Windows 10: Microsoft Security Essentials: Does "allow program" allow the infected program, or all...

Discus and support Microsoft Security Essentials: Does "allow program" allow the infected program, or all... in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I've searched and been unable to find an answer to this question, because Microsoft is unaware that their instructions are dangerously ambiguous.... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Phil Goetz, Jul 6, 2018.

1. Microsoft Security Essentials: Does "allow program" allow the infected program, or all...

I've searched and been unable to find an answer to this question, because Microsoft is unaware that their instructions are dangerously ambiguous.

When Microsoft Security Essentials gives you the options to Remove, Quarantine, or Allow "a program", what does "Allow" mean?

I've always assumed it meant "allow the file on your computer that has been flagged as a virus, but continue detecting other instances of that virus."

But now I have 3 files all flagged with Trojan:Win32/Tilken.B!cl, and MSE only allows me to pick one action (Remove, Quarantine, Allow) for all three!

Does that mean that "Allow" means "allow all instances of Trojan:Win32/Tilken.B!cl, now and forever", since you get to choose only one action?

If so, that's disastrous! My standard action for all viruses is to choose "Allow" and then move the infected file into my own quarantine directory, which I use to test virus scanners. If "Allow" means "Allow all instances of this virus", then my computer has been mostly unprotected by MSE for at least 8 years!

:)

Phil Goetz, Jul 6, 2018
  2. the jimmy Win User

Allowing programs to work

After upgrading from Win 7 to 10 I quickly found out that some programs were not allowed to fully function, such as simply saving a file to a library. I did learn that I can allow programs to function by adding the exe file to Defenders allowed list. Very annoying.
    I recently installed Power Director 16 and had the same issue, added it to the allowed list in defender but still receive this notification.
    I
    Microsoft Security Essentials: Does "allow program" allow the infected program, or all... [​IMG]

How can I fix this, or better yet is there a something I can do to prevent ALL such blocks on any program I have, or install in the future.

Thanks

the jimmy, Jul 6, 2018
  3. Problem allowing program through firewall in Windows 10.

Hello Andrew,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community. We will assist you in resolving the issue.

Before assisting further, I would like to ask you few questions:

• Does the issue persists with a particular program?

• Did you check if you are facing similar issue when you allow other programs through the firewall?

I suggest you to check if similar issue persists if you allow other program to allow through the firewall and when on reboot the program is disabled.

If the issue persists, I suggest you to contact the program developer and check with the program settings.

Write back to us with the status of the issue on the same post for further assistance. Your reply is most important for us to ensure we assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Likhitha V, Jul 6, 2018
  4. alan93 Win User

Microsoft Security Essentials: Does "allow program" allow the infected program, or all...

Firewall no longer allowing "Allowed" program on Inbound Rule

Using Windows 10 and trying to allow a program to access my computer remotely through a specified port.

This used to work by allowing it in the firewall settings and turning on both public and private firewalls.

Now I have to turn off the public firewall to allow it to access my computer remotely even though it is in the inbound rules list with :

Profile: Private, Public

Enabled: Yes

Action: Allow:

Program: [path to program]

Everything else : any

This allowing used to work but now it doesn't.

alan93, Jul 6, 2018
Thema:

Microsoft Security Essentials: Does "allow program" allow the infected program, or all...

1. Microsoft Security Essentials: Does "allow program" allow the infected program, or all... - Similar Threads - Microsoft Security Essentials

2. Allow program to run with admin rights.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Allow program to run with admin rights.: Hello, I have an app that I want to let users run on a windows 10 device but each time it is open it prompts for admin override. How can I allow every user on the computer to be able to use this program? I have already went into security and ensured that everyone had full...
  3. Allow program to run with admin rights.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Allow program to run with admin rights.: Hello, I have an app that I want to let users run on a windows 10 device but each time it is open it prompts for admin override. How can I allow every user on the computer to be able to use this program? I have already went into security and ensured that everyone had full...
  4. Allow program to run with admin rights.

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Can't allow program to run through windows security

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't allow program to run through windows security: So I'm on windows 10 pro and I can't figure out how to allow a program to run that is being blocked by windows security, I looked it up and it says to go to virus and threat protection but when I go there it doesn't look like it should, there's nothing there saying allow...
  6. Allowing ssh to execute programs?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Allowing ssh to execute programs?: Is it possible to allow a user who connects via ssh (openssh server from optional features) to execute programs and java applications like you can do in a regular cmd? (eg. “start whatever.exe“, “java -jar file.jar“) submitted by /u/Daniel2193YT [link] [comments]...
  7. windows wont allow programs to be installed

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    windows wont allow programs to be installed: Really quite fed up after 4 hours trying to get programs to install on new laptop with windows 10. Each time I try and run the install prompted with "the system and has set policies to prevent the installation of this program" I have tried following instructions to turn off...
  8. Allowing Programs access to modify files,

Allowing Programs access to modify files,: Okay, so it turns out somethings a little screwed up with my computer... programs cannot write, or modify files, I'm just seeing this so far with a couple of games, and Eclipse, but when i try and save a file ive been editing, or change some settings, it gives me an error:...
  9. (Allow option) in a AV program.

(Allow option) in a AV program.: I'm looking for a AV (AntiVirus) program that has an Allow Threat or something close on its popup's. I wish not to always send the program away or have it blocked. I know i can add it into the program itself but that has to be done every week when the file is uploaded to me....
  10. Allowing programs to work

Allowing programs to work: After upgrading from Win 7 to 10 I quickly found out that some programs were not allowed to fully function, such as simply saving a file to a library. I did learn that I can allow programs to function by adding the exe file to Defenders allowed list. Very annoying. I...