Windows 10: Microsoft shows off just how much data it’s collecting from Windows 10

Discus and support Microsoft shows off just how much data it’s collecting from Windows 10 in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; The Inquire usually has good articles, since I use Adblock Plus I don't see these "ads". I don't see those ads. *Confused I generally ignore... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by PaulGo, Jan 5, 2016.

1. Cliff S New Member

Microsoft shows off just how much data it’s collecting from Windows 10

First of all I was using Edged, hence no add-ons*Smile
    Second it was the irritating type of adds: the grey-out-pop-over-are you sure you want to leave the page- type.
    But as for the site itself looked to be pretty outdated too, and full of click bait(not any different than most other sites though).
    But I did re-read the article, though(ah-hem! using another browser*Wink). Basically he's saying what I think, if you believe what Microsoft is saying, good for you and keep on using Win10, if you don't, do something about it, but stop mumbling & murmuring....

Cliff S, Jan 9, 2016

2. In Today's world nothing is free. If yes there may be some T&C along with it. Data collection is a part of analytics.

chunnuhardy, Jan 9, 2016
  3. Dave44 Win User
    exactly well said

Dave44, Jan 9, 2016
  4. Winuser Win User

How do you know people aren't making noise about Google? If I wanted to complain about Google I would see if they had a forum and complain there and not on a forum about Win 10.

Winuser, Jan 9, 2016
  5. groze Win User
    You can remain mostly anonymous using Google chrome or Chromium without using a Google account. You won't be able to use apps though. You can install Chromium on windows using the chocolatey package manager. Chromium doesn't sandbox flash to my knowledge.

groze, Jan 9, 2016
  6. exactly well said Perhaps you should start a thread titled, "Are Google a bunch of jerks?" and see how many comments get posted (Pro & Con).

Worse than that, this thread is specifically about MS data collection (not Apple, Google, etc.).

lehnerus2000, Jan 10, 2016
  7. Edwin New Member
    Remember:
    There is 'One' far greater than MS, Google and others combined reading your emails and tracking your sordid surfing habits! *Wink

Edwin, Jan 10, 2016
  8. Atomic77 Win User

I personally think a lot more companies are watching what we do online and off then what we are talking about here. I think its just a normal part of what they do.

Atomic77, Jan 10, 2016
  9. Wynona Win User
    Yup. I hadn't really heard much about Cyberlink and its PowerDirector until I got version 12 free from SharewareOnSale. Now, everywhere I go online, I'm fed Cyberlink ads. If I look at a hard drive at Office Depot, I'm inundated with ads for hard drive.

Yep, a normal part of what they do . . . try to sell us stuff.

Wynona, Jan 10, 2016
  10. I removed Cyberlink and all it's goodies. It was quite challenging to find and remove everything.
    It gets into everything.

Layback Bear, Jan 10, 2016
  11. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

people are getting too paranoid about this stuff.

Just do the Logistical exercise -- it would be a NIGHTMARE, and HIDEOUSLY expensive to collect even a small fraction of the data people seem to think companies are already collecting. I couldn't be bothered if Ms (or anybody else) wants to find out whether I like Pink underwear or shop at particular supermarkets (or not) as the case may be.

If you've enough time to worry about this - then LOG OFF for a few hours, go down to a good pub WITHOUT wifi and chat with some real people or play Golf, ride a horse, sail a boat, fly a plane etc etc.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jan 10, 2016
  12. They wouldn't be collecting, storing and analysing user data, if the cost of doing so, exceeded the money they make by doing it. *Confused

lehnerus2000, Jan 11, 2016
  13. waltc Win User

People still don't get it: these statistics don't identify a single person by name. Not one...Oh, yea, that's "spying" all right...Lol...*Wink

waltc, Jan 11, 2016
  14. Even if MS had the names of users, do you seriously think they'd publish that info? *Confused

Such an admission would constitute proof that users had been lied to.
    If you think the "W10 Privacy" issue is out-of-control now, how much worse would it be after a revelation like that?

lehnerus2000, Jan 11, 2016
  15. LEE
    Lee Win User
    hell I have more to worry about (is my blood sugar too high or too low, sure hope my blood pressure is below 150 psi, try to make sure I do not get a wound of any kind (take the blood thinner Warfarin), oh darn I think I just said to much already. . .*Huh

Thema:

1. Microsoft shows off just how much data it’s collecting from Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Microsoft shows off

2. Data related to Microsoft Solitaire Collection

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Data related to Microsoft Solitaire Collection: My laptop died. What should I get to play MSC? I was advised not to use my desktop computer if the data from MSC is stored on my computer. Anybody have an answer? I obviously am a novice....
  3. Syncing guest data to Microsoft account - Microsoft Solitaire Collection Data

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Syncing guest data to Microsoft account - Microsoft Solitaire Collection Data: I was unable to connect my system to the game services for a while so I played as a guest and advanced pretty far with coins\points\etc. Now that I am able to connect to the game services, my live account does not have my progress. However, if I login as a guest, I see all...
  4. How much data will it take to update Windows 10 from 1803 to 1909?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How much data will it take to update Windows 10 from 1803 to 1909?: Hi, I have a limited per day data plan and want to update Windows 10 from 1803 to 1909. What is the update size? Please let me know because I don't want the update to be hampered....
  5. Collections just showed up on Edge Dev

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Collections just showed up on Edge Dev: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/i_post_tech_articles [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/e7q4vi/collections_just_showed_up_on_edge_dev/
  6. Microsoft Solitaire Collection, Windows 10 desktop "data charged?"

Microsoft Solitaire Collection, Windows 10 desktop "data charged?": Microsoft Solitaire Collection, desktop with Windows 10, internet access through Comcast modem. My desktop is not using WiFi, it is cabled to the internet. QUESTION: Why is Data minutes is being charged on my smartphone's Verizon WiFi? They are not interconnected....
  7. My Microsoft solitaire collection opens then just goes off any ideas

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My Microsoft solitaire collection opens then just goes off any ideas: This also happens with my G5 Games https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/games_windows_10/my-microsoft-solitaire-collection-opens-then-just/11523d47-1267-49c7-ae1f-4d9ec86e722b
  8. Microsoft Solitaire Collection saved data not loading

Microsoft Solitaire Collection saved data not loading: I have two computers that I play on. Both computers load my profile, and show my statistics as being the same, same number of deals, scores, cumulative scores. However, on one computer, if I open Klondike, my cumulative score is much lower than the other computer. It won't...
  9. Microsofts Ever Increasing Data Collection

in Windows 10 Support
    Microsofts Ever Increasing Data Collection: Now I know I am probably fairly alone in this, but I truly hate data collection. Without going in to all the reasons why, which is slightly besides the point, I am perplexed by Microsoft's latest change in Windows10. Diagnostics and Feedack used to be configurable to off....
  10. How to disable Telemetry and Data Collection in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    How to disable Telemetry and Data Collection in Windows 10: How to disable Telemetry and Data Collection in Windows 10 Windows 10 now comes with the telemetry feature enabled by default which collects all sorts of user activity and sends it to Microsoft. Unfortunately, Microsoft has provided no way to disable it completely using...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. storing ox80240fff