocket-sized ‘ultra-sleek’ laptop powered by a full version of Windows 10 Home operating system. “We’re...
  10. Windows 10 - Price?

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 - Price?: I don't know if this question is already asked, but I'm curious will this be a free since I heard Windows 9 will be free, but looks like they renamed it to Windows 10, or there will be a standard price for this Windows 19? 2205