Windows 10: Microsoft sets stage for massive Windows 10 upgrade strategy

Discus and support Microsoft sets stage for massive Windows 10 upgrade strategy in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; I have 2 computers running W10, 1 (2 if you want to count Win Phone) on W8.1 and I am happy with all of them, BUT, my Win 7 machine, I want to keep it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by davidhk, Dec 8, 2015.

1. meebers Win User

Microsoft sets stage for massive Windows 10 upgrade strategy

I have 2 computers running W10, 1 (2 if you want to count Win Phone) on W8.1 and I am happy with all of them, BUT, my Win 7 machine, I want to keep it as is, not because I don't like W10, I just want it left alone until such time as MS no longer supports it and then "I" will shut it down. I have 2 XP machines in "rest" mode*Smile

meebers, Dec 13, 2015

2. About a quarter of the users I know running Windows 10 are having issues with freezes and hangs, everyone else is doing fine. I am getting hints that it may be related to having older graphics/video display cards that they can't get updates to the drivers for. This makes sense, given the new code MS had to write into Win 10 in order to make it adaptive across all screen sizes. Video cards must support Active X 9 + in order to be compatible for the upgrade. I am strongly recommending that my clients do 4 things before the Windows 10 upgrade:

• Update all drivers - especially video card drivers - to the most recent version possible.
    • Make sure Windows Update has been run until it can't find anymore updates. (Except optional language packs)
    • Do a full system image backup and system repair/recovery disk or media so that an intact rollback to the current OS is possible in the event of trouble, and without file loss.
    • If using Quickbooks, back up your company file to a flash drive. Some users have had their company data blown out of Quickbooks after the upgrade. However, Quickbooks 2007 Pro and later were tested and ran fine under Win 10 by myself and my accountant.

Regards,

Dan

DanStafford62, Dec 13, 2015
  3. You might want to upgrade to SSD instead of HDD where possible. This greatly decreases boot time and everything in general runs and loads faster because the data transfer to & from an SSD is much faster than a mechanical hard drive. This is true regardless of operating system, and it will help when the machine fills up RAM and goes to the storage drive for VRAM as well.

DanStafford62, Dec 13, 2015
  4. azasadny Win User

I've upgraded 30 desktops and laptops to Windows 10 and there have been no ongoing issues at all. Everyone is happy with it...

azasadny, Dec 13, 2015
  5. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Microsoft sets stage for massive Windows 10 upgrade strategy [​IMG]
    Warning Let's keep this discussion friendly shall we.

Brink, Dec 13, 2015
  6. Ghost82 Win User
    This.

It has been pointed a few times now. This thread is about the fact that MS is going too far on its pushing to make everyone upgrade to 10. That's the debate: how MS is just taking away the user's decission to choose.

If 10 is ok or not, is another one (as I said, I switched to 10 in my both computers and now, after several troubles, everything is alright and flawless, but I had to do clean installas and what not).

Ghost82, Dec 13, 2015
  7. WHS
    whs Win User
    Hmm, I thought the discussion was very friendly. What did I miss.

8. Microsoft sets stage for massive Windows 10 upgrade strategy

W10 tried to download to my W7 due to some update (KB3102810?) luckily it failed (it made a $Windows.~BT folder).
    There was no prompt.

I do not have GWX Control Panel installed.

lehnerus2000, Dec 14, 2015
  9. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

I still have 2 machines running W7 -- I haven't been forced to upgrade to W10 on those -- all that happens is that Ms has sent a message saying that W10 IS available --you don't have to install it if you don't want to -- and remember for loads of people W10 is a FREE upgrade - W10 Pro retails at around 200 USD (with tax) give and take a few dollars depending on local taxes and pricing.

Nothing wrong with a company advertising its products -- I'll bet 99% of people on these forums get loads of JUNK / SPAM emapls in their inboxes every day from all sorts of people - and they just delete or ignore them.

As for updates -- in the settings you can set various options -- and as for adware from Ms -- I haven't seen any on my W10 machines.

In any case before updating to W10 (or any updating for that matter) it's simple and quick to TAKE BACKUPS so you can restore easily if you don't like W10 or the updates don't work.

Quote from Shakespeare could be apt on this thread : "Methinks the Lady doth protest too much ..." !!!

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Dec 14, 2015
  10. coit Win User
    I have one computer that's been on 10 insider since the beginning. I have three other computers running 10-no problems.
    I have a 7 Pro workstation that just received two IMPORTANT updates. One is the nag for 10. The other is to check the hardware and drivers for an upgrade to a modern OS. Microsoft has become the enemy. I'm disgusted.

11. LEE
    Lee Win User
    *Ditto

12. hannelius Win User

hannelius, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Microsoft sets stage for massive Windows 10 upgrade strategy - Similar Threads - Microsoft sets stage

2. Microsoft 10 running massively slow

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft 10 running massively slow: Cutting a long story short. I brought a new laptop, noticed windows was lagging and got online support for the laptop. They're fixing it as we speak. I'm trying to use my main computer gaming one and it's the same problem... .refuses to download anything..refuses updates....
  3. Microsoft 10 running massively slow

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microsoft 10 running massively slow: Cutting a long story short. I brought a new laptop, noticed windows was lagging and got online support for the laptop. They're fixing it as we speak. I'm trying to use my main computer gaming one and it's the same problem... .refuses to download anything..refuses updates....
  4. Microsoft Defender marketing strategy

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Microsoft Defender marketing strategy: Hi I'm new to this board, please forgive and support any errors of procedure. Switched on my computer for the first time today this morning. immediately frantic collection of panels came up all purportedly telling me my computer was possibly compromised and that it had...
  5. Windows 10 Updates Strategy

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Updates Strategy: Hello, I am fairly new to Windows 10 and its update nuances. I was unwillingly drug away from Win7 when support was dropped and am having to completely change my update strategy. I recently upgraded my Win10 Home to Win10 Pro to gain more control over forced updates. I have...
  6. MASSIVE Changes in Performance After Upgrading to Windows 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    MASSIVE Changes in Performance After Upgrading to Windows 10: I upgraded to Windows 10 Pro from Windows 7 Ultimate via the Installation Media. After the upgrade, it worked properly for about a month, but last few days... it's maybe a week, but now I see MASSIVE changes in performance. A game I play, League of Legends, is waaaay...
  7. Failed four different strategies to upgrade to Win10

Failed four different strategies to upgrade to Win10: Please bear with me in this long saga. I spent from 7:07am to 10:55pm, minus a two hour break, so over 15.5 hours of failed attempts to upgrade from Win8.1 Home to Win 10 Home. I was a participant in the Technical Preview program, and had (still have) the Windows icon in...
  8. win 10 massive upgrade

win 10 massive upgrade: is that posible to upgrade windows 7 into windows 10 in a massive way? example : i have 100 pc.. i want it to upgrade togethere one at a time. to avoid time consumming. 16420
  9. Microsoft's Windows 10 update strategy is showing strains?

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft's Windows 10 update strategy is showing strains?: Analysts argue that Microsoft should cut the number of Windows 10 upgrades in half and pledge to support each version for 24 months. Windows 10's rapid release machinery and short-lived support schemes showed some strain in 2017, as Microsoft reduced the number of annual...
  10. Inside Microsoft's build-a-bot strategy

in Windows 10 News
    Inside Microsoft's build-a-bot strategy: Microsoft Research, its Developer Experience team and its Applications and Services Group are all building out pieces of the company's evolving bot platform. Here's what's under the hood. Tomorrow, Facebook is expected to roll out new bot-related programming interfaces and...