Windows 10: Microsoft says Windows as a Service has major advantages

Discus and support Microsoft says Windows as a Service has major advantages in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Microsoft changed the traditional development, testing, and delivery of Windows operating system versions and updates with the release of Windows 10.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Jul 22, 2019.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

Microsoft says Windows as a Service has major advantages

Microsoft changed the traditional development, testing, and delivery of Windows operating system versions and updates with the release of Windows 10.

The traditional approach saw the release of a new major version of Windows, e.g. Windows 7 or Windows 8.1, every three years, and the release of service packs, monthly security updates, and other updates besides that.

Windows 10 uses a different release scheme. Microsoft releases two feature updates per year, security updates every month just like before, and a second cumulative update for testing.

Microsoft says Windows as a Service has major advantages gets-better-most-recent.jpg

Microsoft employee Sean McLaren published a new article at the end of May 2019 in which he highlighted the advantages of Windows as a Service. He mentioned "improved stability", "more secure", "more productive", and "lower total cost of ownership" as four main reasons why Windows as a Service is more effective than the traditional approach.

Improved stability: With Windows 10, we work to deliver monthly quality updates to over 800 million active Windows 10 devices, 35 million application titles (with more than 175 million application versions), and 16 million unique hardware/driver combinations. Staying current means your devices benefit from the latest features and enhancements as well as fixes for known issues.

More secure: Staying current in the age of the digital transformation is the best way to protect against threats. A regular rhythm of monthly updates shifts control away from potential attackers and in your favor.

More productive: Don’t take productivity for granted as a “nice to have.” In addition to the hundreds of Windows 10 user-focused features introduced over time, there have been countless additions designed specifically to make the life of the IT professional easier and more manageable.

Lower total cost of ownership (TCO): Staying up to date with the latest Windows feature and monthly updates will not only improve productivity, it will ultimately lower the total cost of ownership by helping you focus application compatibility testing, reduce security risk and remediation costs, reduce support costs, and enable more effective employee-customer interactions.

If you take a good hard look at the advantages, you may notice that most of them, maybe even all, apply to previous versions of Windows as well or could be adopted easily.

Take More Secure for example; all versions of Windows that are still supported get monthly security updates. There is nothing special about Windows 10 in that regard. Microsoft could have highlighted that it integrated EMET protections natively or added new protections, but the company made the deliberate decision to include these features only in Windows 10. It would have been easy to introduce these in earlier versions of well.

Microsoft may have data on stability but if you look at the number of issues of updates and features updates, you may question that data. Windows 10 may work stable for most users but so do previous versions of Windows.

More productive and lower total cost of ownership fall into the same category. The feature additions to Windows 10 that Microsoft mentions could have been added to a traditional version of Windows as well.

Closing Words

The article reads like an advertisement for Windows 10 and the new release model. If you ask users what they don't like about it you may get "forced upgrades", "too many feature updates", "too much telemetry", or "not enough controls" as answers.

The article has been written for a business and Enterprise audience, and things may be a bit different there. Enterprise customers may run any version of Windows 10 for 30 months and not just 18 like the rest, and there is Enterprise LTSC that is good fo r10-year support.

Now You: What is your take on Windows as a Service?

Ghacks needs you. You can find out how to support us here (https://www.ghacks.net/support/) or support the site directly by becoming a Patreon (https://www.patreon.com/ghacks)). Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post Microsoft says Windows as a Service has major advantages appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, Jul 22, 2019

2. windows xp installation and dual core am

could someone please list the steps they follow to install windows with a dual core processor and windows xp service pack to. I'm reletively new to amd dual core and i feel i'm missing a step. All help will be appreciated. thanx

exodusprime1337, Jul 22, 2019
  3. malware Win User
    Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 2 (SP2)

Microsoft quietly rolled out SP2 for Windows Server 2003 today as part of its critical updates list. Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 2 (SP2) is a cumulative service pack that includes the latest updates and provides enhancements to security and stability. In addition, it adds new features and updates to existing Windows Server 2003 features and utilities. The SP2 update can be applied to all Windows Server 2003/Windows XP Professional x64 Edition products.

Source: Microsoft

malware, Jul 22, 2019
  4. Microsoft says Windows as a Service has major advantages

Microsoft to Hold a Big Windows Event in Late-September

Windows 9 is scheduled 2015 wasn't it? So i go for the 'Microsoft and cloud' or other service for enterprise, suggestion.
    Too early for Win 9 this year.

Blín D'ñero, Jul 22, 2019
Thema:

Microsoft says Windows as a Service has major advantages

1. Microsoft says Windows as a Service has major advantages - Similar Threads - Microsoft says Service

2. Windows Defender says "Threat service has stopped", what's going on...??

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Defender says "Threat service has stopped", what's going on...??: Windows Defender doesn't seem to be working fine, and is disabling itself. I think this is quite problematic, I should fix this issue asap, correct?...
  3. Service Host: Network Service using a large majority of data

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Service Host: Network Service using a large majority of data: I have very recently had an issue with this service using a huge amount of data. I have done a windows defender check, a clean boot, but still have not gotten results. I have also turned off delivery optimization but no changes happened. Please help as this has been annoying...
  4. Service Host: Network Service using a large majority of data

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Service Host: Network Service using a large majority of data: I have very recently had an issue with this service using a huge amount of data. I have done a windows defender check, a clean boot, but still have not gotten results. I have also turned off delivery optimization but no changes happened. Please help as this has been annoying...
  5. Service Host: Network Service using a large majority of data

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  6. Microsoft has horrific customer service....

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Microsoft has horrific customer service....: Microsoft in the past has been fairly good with the customer service they have provided, even being outsourced oversea . My recent experience was horrendous . The Philippine call routing service was so bad it took 10 calls and close to 5 hours on hold just to...
  7. Is there any advantage .....

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Is there any advantage .....: to running a static IP. If how to set it up and where to get the settings. "When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe." John Muir...
  8. Advantage and disadvantage when log-in with Microsoft account

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Advantage and disadvantage when log-in with Microsoft account: Hello, What are the advantage and disadvantage when we used Microsoft account to sign-in Windows 10? Thanks 139558
  9. Advantages of UEFI (Windows 10)?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Advantages of UEFI (Windows 10)?: I've been having some trouble with a clean install of Windows 10 done using the Bios route, and I'm considering doing a clean install on a brand new SSD to overcome any mistakes that I made the first time round, and I have two questions: 1) What are the advantages of...
  10. Advantages over Windows 7?

in Windows 10 Support
    Advantages over Windows 7?: I have a 4 year old laptop that was updated from Windows 7 to Windows 10 last Wednesday. The recovery screen says that I have 1 month to decide whether to switch back to Windows 7 (I guess I could do it later too, but that would mean a clean install which is rather time...