Windows 10: Microsoft rolls out KB5004945 emergency Windows Update to fix PrintNightmare...

Discus and support Microsoft rolls out KB5004945 emergency Windows Update to fix PrintNightmare... in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Microsoft has had a troubled year dealing with Windows Updates causing printer issues. The latest problem that has affected printers is called... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Jul 8, 2021.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

Microsoft rolls out KB5004945 emergency Windows Update to fix PrintNightmare...

Microsoft has had a troubled year dealing with Windows Updates causing printer issues. The latest problem that has affected printers is called PrintNightmare, which is a remote code execution vulnerability.

Microsoft rolls out KB5004945 emergency Windows Update to fix PrintNightmare... Microsoft-rolls-out-KB5004945-emergency-Windows-Updates-to-fix-PrintNightmare-vulnerabilities.jpg

Martin wrote an article about this, where he explains a couple of workarounds to deal with the issue that exploits the Print Spooler service.

Microsoft is rolling out an emergency Windows Update called KB5004945 to address the PrintNightmare vulnerabilities. The CVE-2021-34527 security advisory, confirms that the issue affects all versions of Windows. The announcement page for the update recommends users to install the update as soon as possible.

The summary for the patch states that it fixes the remote code execution vulnerabilities.

KB5005010 Update

The release notes for a second patch, called KB5005010, tell us that the update will prevent non-administrator users from installing new printer drivers. The operating system will only allow signed printer drivers for delegates, while non-signed drivers will require admin privileges. The security fix changes the Point and Print policy's registry value to 0, to prevent unauthorized elevation of privileges.

The July 2021 out-of-band update will appear as a cumulative update. It is also available from the Microsoft Windows Update Catalog. You will need to restart the computer to finish patching the computer. It bumped the version number from Windows 10 2004 Build 19041.1055 to Build 19041.1083. The update isn't available for the Windows 11 Insider Preview build that was released a week ago, and rumors suggest that this could be one of the reasons by the Beta release that was scheduled to be released this week has been postponed.

KB5004945 is preventing Zebra printers from printing

Users at the Reddit's sysadmin forums have reported that the KB5004945 update is preventing Zebra printers from printing documents, and that the company's customer support has instructed users to roll back (aka uninstall) the update, to get the devices working.

Hackers say they have bypassed the patch

While it appears that the printing security woes have been resolved, security researchers say they have bypassed the security patches that were included in the KB5004945 emergency update. If the computer has already been configured to use the Point and Print policy, hackers can invoke the LPE (local privilege escalation) or RCE (Remote Code Execution) to gain access to the system. The company has told Bleeping Computer that it is investigating the bypasses.

The researchers term the update as unsatisfactory (or incomplete), as in it doesn't protect the systems completely, and have advised users to keep the Print Spooler service disabled, until a proper fix is issued by Microsoft.

I'm no security expert, but from my understanding, the bypass only appears to be valid when the Point and Print policy has been enabled, and has been configured not to show the elevation prompt. However, Microsoft's support page clearly indicates that the registry key for the policy does not exist, and that the elevation prompt is not hidden, which theoretically means that users should be safe if they have installed the patch.

Microsoft rolls out KB5004945 emergency Windows Update to fix PrintNightmare... KB5004945-emergency-Windows-Update.jpg

To make sure you aren't affected, you can manually create the registry key as follows,

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows NT\Printers\PointAndPrint

NoWarningNoElevationOnInstall = 0 (DWORD) or not defined (default setting)

NoWarningNoElevationOnUpdate = 0 (DWORD) or not defined (default setting)

Are you facing any printer issues since installing the KB5004945 update?

Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post Microsoft rolls out KB5004945 emergency Windows Update to fix PrintNightmare vulnerabilities, but it seems to be affecting Zebra printers appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, Jul 8, 2021
  2. T J
    T J Win User

Win 10 update strategy advice

I'm no expert but "Microsoft pushes emergency update for Windows PrintNightmare zero-day"
    I check 'windows update' often, and got KB5004945 today. My 20H2 Dell is working great.

3. Seeking advice on Updating to 21H1 with KB5004945 on my doorstep.

This is for the print bug. Microsoft releases emergency fix for "PrintNightmare" vulnerability on all versions of Windows. Now I don't know if it affects printers/PCs that are single users as all the articles mention "print servers".

I guess my question to those who know: If you are a sole user with no "server" is it still a critical bug? Like what if you have a printer connected directly to your one PC is it still affected?

Bobby Phoenix, Jul 8, 2021
  4. Steve C Win User

Steve C, Jul 8, 2021
Thema:

1. Microsoft rolls out KB5004945 emergency Windows Update to fix PrintNightmare... - Similar Threads - Microsoft rolls KB5004945

2. Please roll out a fix in updates

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Please roll out a fix in updates: Hello Microsoft,I am posting this because of who I work for.In December 2021, an update was rolled out when the issue was first rolled out. My computer started to slow down. Keep in mind, my computers are not old. All of the computers in my home started to slow down. My main...
  3. Please roll out a fix in updates

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Please roll out a fix in updates: Hello Microsoft,I am posting this because of who I work for.In December 2021, an update was rolled out when the issue was first rolled out. My computer started to slow down. Keep in mind, my computers are not old. All of the computers in my home started to slow down. My main...
  4. Please roll out a fix in updates

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. KB5004945 patch "PrintNightmare"

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    KB5004945 patch "PrintNightmare": Hello, I initially rolled out the KB5004945 patch via Intune in July. Lately the patch has stopped installing with Error code: 0x80070017Is this because there is another cumulative update that has been pushed via windows updates that takes precedence? If so which KB is it and...
  6. Microsoft is rolling out emergency fix for Windows 10 printing issues

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft is rolling out emergency fix for Windows 10 printing issues: On July 6, Microsoft released the emergency security updates to supported Windows 10 versions. While the updates brought the important bug fixes for PrintNightmare vulnerability, several users began reporting printing failures and Blue Screen of Death errors. The bug –...
  7. Microsoft PrintNightmare Update KB5004945 Fails To Install

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Microsoft PrintNightmare Update KB5004945 Fails To Install: I have difficulties installing the new update. Actually, I never had any issue installing windows updates but the recent update won't install and raises Error while installing! The Error: "There were some problems installing updates, but we'll try again later. If you keep...
  8. Zebra LP2844 Printers not working because of update KB5004945 - PrintNightmare

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Zebra LP2844 Printers not working because of update KB5004945 - PrintNightmare: Hi everyone.After the latest windows 10 update KB5004945 - PrintNightmare, all the "Zebra printers LP2844" stopped printing, and it's a very popular issue, we're getting calls every single day about it, from all over the UKI UK-Ireland market.The only option is to delete the...
  9. Windows 10 KB5004945 emergency update released to fix PrintNightmare

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 KB5004945 emergency update released to fix PrintNightmare: Windows 10 KB5004945 emergency update is rolling out to address a new Windows zero-day vulnerability called “PrintNightmare”. According to reports, PrintNightmare vulnerability is being actively exploited by attackers to achieve local privilege and remote code execution on...
  10. Windows 10 emergency update is rolling out to fix BSOD crashes

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 emergency update is rolling out to fix BSOD crashes: As we’ve reported previously, Windows 10 PCs have reportedly been seriously disrupted by Microsoft’s round of January and February patching. This time, Microsoft has acknowledged the reports and already started rolling out an ’emergency’ update to address the bug. The last...