Windows 10: Microsoft Shows Off Start Menu Changes Being Considered

Discus and support Microsoft Shows Off Start Menu Changes Being Considered in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Microsoft is looking to refine the Start menu for the next major update to Windows 10 called the Anniversary update. While the company is not... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Sumit Dhiman, Mar 31, 2016.

1. Microsoft Shows Off Start Menu Changes Being Considered

More here:

https://www.thurrott.com/windows/win...versary-update

Sumit Dhiman, Mar 31, 2016
  2. Winuser Win User

Even though I'm happy with the Start menu the way it is I think this is going to be a nice improvement. *Smile

:)

Winuser, Mar 31, 2016
  3. johnptd Win User
    What is wrong with you, Microsoft (nagware apps silently reinstalled)

I have the apps installed but I receive no nag messages from them. The first change I mentioned (Settings > Personalization > Start: turn off "Occasionally show suggestions in Start") is important. The "Occasionally show suggestions..." is Microsoft-speak
    for show ads.

Realize that Microsoft is giving you Windows 10 for free so they are recouping the cost in other ways (such as ads). At least they are giving you ways of disabling some of this junk. Hopefully they will not renege on that.

It is not wise to shutoff updates considering some of the serious issues (such as the Start Menu being disabled) that still exist with Windows 10 and that may be fixed in the future (I hope).

JohnD

johnptd, Mar 31, 2016
  4. surfer10k Win User

Microsoft Shows Off Start Menu Changes Being Considered

New W10 install not showing "Newly added apps".

Just installed fresh W10 home.

Just after install ne applications were being shown in the Start menu, recently added apps section. Then it stopped and that area is now blank.

It does show "most used apps" and I can switch that on and off using "personalization" menu.

I switched all options off in Personalization menu/Start but that did not help.

Now "Occasional show suggestions in start", "show most used apps", "show recently added apps" and show recenty opened items in jump list.." are all on.

thx for any help

surfer10k, Mar 31, 2016
  5. Microsoft Shows Off Start Menu Changes Being Considered [​IMG]

The free space looks ridiculous here on the right side

Sumit Dhiman, Mar 31, 2016
  6. slyphnier Win User
    while i am not complaining anything with current startmenu
    but in my pc, current start menu live tiles seems causing some issue, its flickering sometimes... not sure if graphic driver or windows dwm related stuff
    also if explorer crash/hang/freeze... start menu also crash

slyphnier, Mar 31, 2016
  7. BunnyJ New Member
    Interesting.. I hope we see that in an upcoming insider build, assuming that MS is really going to do this in the first place.

BunnyJ, Mar 31, 2016
  8. Microsoft Shows Off Start Menu Changes Being Considered

hTconeM9user, Mar 31, 2016
  9. davidhk Win User
    I totally dislike the one on the right side.

davidhk, Mar 31, 2016
  10. BunnyJ New Member
    The more I look at it the more I don't like it either.
    It's too much like the Win8 start screen.

BunnyJ, Mar 31, 2016
  11. I like it even with the free space. It looks like they just centered it on the screen. I never did like the switch to the Start Screen/ All Apps Start Menu. I much prefer the Start Screen/All Apps Screen like in Windows 8.

alphanumeric, Mar 31, 2016
  12. 8.1 was good also
    At least with the one on the right you wont have to click All Apps then scroll down
    But no matter what one they decide on hopefully it will look ok

hTconeM9user, Mar 31, 2016
  13. doorules Win User

As long as I can delete all those tiles I don't care what they do.

doorules, Mar 31, 2016
  14. That's easy, its called Windows 7, *Tongue Kidding aside, good luck with that. Some are easy to uninstall, some not so much. Un installing some, through other means, will likely break or cripple your system. I'd be happy if Microsoft would just let me hide the ones I never use, but the system needs.

alphanumeric, Mar 31, 2016
  15. doorules Win User
    Delete or disable so not seen will equate to the same thing for me. Never been a fan of those tiles and have zero use for them.

doorules, Mar 31, 2016
Thema:

1. Microsoft Shows Off Start Menu Changes Being Considered - Similar Threads - Microsoft Shows Off

2. Start Menu being too large

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start Menu being too large: I too could not resize smaller my task bar.If it is wider than your tiles, try Settings > Personalization> Taskbar>, & untick Show More Tiles https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/start-menu-being-too-large/62384a16-9e56-4686-8bd6-cb1319150103
  3. Start Menu being too large

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Start Menu being too large: I too could not resize smaller my task bar.If it is wider than your tiles, try Settings > Personalization> Taskbar>, & untick Show More Tiles https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/start-menu-being-too-large/62384a16-9e56-4686-8bd6-cb1319150103
  4. Start Menu being too large

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Start Menu tile background color changes are being ignored

Start Menu tile background color changes are being ignored: BACKGROUND: Several weeks ago my START MENU tile background color went to a very light gray on a darker gray start menu background. PROBLEM: Ever since that time, we have been unable to change the background color of the START MENU tiles. When we go to PERSONALIZATION >...
  6. Start Menu Changed

Start Menu Changed: How do I get out of this windows 10 start menu? It's on the left of the screen and the desktop image is muted. I have the windows 7 classic shell but it doesn't work like before I updated windows. [ATTACH]...
  7. Microsoft shows off its concept for Windows 10’s new Start Menu

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft shows off its concept for Windows 10’s new Start Menu: Windows 10 appears to be in the process of design overhaul with modern icons, improved Start Menu, and more Fluent Design goodness. Windows 10 has officially received the new modern icons and the company has released a video in celebration of this milestone. In the same...
  8. PROGRAMS NOT SHOWING IN START MENU

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    PROGRAMS NOT SHOWING IN START MENU: Hey there! I have a problem, few days ago I noticed that I dont have all my programs in start menu, they are all gone and when I search for them in search box I cant find them there....
  9. Toggle start menu on and off?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Toggle start menu on and off?: I have a habit of opening like 5-6 apps when I log in. Is it possible to have my start menu NOT go down when I click on a pinned program? I hit start > discord > start > battle.net > start > folder location > start > Minecraft > steam Is there a way I can hit all those apps...
  10. Start Menu only showing Microsoft Apps

Start Menu only showing Microsoft Apps: PC was running slow so I rebooted. Running Windows 10 Home version 1803 although it said it has installed updates in the past few days. When it restarted, none of my non-Microsoft applications are listed on the start menu. Does not list MS Office 16 although I own a licensed...