Windows 10: Microsoft says most Win32 apps will work on Windows 10 X

Discus and support Microsoft says most Win32 apps will work on Windows 10 X in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; On February 11, Microsoft shared more details of Windows 10 X for dual-screen and various third-party foldable devices. As rumoured for months, Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinLatest, Feb 11, 2020.

1. WinLatest New Member

Microsoft says most Win32 apps will work on Windows 10 X

On February 11, Microsoft shared more details of Windows 10 X for dual-screen and various third-party foldable devices. As rumoured for months, Windows 10 X won’t be limited to Store apps only and the operating system will be able to run UWP, PWAs, web apps, and even Win32 apps.

As we’ve reported, Microsoft plans to run apps by using containers on Windows 10 X. Microsoft says every Windows 10 X apps including Win32, UWP, and PWAs will run in containers to improve the performance of the devices and secure the actual system.

Microsoft’s Container is said to be lightweight and it’s based on a similar moded used by Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL). The container is loaded only when it’s required by the applications.

Windows 10 X currently comes with three types of containers aimed at different application architecture. There is a container for Win32 apps, MSIX and UWP apps (native). With Containers, Microsoft is hoping to provide the highest (backward) compatibility levels for existing apps including Electrons apps such as Facebook Messenger.

Microsoft says most Win32 apps will work on Windows 10 X Windows-10-X.jpg

Like traditional emulators, Win32 container has also been designed to run all Win32 apps, so there won’t be a separate container for each app. The Win32 container has its own kernel and drivers, which allows it to provide the highest compatibility for existing apps.

If no apps are running within the Win32 container, it goes away and this contributes to longer battery life.

Microsoft says ‘most’ existing Win32 desktops app will work on Windows 10 X without any modifications required from the developer, but there will be some instances where some apps may not work properly.

Developers can also improve their existing Win32 apps to work better with the new features of Windows 10 X and Microsoft is also willing to work with devs to ensure all apps work.

In addition, Microsoft said Windows 10 X’s new Windows Update system can install feature updates in less than 90 seconds. Microsoft also confirmed that it won’t allow manual installation of the drivers, which means all drivers will be managed via Windows Update for security and performance reasons.

Microsoft believes that most of the users will never run into any app compatibility issues. You can expect all mainstream apps such as Chrome, Firefox, Office, Adobe, and other popular apps to run without issue.

The post Microsoft says most Win32 apps will work on Windows 10 X appeared first on Windows Latest

Weiterlesen...

WinLatest, Feb 11, 2020
  2. Endeavour Win User

Microsoft Adds Ability to Block Win32 Apps from Install on Windows 10

The problem with this is that it may be a way to gradually force you into the store.
    In the past Telemetry was also opt-in. Then it was opt-out. Now you can´t turn it off unless you buy the enterprise version of Win10.

In a few months we will have the free Windows 10 Cloud OS with no Win32 app support. To be able to use Win32 apps you'll need to buy a home/pro license for $150 (if you don´t have one already). And some years from now it may be only available on enterprise versions.
    I wouldn´t be surprised if some manufacturers start shipping their PCs/laptops with Win 10 Cloud only.

And BTW, looking at the current trends, it´s only a matter of time before the paid version of Windows becomes a subscription service too.

Endeavour, Feb 11, 2020
  3. R-T-B Win User

Yeah, if you can't tell by the editorial, I know a few who would benefit too.

I'm just concerned about the fact its possibly a step towards putting Win32 in a coffin. Albeit a small one. But we all start somewhere.

Right now, just a discussion starter more than a serious issue.

PS: I'm very tired today, so this is a bit more of a "wild and loose" editorial than my usual.

R-T-B, Feb 11, 2020
  4. Microsoft says most Win32 apps will work on Windows 10 X

That's actually a certainty already. Microsoft wants to create a competing product against Chromebook. I'm sure this is one of the features that bring them closer to that.

UWP is "significantly slower" than Win32. Probably 10-30%. UWP is completely managed (memory pointers are forbidden) like .NET Framework is. They're very closely linked. UWP can be made to run on any processor architecture (ARM, x86, and AMD64 right now). I believe UWP has a path for emulating Win32 too (they demonstrated this in a Windows Phone 10 feature).

FordGT90Concept, Feb 11, 2020
Thema:

Microsoft says most Win32 apps will work on Windows 10 X

1. Microsoft says most Win32 apps will work on Windows 10 X - Similar Threads - Microsoft says Win32

2. Most Microsoft apps Crash after Windows 10 update and search does not work

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Most Microsoft apps Crash after Windows 10 update and search does not work: After the last MS update, I realized there was a problem when my search bar would not work in the start menu nor in file explorer. Then problems progressed: nearly all apps that come with Windows 10 crash. Microsoft tried resetting problem apps, and finally recommended...
  3. Most Microsoft Photos app keyboard shortcuts not working

Most Microsoft Photos app keyboard shortcuts not working: Hello,In the Microsoft Photos app, the keyboard shortcuts Ctrl+E edit, Ctrl+W exit and Ctrl+0 reset zoom are no longer working. They were working fine a last week. I use these three a lot. Other keyboard shortcuts, like Ctrl+R rotate, Ctrl++ zoom in and Ctrl+- zoom out, are...
  4. Can win32 app be published in Microsoft store?

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Can win32 app be published in Microsoft store?: Hello everybody,I found here a community post of 2020 that states win32 app should be packaged through UUP bridge to publish in the store.Is there any policy change regarding win32 app publishing in recent times? Is it possible now to publish non-packaged desktop app?...
  5. Microsoft says it’s working on new features and apps for Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft says it’s working on new features and apps for Windows 10: It looks like Microsoft is planning some new features and app experiences for Windows 10, according to a new job posting. Microsoft appears to be forming a new group within the Windows division to focus on improving existing Windows 10 inbox apps, like Microsoft Photos. So,...
  6. Win32 apps in the Microsoft Store?

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Win32 apps in the Microsoft Store?: Hello everybody, in the last month it was repeatedly in the media, that Microsoft will not only allow UWP but also win32 apps like games in the Microsoft Store. Does this currently still "only" concern apps which have been converted to UWP apps using deskop bridge or can now...
  7. Windows 10 X to support Win32 apps, Sandbox & other features

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 X to support Win32 apps, Sandbox & other features: The foldable and dual-screen computers could be the next big thing, and there will be a version of Windows 10 for it. At the Surface event on October 2, Microsoft announced a new operating system called ‘Windows 10X’ that will power dual-screen devices like the Surface Neo...
  8. Leak document hints at Win32 apps support for Windows 10 X

in Windows 10 News
    Leak document hints at Win32 apps support for Windows 10 X: On October 2, Microsoft unveiled the Windows 10 X (a new version of Windows 10) alongside Surface Neo and Surface Duo. According to Microsoft executives, the OS is specifically created for dual-screen devices, but Windows 10 X is expected to be available in late 2020 for...
  9. x is not a valid Win32 Application

x is not a valid Win32 Application: I'd like to understand why Win XP reports something is not a valid Win32 application. Relevance to W10 - the application is built on W10 using VS2017. I thought I had taken appropriate care to not use APIs that aren't available in Win XP. But when it's installed on Win XP...
  10. x is not a valid Win32 Application

in Windows 10 Support
    x is not a valid Win32 Application: I'd like to understand why Win XP reports something is not a valid Win32 application. Relevance to W10 - the application is built on W10 using VS2017. I thought I had taken appropriate care to not use APIs that aren't available in Win XP. But when it's installed on Win XP...