Windows 10: Microsoft revives Power Toys program, makes it open source

Discus and support Microsoft revives Power Toys program, makes it open source in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Remember Power Toys? If you worked on PCs when Windows 95 or XP were en vogue, you may remember that Microsoft released a number of useful tools back... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, May 8, 2019.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

Microsoft revives Power Toys program, makes it open source

Remember Power Toys? If you worked on PCs when Windows 95 or XP were en vogue, you may remember that Microsoft released a number of useful tools back then to extend the functionality of the Windows operating system.

In 2006, we reviewed TweakUI, an official program by Microsoft to make several changes to the operating system. Other programs included XMouse, a program that would focus a window with the mouse without clicks, Power Calculator, an advanced graphical calculator, Virtual Desktop Manager, Send to X which added more locations to the Send To menu, or CabView which displayed the content of Cab files.

The Reboot

Microsoft revives Power Toys program, makes it open source WindowsKeyShortcutGuide.jpg

Microsoft made the decision to reboot the PowerToys project; development stopped after Windows XP for the most part, and the new project is the first attempt to revive it.

The project is inspired by PowerToys from the Windows 95 era according to the project description on GitHub.

Inspired by the Windows 95 era PowerToys project, this reboot provides power users with ways to squeeze more efficiency out of the Windows 10 shell and customize it for individual workflows

It is unclear if the tools of the new PowerToys program will work under previous versions of the Windows operating system, or only on Windows 10.

Microsoft revives Power Toys program, makes it open source MTNDWidget.jpg

The rebooted PowerToys project is open source; source code and programs will be released on GitHub, and Microsoft hopes that the first bits will become available in Summer 2019.

The company revealed the first two programs of the new PowerToys.

• Maximize to new desktop widget -- The first program displays a new button when users hover with the mouse cursor over the maximize button on any window. A click on the new button sends the app to a new desktop and maximizes it on that new desktop.
    • Windows key shortcut guide -- The program displays a shortcut reference or cheat sheet when the Windows-key is held down for more than one second. It displays available shortcuts "for the current state of the desktop".

Microsoft considers several other tools currently. While no decision has been made, the company asks the community for active input.

• Full window manager including specific layouts for docking and undocking laptops
    • Keyboard shortcut manager
    • Win+R replacement
    • Better alt+tab including browser tab integration and search for running apps
    • Battery tracker
    • Batch file re-namer
    • Quick resolution swaps in taskbar
    • Mouse events without focus
    • Cmd (or PS or Bash) from here
    • Contents menu file browsing

If you ask me, I'd like to see an official keyboard shortcut manager, improved window manager, and Win+R replacement. PowerToys are extra components that users may install on their devices just like any third-party application.

Closing Words

I used different PowerToys a lot back in the days and the revival is certainly a good idea as it adds optional functionality to the Windows operating system. Whether the tools will be Windows 10 exclusive remains to be seen, though.

Now You: Feel free to share your opinion about the reboot or PowerToys in general below. (via Born)

Ghacks needs you. You can find out how to support us here (https://www.ghacks.net/support/) or support the site directly by becoming a Patreon (https://www.patreon.com/ghacks)). Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post Microsoft revives Power Toys program, makes it open source appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, May 8, 2019

2. open source software

ok guys i seriously need some help on this one. *Eek! Microsoft revives Power Toys program, makes it open source :eek: at school i took a programing class with having no previous programming knowledge. any ways the teacher told us to pick a open source program and make a presentation about it.*Mad Microsoft revives Power Toys program, makes it open source :mad:

i have no idea about any programs besides Mozilla, and limewire.
    i tried googleing but not many useful results.

can you help make a list of popular open source programs?*Smile Microsoft revives Power Toys program, makes it open source :)

thanks guys.

i nEeD HeLp, May 8, 2019
  3. Brink Win User
    Microsoft Makes it Official: Becomes Sponsor of Open Source Initiative

Source: Microsoft Makes it Official: Becomes Sponsor of Open Source Initiative | Open Source Initiative

Brink, May 8, 2019
  4. btarunr Win User

HP to Contribute webOS to Open Source

HP today announced it will contribute the webOS software to the open source community. HP plans to continue to be active in the development and support of webOS. By combining the innovative webOS platform with the development power of the open source community, there is the opportunity to significantly improve applications and web services for the next generation of devices.

webOS offers a number of benefits to the entire ecosystem of web applications. For developers, applications can be easily built using standard web technologies. In addition, its single integrated stack offers multiplatform portability. For device manufacturers, it provides a single web-centric platform to run across multiple devices. As a result, the end user benefits from a fast, immersive user experience.

“webOS is the only platform designed from the ground up to be mobile, cloud-connected and scalable,” said Meg Whitman, HP president and chief executive officer. “By contributing this innovation, HP unleashes the creativity of the open source community to advance a new generation of applications and devices.”

HP will make the underlying code of webOS available under an open source license. Developers, partners, HP engineers and other hardware manufacturers can deliver ongoing enhancements and new versions into the marketplace.

HP will engage the open source community to help define the charter of the open source project under a set of operating principles:
    • The goal of the project is to accelerate the open development of the webOS platform
    • HP will be an active participant and investor in the project
    • Good, transparent and inclusive governance to avoid fragmentation
    • Software will be provided as a pure open source project
    HP also will contribute ENYO, the application framework for webOS, to the community in the near future along with a plan for the remaining components of the user space.

Beginning today, developers and customers are invited to provide input and suggestions here.

btarunr, May 8, 2019
Thema:

1. Microsoft revives Power Toys program, makes it open source - Similar Threads - Microsoft revives Power

2. Power Toys v0.62.0

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Power Toys v0.62.0: Is it required to have the .net runtime installed if I have the full .net framework already installed in order to run Power Toys? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/power-toys-v0620/c514a507-3377-4abc-afa4-6a78eaf3c14a
  3. Power Toys v0.62.0

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Power Toys v0.62.0: Is it required to have the .net runtime installed if I have the full .net framework already installed in order to run Power Toys? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/power-toys-v0620/c514a507-3377-4abc-afa4-6a78eaf3c14a
  4. Power Toys v0.62.0

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Power Toys Info

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Power Toys Info: Power Toys is now version v0.53.3 and includes new Mouse UtilitiesCheers,Drew https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/power-toys-info/01d53f97-6977-4a19-b00a-9f1058356d6a
  6. Power Toys Info

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Power Toys Info: Power Toys is now version v0.53.3 and includes new Mouse UtilitiesCheers,Drew https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/power-toys-info/01d53f97-6977-4a19-b00a-9f1058356d6a
  7. Program Driver Reviver

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Program Driver Reviver: Is the program Driver Reviver a product of or recommended by Microsoft https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/program-driver-reviver/9ec7dc30-f639-4a91-b5a9-b38f41f6e24c
  8. Power toys can not open preview

in Windows 10 Customization
    Power toys can not open preview: I can not open the power toys "home page" to see that selections are features. I just click on the icon and nothing happens. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/power-toys-can-not-open-preview/0c4f936c-cad1-40cb-ba28-3ef2549119a5
  9. Cant uninstall Microsoft Power Toys.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Cant uninstall Microsoft Power Toys.: Whenever I try to uninstall Microsoft Power Toys it just crashes explorer. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-uninstall-microsoft-power-toys/df84aa7e-0329-4d50-bd1a-b2b0d015c9fe
  10. Microsoft Power Toys Power Rename

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Microsoft Power Toys Power Rename: My camera svaes my picture files as IMG_1807.jpg, IMG_1808.jpg and so on. I wish to Power Rename all such files simple numeric 1.jpg, 2.jpg, etc. How can I do it?...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 cheat sheet printablewindows 10 cheat sheet printable

2. 1 Microsoft Wprintable list of keyboard shortcuts

3. windows 10 cheat sheet printable