Windows 10: Microsoft sets stage for massive Windows 10 upgrade strategy

Discus and support Microsoft sets stage for massive Windows 10 upgrade strategy in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; I found GWX Control Panel Ultimate Outsider - Software Downloads after setting it up, there are no more nag screens, it even has a monitor function to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by davidhk, Dec 8, 2015.

1. Microsoft sets stage for massive Windows 10 upgrade strategy

I haven't had the nag for several weeks now but if it starts up again, I'll certainly give that program a try. Thanks.

newdoverman, Dec 11, 2015
  2. Qdos Win User

Couldn't be bothered with the entire thread, but MS are a PiTA with the W10 upgrade prompts on earlier builds.

In general I've had to twice remove and block particular updates whose only purpose is to serve up nag screens and beguile users into upgrading when they may be best not to.

OK, it doesn't sound much, but when I look after several hundred PC's in diverse locations it's been a real butt pain... *Mad

And that's without taking into account end users who foolishly click on 'restore all updates...'

I'd assumed membership of the former W7 forum mean't one was also a member here, but I've just found out otherwise.

3. BunnyJ New Member
    Hi and welcome to the 10 forums. I understand that MS is a bit pushy with 10 and it's frustrating to some. But overall I find it to be one of the best OS's MS has ever came out with.

Also, I thought a person had to sign up to this site to gain access and no one was automatically enrolled.

BunnyJ, Dec 12, 2015
  4. Ghost82 Win User

Microsoft sets stage for massive Windows 10 upgrade strategy

The best part is that, although they are, basically, forcing users to upgrade, the final solution to some problems is "perform a clean install", which is amazing and very user friendly.

Ghost82, Dec 12, 2015
  5. How is a clean-install "very user-friendly" -- when, unless you know to back up your data and settings, and have the media for reinstalling all your applications, you lose everything in the process?? That doesn't sound at all user-friendly, to me.

Mark Phelps, Dec 12, 2015
  6. CmmTch Win User
    I'm with you Mark, unless you have nothing on your computer "clean install" is a PIA, I have years of stuff, including many, many favorites, probably 40 or 50 shortcuts on the desktop, any number of small installed programs, and I don't even know how many settings I would have to change that are different than default.

Certainly not an iOS fan but AFAIK those move to the next version pretty painlessly. So instead of painlessly upgrading to the next version, now with W10 you have to screw around reinstalling ("clean installing") the upgrade OS. Then if you have the knowledge, and the media, you spend time backing everything up you want to keep. After you've upgraded, reverse the process and put all the backed up items back in the new upgraded OS.

Might be a thing for those that enjoy doing that, but not for me, if an updated OS is going to come from windows update then that's how it needs to work.

Many users don't even know what ver. of W10 they're on, and don't know that their update failed. MS needs to get it right, or on this they've flopped, just like they did on Win8.

CmmTch, Dec 12, 2015
  7. groze Win User
    I usually recommend a clean install as a last resort unless you just bought a new computer.

groze, Dec 12, 2015
  8. Microsoft sets stage for massive Windows 10 upgrade strategy

As to new computers that come with Windows 10 pre-installed:

(1) are these computers guaranteed to have no mishaps caused by future Windows Updates?

(2) if a future Windows Update does cause a mishap, will Microsoft provide the service free of charge?

(3) if a future Windows Update causes money for the user to fix, will Microsoft indemnify the user?

I believe that the above guarantees ought to apply to upgraded computers as well.

IMHO, the above guarantees are part-and-parcel of Windows-as-a-service with its continual Windows Updates for the life of the computer, be that computer new or upgraded. It is a bit like your annual medical checkup, if a mishap happens at the hospital, then the hospital will have to make it right.

FrozenCursor, Dec 13, 2015
  9. BunnyJ New Member
    Sorry but there is no way any OS maker can grantee that an their product will not have any issues. And there is no way MS can test every possible hardware combination to make sure that the upgrade process will be error free.

As for number 3.. that's never going to happen and why should MS be on the hook to fix your or anyone's PC??

Me thinks you're reading way too much into Windows a s a service.

BunnyJ, Dec 13, 2015
  10. Well, if Microsoft forces an update as it does in Windows 10, then Microsoft is liable for any mishap, it is as simple as that.

If Microsoft does not want to be liable, then Microsoft should not force any updates, but the way things are at the moment, users cannot refuse any updates.

11. BunnyJ New Member
    Not all of the users are encountering issues with updates and making them libel for things out of their control is not possible.

BunnyJ, Dec 13, 2015
  12. Ghost82 Win User
    Ah, LE irony, my friends. I was being ironic, Mark.

In other words: I'm just being critic with that. It's pretty frustrating that a very good amount of problems end up on "do a clean install" solution, when all the upgrade thing from other versions as 7, 8, 8.1 and first 10 is the way they are promoting the most. Of course, is the less user friendly option.

And moreover: is pretty frustrating... well, not, is not frustrating, is just a shame when you do a clean install and, just when you're done and fresh with it and try to do a sfc /scannow, you're just getting errors. Yeah, on a brand new clean install from the usb created with MCT. That happens too. So, Microsoft pushing to get a buggy OS, and a potential buggy upgrade is... well.

Ghost82, Dec 13, 2015
  13. Microsoft sets stage for massive Windows 10 upgrade strategy

Just look around you right here, there are many users having problems with Windows Updates.

And contrary to what you said, forcing or not forcing Windows Updates is very well under Microsoft's control. If Microsoft keeps forcing Windows Updates, then they are liable for problems incurred. Very simple.

It is IMHO quite likely going forward that Microsoft will have to provide some guarantees along the lines in my above post, or back off a little on the forced Windows Updates, or a combination of both.

14. BunnyJ New Member
    I would venture a guess but there are far more users who aren't having issues and they don't post here that everything is working. And again, MS can't test every situation to make sure that the updates work for everyone.

And they are not financially libel. Re-read the TOS.

Jeff

BunnyJ, Dec 13, 2015
  15. zooburner Win User
    Hi Bunny

What you say may be true if I had made a decision to download and install myself, but as Microsoft are so aggressively promoting and downloading these updates even when people have explicitly said they do not want them by toggling a group policy, Microsoft are toggling those changes back to 'allow' then the blame can firmly be laid at Microsoft's feet when things go wrong.

zooburner, Dec 13, 2015
Thema:

Microsoft sets stage for massive Windows 10 upgrade strategy

1. Microsoft sets stage for massive Windows 10 upgrade strategy - Similar Threads - Microsoft sets stage

2. Microsoft 10 running massively slow

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft 10 running massively slow: Cutting a long story short. I brought a new laptop, noticed windows was lagging and got online support for the laptop. They're fixing it as we speak. I'm trying to use my main computer gaming one and it's the same problem... .refuses to download anything..refuses updates....
  3. Microsoft 10 running massively slow

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microsoft 10 running massively slow: Cutting a long story short. I brought a new laptop, noticed windows was lagging and got online support for the laptop. They're fixing it as we speak. I'm trying to use my main computer gaming one and it's the same problem... .refuses to download anything..refuses updates....
  4. Microsoft Defender marketing strategy

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Microsoft Defender marketing strategy: Hi I'm new to this board, please forgive and support any errors of procedure. Switched on my computer for the first time today this morning. immediately frantic collection of panels came up all purportedly telling me my computer was possibly compromised and that it had...
  5. Windows 10 Updates Strategy

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Updates Strategy: Hello, I am fairly new to Windows 10 and its update nuances. I was unwillingly drug away from Win7 when support was dropped and am having to completely change my update strategy. I recently upgraded my Win10 Home to Win10 Pro to gain more control over forced updates. I have...
  6. MASSIVE Changes in Performance After Upgrading to Windows 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    MASSIVE Changes in Performance After Upgrading to Windows 10: I upgraded to Windows 10 Pro from Windows 7 Ultimate via the Installation Media. After the upgrade, it worked properly for about a month, but last few days... it's maybe a week, but now I see MASSIVE changes in performance. A game I play, League of Legends, is waaaay...
  7. Failed four different strategies to upgrade to Win10

Failed four different strategies to upgrade to Win10: Please bear with me in this long saga. I spent from 7:07am to 10:55pm, minus a two hour break, so over 15.5 hours of failed attempts to upgrade from Win8.1 Home to Win 10 Home. I was a participant in the Technical Preview program, and had (still have) the Windows icon in...
  8. win 10 massive upgrade

win 10 massive upgrade: is that posible to upgrade windows 7 into windows 10 in a massive way? example : i have 100 pc.. i want it to upgrade togethere one at a time. to avoid time consumming. 16420
  9. Microsoft's Windows 10 update strategy is showing strains?

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft's Windows 10 update strategy is showing strains?: Analysts argue that Microsoft should cut the number of Windows 10 upgrades in half and pledge to support each version for 24 months. Windows 10's rapid release machinery and short-lived support schemes showed some strain in 2017, as Microsoft reduced the number of annual...
  10. Inside Microsoft's build-a-bot strategy

in Windows 10 News
    Inside Microsoft's build-a-bot strategy: Microsoft Research, its Developer Experience team and its Applications and Services Group are all building out pieces of the company's evolving bot platform. Here's what's under the hood. Tomorrow, Facebook is expected to roll out new bot-related programming interfaces and...