Windows 10: Microsoft shows off just how much data it’s collecting from Windows 10

Discus and support Microsoft shows off just how much data it’s collecting from Windows 10 in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; I would hope that no-one has blood pressure anywhere near 150 psi - remember the sad fate of Mr Creosote - lets hope the figures remain in the order of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by PaulGo, Jan 5, 2016.

1. Fafhrd Win User

Microsoft shows off just how much data it’s collecting from Windows 10

I would hope that no-one has blood pressure anywhere near 150 psi - remember the sad fate of Mr Creosote - lets hope the figures remain in the order of 120/80 mmHg instead

Fafhrd, Jan 11, 2016

2. they wont find anything interesting on my pc, so I don't care

shakennstirred, Jan 11, 2016
  3. BunnyJ New Member
    It's unlikely that every bit of data that they would collect would generate any revenue. And to store all the possible data would be a huge expense.

And what would/could the really benefit from doing this in the first place?

BunnyJ, Jan 11, 2016
  4. gator2013 Win User

Don't get the wrong idea here because I am totally against all the data MS collects and I believe MS collects and stores much more than the skeptics believe and I believe MS can track whatever they save back to an individual machine ID. I am also realistic in that there is not much that can be done about it until legislation is enacted to regulate such data mining and I doubt that will happen in my lifetime if ever. But back to the quote.

And to store all the possible data would be a huge expense.

I totally disagree here: With todays storage technology coupled with compression I don't believe cost of storage is an issue whatsoever,

It's unlikely that every bit of data that they would collect would generate any revenue.

I totally agree with this.

I think a lot of the data MS collects is in fact related to performance and reliability but much of what they collect is related to the pursuit of Artificial Intelligence (AI). Just Google Artificial Intelligence and check out some of the MS info on this topic. It is all really fascinating and MS is putting a lot of resources in this area and it requires tons of data that may be considered personal in nature. Apparently MS is playing catch-up to Google and Apple is a big player in this R&D as well. So I don't believe MS is all bad but I still don't like the expansion of data collection with W-10 and more importantly, the loss of control over updates so I will stay with 8.1 for a long time to come and my system is rock solid and does everything I will ever need it to do and more.

gator2013, Jan 12, 2016
  5. Winuser Win User
    What I don't like about it is that we don't have enough control of what info is being sent and only MS's word of what is being collected. Am I going to stop using Win 10? No! Do I think MS is going to misuse this info? No! With only MS's word of what's being collected how do we know for certain that if they got hacked there wouldn't be any personal data about us that the hackers could use to their advantage?

Winuser, Jan 12, 2016
  6. Good luck with that. *Sad

Agreed.

Without legislation and enforcement, abuses can't be deterred.
    Even this can't totally prevent abuses, but there may be a chance of receiving some compensation.

I totally disagree here: With todays storage technology coupled with compression I don't believe cost of storage is an issue whatsoever, Agreed.
    Caveat:
    What is meant by the term "store all the possible data"?

Here in Australia, I can buy a 1TB HDD for ~$60 (I guess they're probably ~$30 in the US).
    A 1TB HDD could hold 1 million individual (1MB) records.
    MS would only need ~2000 1TB HDDs to hold the info of 2 billion users (initial snapshot).
    Since MS could probably get a better HDD deal than the average consumer, it could cost them less than $60K in the US.

Data that doesn't require unpredictable fast access can even be stored on tape.
    http://www.techrepublic.com/article/...r-and-smarter/

To get an idea of the amount of info, lets assume that the data package's initial snapshot (telemetry and all other data, if any) totals up to 1MB (for example in docx file format).

I'll use a docx file that I have on my PC as an example ("Rulebook.docx", 51 pages, ~30,000 words, ~100KB size).
    Those numbers would suggest that a 1MB docx file could contain ~500 pages and ~300,000 words.
    Note:
    A custom data structure could also significantly increase the mount of useful info in a 1MB file.
    Compressing the "Rulebook.docx" file using 7-Zip (i.e. "Rulebook.7z") only reduced the size a few percent.

As gator2013 suggests, subsequent snapshots could be significantly smaller if some form of differential compression is used.

I suspect that the other data centre overheads (e.g. consumables, plant, network capacity, taxes, wages, etc.) are much larger.

Obviously other factors can affect the storage requirements:

• Data sampling frequency
    • Data lifespan
    • Data compression/de-duplication (at the data centre)

I totally agree with this. Agreed.

In the short term:
    • Maintenance, repair and supervision cost money, but they don't generate extra income and therefore profits.
    • They can save you money and the savings are added to the profit (e.g. defusing potential issues before they cause trouble "in the wild").
    In the long term:
    • They can increase your income and therefore profits, if they increase the reputation of the company.
    • Many people prefer to buy from companies that sell good products and provide good customer service, therefore advertising and especially "word of mouth" can lead to increased income.

lehnerus2000, Jan 14, 2016
  7. I look at things a little simpler.

If Microsoft want to gather data, for what ever their stated reason is; just ask the user/operator/owner of the computer system.
    Then the user can choose yes or no.
    I told you it was simple.

Some say that companies like Google have been doing data gathering for years. I believe that to be true.
    Just because I have a neighbor that is a drug dealer and another neighbor that is a child molester doesn't mean I should become either.

Layback Bear, Jan 14, 2016
  8. machare Win User

I wanted to add a free Wifi analyser from the Apps Store. I logged in but then to get the app they wanted to know by date of birth. Clearly I could provide false info, but I decided that the Store was best avoided,

machare, Jan 16, 2016
  9. unifex Win User
    Honestly, why would anyone provide truthful information to some website/company that requires it in order to sell you something for a few (or even zero) bucks?

Sometimes I need to purchase a train ticket in a foreign country. Sometimes they require me to give my name for authentication on the train, fine. But why do they need anything else from me? I think they don't and I just feed them nonsense. I still get my ticket all right. What else do I care about? Why do they need to know my real address or date of birth or my mothers name?

There are plenty of such situations. Apple requires me to keep a credit card number on file in order to download free apps. So, I give them a virtual number. In fact, I don't see why someone would give a real, non virtual credit card number over the internet. Actually in this respect Google is better - they do not require payment info unless you actually need to buy something. So, I don't keep any payment info with Google Play.

See, the problem is not that you get advertising. You get it anyway, you see it everywhere, it's not a big deal. The flashy annoying ads on the computer screen are easily eradicated (I hope I am not stepping over the forum rules here). But the targeted advertising they are collecting all that data for is very often totally stupid.

I bought a vacuum cleaner last year on Amazon. Since then I am getting numerous emails from them suggesting I buy more vacuum cleaners. But this is stupid - how many vacuum cleaners does one buy? If they would think about it, they would send me ads for other household appliances, the ones that I did not buy from them, thinking that perhaps I need a new fridge as well. But having just bought a vacuum cleaner, I am quite certain I won't buy another for years.

Similarly, I signed a contract with a telecom company a couple of years ago. Very often I get calls from the same company advertising the same service but for more money. How smart is that?

Finally, there is a very simple way to make sure Microsoft does not collect your personal information - you don't give it your personal information. Are they capable of reading all the pdf files on your computers and figuring out your actual name out of numerous names that can be found in those files? I think not. Then they have no way of getting your name unless you give it to them yourself.

unifex, Jan 18, 2016
  10. groze Win User
    No, they don't.

3 Ways to Create an iTunes Account Without a Credit Card

Not all financial institutions provide virtual credit card numbers.

groze, Jan 18, 2016
  11. John035 Win User
    Interesting but it is all demographics and analytic.

John035, Jan 19, 2016
  12. unifex Win User
    I just gave an example that popped into my head. Perhaps they changed something since I last looked into it few years ago. The point remains - most if not all websites and internet companies prefer to ask you for all kind of information that is largely irrelevant to their declared business purposes. I don't believe that I should participate in that information gathering and very often give clearly ridiculous information in such cases. In particular, I never enter my name when prompted by a newly installed program on my PC: they work equally well for any combination of keys pressed at that point. Moreover, I keep several email addresses (they are free and not hard to create) specifically for registering with all kinds of websites. Hotels and travel companies go to one email address, ebay to another, forums to yet another. None of them have my real name in the associated Google accounts. I have a Microsoft account since it was required to sign up for the Insider program, but I'm no longer active in it - I got rather disappointed with Win10 and the way it's developing. I saw no reason to give my real name there as well. After all, they claim to aggregate and anonymize all information they are collecting. So why would they need my name?

unifex, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Microsoft shows off just how much data it’s collecting from Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Microsoft shows off

2. Data related to Microsoft Solitaire Collection

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Data related to Microsoft Solitaire Collection: My laptop died. What should I get to play MSC? I was advised not to use my desktop computer if the data from MSC is stored on my computer. Anybody have an answer? I obviously am a novice....
  3. Syncing guest data to Microsoft account - Microsoft Solitaire Collection Data

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Syncing guest data to Microsoft account - Microsoft Solitaire Collection Data: I was unable to connect my system to the game services for a while so I played as a guest and advanced pretty far with coins\points\etc. Now that I am able to connect to the game services, my live account does not have my progress. However, if I login as a guest, I see all...
  4. How much data will it take to update Windows 10 from 1803 to 1909?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How much data will it take to update Windows 10 from 1803 to 1909?: Hi, I have a limited per day data plan and want to update Windows 10 from 1803 to 1909. What is the update size? Please let me know because I don't want the update to be hampered....
  5. Collections just showed up on Edge Dev

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Collections just showed up on Edge Dev: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/i_post_tech_articles [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/e7q4vi/collections_just_showed_up_on_edge_dev/
  6. Microsoft Solitaire Collection, Windows 10 desktop "data charged?"

Microsoft Solitaire Collection, Windows 10 desktop "data charged?": Microsoft Solitaire Collection, desktop with Windows 10, internet access through Comcast modem. My desktop is not using WiFi, it is cabled to the internet. QUESTION: Why is Data minutes is being charged on my smartphone's Verizon WiFi? They are not interconnected....
  7. My Microsoft solitaire collection opens then just goes off any ideas

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My Microsoft solitaire collection opens then just goes off any ideas: This also happens with my G5 Games https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/games_windows_10/my-microsoft-solitaire-collection-opens-then-just/11523d47-1267-49c7-ae1f-4d9ec86e722b
  8. Microsoft Solitaire Collection saved data not loading

Microsoft Solitaire Collection saved data not loading: I have two computers that I play on. Both computers load my profile, and show my statistics as being the same, same number of deals, scores, cumulative scores. However, on one computer, if I open Klondike, my cumulative score is much lower than the other computer. It won't...
  9. Microsofts Ever Increasing Data Collection

in Windows 10 Support
    Microsofts Ever Increasing Data Collection: Now I know I am probably fairly alone in this, but I truly hate data collection. Without going in to all the reasons why, which is slightly besides the point, I am perplexed by Microsoft's latest change in Windows10. Diagnostics and Feedack used to be configurable to off....
  10. How to disable Telemetry and Data Collection in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    How to disable Telemetry and Data Collection in Windows 10: How to disable Telemetry and Data Collection in Windows 10 Windows 10 now comes with the telemetry feature enabled by default which collects all sorts of user activity and sends it to Microsoft. Unfortunately, Microsoft has provided no way to disable it completely using...