Windows 10: Microsoft says Windows 10 v.1703 reached EOL a while ago, why does it still receive updates...

Discus and support Microsoft says Windows 10 v.1703 reached EOL a while ago, why does it still receive updates... in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; For our company, I am trying to get a grasp on OS updating. We still have a couple of machines running 1703 that are considered EOL, but still recieve... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by govgov, Jul 28, 2020.

1. govgov Win User

Microsoft says Windows 10 v.1703 reached EOL a while ago, why does it still receive updates...

For our company, I am trying to get a grasp on OS updating. We still have a couple of machines running 1703 that are considered EOL, but still recieve updates. We've already rolled out the latest, but to deal with stragglers I'd like to just push the package.

Is Microsoft still supporting 1703? How do your teams handle updating MS versions?

:)

govgov, Jul 28, 2020
  2. newtekie1 Win User

NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GX2 Reaches EOL in Three Months?

Wait, since when has EOL meant support stopped? Even in Windows, EOL didn't mean support stopped, it just meant production and sales stopped.

Just look at Windows 98, Microsoft EOL'd it in 2004, but continued support into 2006. EOL does not mean support for the product ends, it just means the product isn't being produced anymore.

The 7 series cards have long been EOL'd, and they still get driver updates and support.

newtekie1, Jul 28, 2020
  3. P4-630 Win User
    Microsoft to push automatic Windows 10 upgrades in 2016

"Microsoft has announced that Windows 10 will be automatically rolled out next year to all users of its older operating systems who have selected to receive updates.

Until now, users of Windows 7 and 8 have needed to register to upgrade to Windows 10. But that's about to change: soon the OS will be listed as an 'Optional Update' and -- from 2016 -- a 'recommended' update that will automatically install itself, if users have opted to receive updates in that way.*Shadedshun :shadedshu:

You can opt out of automatic updates to avoid this, but Microsoftsays that "we strongly discourage this in today’s connected world because of the constant risk of internet threats". You can also change your Windows Update settings to install critical updates but not recommended ones. Although it's still going to be possible to avoid installation, Microsoft seems quite determined for everyone to be using Windows 10 in near future.

The roll-out of reserved updates was initially staggered but, according to Microsoft, now Windows "will automatically kick off the upgrade process once you have made a reservation".

As an intermediate stage, Microsoft says that it will "soon" publish Windows 10 as an optional update, not installed by default, but accessible to all users.
    "

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive...rade-to-be-rolled-out-automatically-next-year

P4-630, Jul 28, 2020
  4. desennium Win User

Microsoft says Windows 10 v.1703 reached EOL a while ago, why does it still receive updates...

Microsoft Windows 10 Fall Creators Update Available Today

Microsoft released Windows 10, code named "Threshold 1," a little over two years ago. As of May of this year, there were approximately 500 million Windows 10 devices worldwide. Originally, Microsoft predicted that Windows 10 would be installed on 1 billion devices by mid-2018. When released, Windows 10 gained huge adoption from those running Windows 7 from the "free-upgrade program" which lasted one year.

Since then however, installations have slowly declined and in July of last year, Microsoft admitted that they would miss their projected goal of 1 billion devices. Since its release, Windows 10 has had three major update releases with "Threshold 2," in 2015, "Anniversary Update," in 2016, "Creators Update" in April of this year and today marks the release of Microsoft's fourth major feature update to its operating system, dubbed "Fall Creators Update," version 1709.

Today's update brings about many new features including:
    • OneDrive On demand (formerly known as OneDrive Placeholders introduced in WIndows 8.1) a way to keep track of your files stored on OneDrive from any of your devices without having to store them locally.
    • 'My People' Hub Integration makes it easier to stay in touch with people right from the taskbar
    • Story Remix gives you to the tools and the power to create content from your photos and videos to make memorable stories
    • Windows Mixed Reality brings a new generation of augmented reality where the real world meets the digital one.
    • Fluent Design System is Microsoft's new design that will take place over the next few years with each feature update. Microsoft intends to make all products and devices one user interface and it begins with the Fall Creators Update.

Furthermore, Microsoft has made changes and brings privacy enhancements with today's update. The Fall Creators Update gives users more control of what information is being collected. Users will be greeted with the Privacy Statement on the setup process to get an idea of what information that entails. Microsoft is also adding two game anti-cheating systems, called TruePlay and Game Monitor, to address the problem of cheating similarly to what VAC (Valve Anti-Cheating) does for Steam.

The Fall Creators Update is available today but will be rolled out in stages as usual. Newer devices most compatible with Windows 10 will receive the update first. The rollout will take several months before everyone is updated. However, if you don't see today's update you can use the Update Assistant Tool to manually update now, here.

Source: Microsoft

desennium, Jul 28, 2020
Thema:

1. Microsoft says Windows 10 v.1703 reached EOL a while ago, why does it still receive updates... - Similar Threads - Microsoft says 1703

2. Why am I still getting updates published after Windows 7's EOL?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why am I still getting updates published after Windows 7's EOL?: The newest update I've gotten was published on February 8, 2022 image belowPlease note that I did not purchase ESU https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-am-i-still-getting-updates-published-after/a25f1836-f1b9-4817-a724-4e5ae2b4b34b
  3. Why am I still getting updates published after Windows 7's EOL?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why am I still getting updates published after Windows 7's EOL?: The newest update I've gotten was published on February 8, 2022 image belowPlease note that I did not purchase ESU https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-am-i-still-getting-updates-published-after/a25f1836-f1b9-4817-a724-4e5ae2b4b34b
  4. Does windows to go still receive security updates

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Does windows to go still receive security updates: Please can someone clarify if Windows 10 Enterprise 1607 windows to go WTG receive security updates https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/does-windows-to-go-still-receive-security-updates/fe30517f-c426-4fc3-8639-f5b1d5112f41
  5. Does windows to go still receive security updates

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Does windows to go still receive security updates: Please can someone clarify if Windows 10 Enterprise 1607 windows to go WTG receive security updates https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/does-windows-to-go-still-receive-security-updates/fe30517f-c426-4fc3-8639-f5b1d5112f41
  6. Does windows to go still receive security updates

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. Will windows automatically run updates if your current version reaches EOL?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Will windows automatically run updates if your current version reaches EOL?: Got a cheap PC for my non-tech parents a long time ago - they just use it for youtube and googling recipes. Just for peace of mind, do you guys know what happens if for some reason, their PC's window version exceeds the End of Service dates? Windows won't just not work for...
  8. Microsoft says Windows 10 will receive fewer updates next month

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft says Windows 10 will receive fewer updates next month: Microsoft says it will suspend the rollout of Windows 10 optional preview updates in December 2020 due to “minimal operations” at its Redmond headquarters. Microsoft has been pushing multiple updates every month, but it’s time for a brief pause in proceedings. Microsoft has...
  9. How to stop receiving features updates COMPLETELY while still continue to receive security...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to stop receiving features updates COMPLETELY while still continue to receive security...: Microsoft keeps implementing things I found idiotic like the new Search engine and I don't need them. How can I disable them completely, allowing only security updates to install?...
  10. Windows 10 update 1703

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 update 1703: I found this update this morning. It has been "installing" now for 3 hours and sees to be in a loop where it shows Dowloading Updates, Preparing to install updates, then goes back to Downloading Updates. Is this a loop or wilI it complete? 91723