Windows 10: Microsoft shows off just how much data it’s collecting from Windows 10

Discus and support Microsoft shows off just how much data it’s collecting from Windows 10 in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Microsoft shows off just how much data it’s collecting from Windows 10 users ...Microsoft felt the need to share some milestones: People have spent... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by PaulGo, Jan 5, 2016.

1. PaulGo Win User

Microsoft shows off just how much data it’s collecting from Windows 10

Microsoft spying: Windows 10 user data appears in new blog post | BGR

PaulGo, Jan 5, 2016
  2. gator2013 Win User
    gator2013, Jan 5, 2016
  3. Should Microsoft allow users to turn off telemetry totally (Windows 7/8.1/10)?

This has been something that I've been wanting to ask, after the whole fuss about Windows 10 and data collection. As you might know, Microsoft is collecting data from Windows 10 (incl. 7 and 8.1) users for feedback purposes. But, there are some skeptics
    who think that Microsoft is collecting more than just that.

While I understand that users can turn off some settings to "alleviate" some privacy concerns, but there are some users who would like it if Microsoft allowed them to turn off telemetry completely. To me, allowing users to turn off telemetry is a pretty
    good idea. While I can expect some to still be skeptical, I think that most who are concerned about privacy will probably enjoy the experience (this, of course, is arguable).

So, what do you think? Should Microsoft allow users to completely turn off telemetry?

Lumia 625 user, Jan 5, 2016
  4. Tindo01 Win User

Windows 10 Privacy Issues

I've turned off all of the data mining options that i could find in windows 10 that includes turning off cortana but i've got to wonder did i really turn off the data collection or was i just told it was turned off.. How can i be sure? Is there a third
    party program i can run to verify that the data collection has indeed been turned off? I value my privacy and as things stand now i'm kinda wondering if i should move to a different OS.

Tindo01, Jan 5, 2016
  5. Cliff S New Member
    Cliff S, Jan 5, 2016
  6. Spike999 Win User
    So, 11 billion hours on Win 10, and less than 3/4 of a billion hours spent on Edge. (44.5 billion / 60 = 741,666,666 )
    Seems edge might not be all that popular. Maybe that's why they posted its usage in minutes vs. hours!

Spike999, Jan 5, 2016
  7. Cliff S New Member
    One can crunch numbers to say what the want.
    But there are hundreds of Chromium based and Firefox based browsers out there, where the developers can only dream of so much use.*Smile

Cliff S, Jan 5, 2016
  8. stormy13 Win User

All this noise about what Microsoft is doing, yet no one seems to bat an eye about Google doing the exact same thing (and likely even worse).

stormy13, Jan 5, 2016
  9. Winuser Win User
    We're being watched in almost everything we do. Surfing the web, Using our phones, using our credit/debit cards, the store cards. We can even be spied on when we watching tv. I was having a problem with a new Comcast DVR box not being recognized as a DVR. I called them to see if they could reset it. The first thing the tech told me was he could see that I didn't have any programs scheduled to record. I don't like it but there's not much you can do.

Winuser, Jan 6, 2016
  10. Google isn't trying to force users to replace their W7 or W8 series OS with W10.
    People have been complaining about Google for years.
    Now MS is adopting all of the worst Google tactics, so people are howling about it.

I try to avoid using any Google products/services and have been since everyone started raving about them in the early '00s.
    Unfortunately (for me):
    • They have the best image search
    • I was forced to make a Google account to complete some of my Web Design subjects

lehnerus2000, Jan 6, 2016
  11. vfoster Win User
    Because I have the option to not use Google's services and still have full-functionality and control over my computer. I'm not Google's biggest fan and have always been reluctant to trust them, but at least I feel I have a choice over whether I use their services or not.

vfoster, Jan 6, 2016
  12. PaulGo Win User
    Microsoft says it's transparent, but I can see right through it- The Inquirer

PaulGo, Jan 8, 2016
  13. Cliff S New Member

Cliff S, Jan 8, 2016
  14. PaulGo Win User
    The Inquire usually has good articles, since I use Adblock Plus I don't see these "ads".

PaulGo, Jan 8, 2016
  15. I don't see those ads. *Confused

I generally ignore ads but two of them looked very interesting. *Biggrin

lehnerus2000, Jan 9, 2016
Thema:

1. Microsoft shows off just how much data it’s collecting from Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Microsoft shows off

2. Data related to Microsoft Solitaire Collection

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Data related to Microsoft Solitaire Collection: My laptop died. What should I get to play MSC? I was advised not to use my desktop computer if the data from MSC is stored on my computer. Anybody have an answer? I obviously am a novice....
  3. Syncing guest data to Microsoft account - Microsoft Solitaire Collection Data

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Syncing guest data to Microsoft account - Microsoft Solitaire Collection Data: I was unable to connect my system to the game services for a while so I played as a guest and advanced pretty far with coins\points\etc. Now that I am able to connect to the game services, my live account does not have my progress. However, if I login as a guest, I see all...
  4. How much data will it take to update Windows 10 from 1803 to 1909?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How much data will it take to update Windows 10 from 1803 to 1909?: Hi, I have a limited per day data plan and want to update Windows 10 from 1803 to 1909. What is the update size? Please let me know because I don't want the update to be hampered....
  5. Collections just showed up on Edge Dev

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Collections just showed up on Edge Dev: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/i_post_tech_articles [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/e7q4vi/collections_just_showed_up_on_edge_dev/
  6. Microsoft Solitaire Collection, Windows 10 desktop "data charged?"

Microsoft Solitaire Collection, Windows 10 desktop "data charged?": Microsoft Solitaire Collection, desktop with Windows 10, internet access through Comcast modem. My desktop is not using WiFi, it is cabled to the internet. QUESTION: Why is Data minutes is being charged on my smartphone's Verizon WiFi? They are not interconnected....
  7. My Microsoft solitaire collection opens then just goes off any ideas

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My Microsoft solitaire collection opens then just goes off any ideas: This also happens with my G5 Games https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/games_windows_10/my-microsoft-solitaire-collection-opens-then-just/11523d47-1267-49c7-ae1f-4d9ec86e722b
  8. Microsoft Solitaire Collection saved data not loading

Microsoft Solitaire Collection saved data not loading: I have two computers that I play on. Both computers load my profile, and show my statistics as being the same, same number of deals, scores, cumulative scores. However, on one computer, if I open Klondike, my cumulative score is much lower than the other computer. It won't...
  9. Microsofts Ever Increasing Data Collection

in Windows 10 Support
    Microsofts Ever Increasing Data Collection: Now I know I am probably fairly alone in this, but I truly hate data collection. Without going in to all the reasons why, which is slightly besides the point, I am perplexed by Microsoft's latest change in Windows10. Diagnostics and Feedack used to be configurable to off....
  10. How to disable Telemetry and Data Collection in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    How to disable Telemetry and Data Collection in Windows 10: How to disable Telemetry and Data Collection in Windows 10 Windows 10 now comes with the telemetry feature enabled by default which collects all sorts of user activity and sends it to Microsoft. Unfortunately, Microsoft has provided no way to disable it completely using...