Windows 10: Microsoft Security Essentials Suddenly Started Doing Very Short Scans

Discus and support Microsoft Security Essentials Suddenly Started Doing Very Short Scans in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I updated Microsoft Security Essentials this morning and immediately performed a Quick Scan, but it only took a matter of seconds and reported that it... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Jaydash 1, Sep 18, 2019.

1. Jaydash 1 Win User

Microsoft Security Essentials Suddenly Started Doing Very Short Scans

I updated Microsoft Security Essentials this morning and immediately performed a Quick Scan, but it only took a matter of seconds and reported that it had scanned just 19 items. It would normally scan tens-of-thousands of items on a computer that hasn't been formatted for about 5 years, wouldn't it? I then performed a Full Scan, and that also scanned just 19 items in a matter of seconds, whereas it usually takes hours on my ageing laptop, especially seeing as I've limited the program's CPU use. So I updated the definitions once again, and there were actually newer definitions despite the fact that the ones I'd downloaded earlier were dated very early today, so I naturally assumed that Microsoft had quickly fixed a problem, but no, it still only scans 19 items. What's going on? The latest definitions that I have are: 1.301.1622.0 and I've made no other changes to my computer.

:)

Jaydash 1, Sep 18, 2019

2. What happen to Microsoft essential can`t do full scan

Hi Javier,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I would appreciate if you could answer a few questions to narrow down the issue in order to provide you with better assistance.

• Are you talking about Windows Defender or MSE, as in windows 10 we have Windows Defender preinstalled?
    • Do you have any other security software installed?
    • Are you getting any error message/code when it get stuck while performing full scan?
    I would suggest you to try the steps provided in the thread mentioned below and see if it helps you to fix the issue.

Microsoft Security Essentials hangs during full scan of Windows 7

Do get back to us with all the information required and result of proposed suggestion. We will be happy to assist you.

Regards,

Ramesh.Kumar, Sep 18, 2019
  3. Microsoft Security Essentials

What is Microsoft Security Essentials?

TheLaughingMan, Sep 18, 2019
  4. Microsoft Security Essentials Suddenly Started Doing Very Short Scans

microsoft security essentials

No.

Microsoft Security Essentials is an anti-virus program which is
    not
    compatible with Windows 10. It was created and available for earlier Windows versions (XP, Vista, 7).

Windows 10 comes with in-built anti-virus program Windows Defender

How to Use the Built-in Windows Defender Antivirus on Windows 10

*************************************************************************************************

You need to do some scans.

See this free, multi-step removal guide:
    http://malwaretips.com/blogs/web-shield-virus/

In case you can't do step 1, move on with the next steps.

If need be, run multiple scans with each of the tools and also
    reboot after each scan.

Note: You might not need Hitman Pro.

Cheers,

J

Jsssssssss, Sep 18, 2019
Thema:

Microsoft Security Essentials Suddenly Started Doing Very Short Scans

1. Microsoft Security Essentials Suddenly Started Doing Very Short Scans - Similar Threads - Microsoft Security Essentials

2. Security Essentials Quick Scan will not complete

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Security Essentials Quick Scan will not complete: How do I fix this, it just keeps spinning. I have Windows 10S. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/security-essentials-quick-scan-will-not-complete/80a3e010-8eed-4fa1-b4df-29ff171d08af
  3. MICROSOFT SECURITY ESSENTIAL

MICROSOFT SECURITY ESSENTIAL: I'VE A PROBLEM WITH UPDATE DEFINITION VIRUS SECURITY ESSENTIL, 'CAUSE SYSTEM DOESN'T INSTALL THEM. PLEASE I'M ITALIAN AND IF IT POSSIBLE FOR YOUR ANSWER USE SIMPLE WORDS....
  4. microsoft security essentials

microsoft security essentials: How do i uninstall when it wont let me i get error code 0x80070643 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/microsoft-security-essentials/d810d3bf-9073-4ec7-a57a-4260a3b4f278
  5. microsoft security essentials

microsoft security essentials: I am seeing yellow for my "MSE" i am "trying to scan it so i clicked on a quick scan it still showing yellow so I take it that did not work. My question is in the settings where it says "run a scheduled scan" well the boxes are checked (i have no idea why or what anything I...
  6. microsoft security essentials

microsoft security essentials: microsoft security essentials error code0x8004FF71 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/microsoft-security-essentials/2a768835-d2a8-42ff-bf8f-a729032a2020
  7. Microsoft Security Essentials

Microsoft Security Essentials: Today I find that the Security Essentials program keeps shutting down. I have tried to restart it several times just to have it shut down moments later. What is the problem?...
  8. Microsoft Security Essentials and scanning

Microsoft Security Essentials and scanning: In my clutter folder I inadvertently clicked on a "banking" link within an email as I was verifying clutter vs legit. The link did not open and was then quarantined by MSE. Trojan Level Severe. I am currently running a full Scan. My question is am I safe? Since it did...
  9. Microsoft Security Essentials scan

Microsoft Security Essentials scan: I am just wondering if it is required to have internet connection to run these scans? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/microsoft-security-essentials-scan/ac855198-6ff5-46a1-8ee8-74c41fe8d108
  10. security essentials scan

security essentials scan: Is there a facility whereby the computer will be shut down if no problems are found https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/mse-protect_start-windows_7/security-essentials-scan/52b3e12c-0c8d-444b-a1a2-8ef69b0ac9d0

Users found this page by searching for:

1. microsoft swcurity essentials only scanned 32 items

2. windows security full scan only taking 19 seconds