Windows 10: Microsoft Shows Off Start Menu Changes Being Considered

Discus and support Microsoft Shows Off Start Menu Changes Being Considered in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Delete or disable so not seen will equate to the same thing for me. Never been a fan of those tiles and have zero use for them. I do use some Apps,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Sumit Dhiman, Mar 31, 2016.

1. Microsoft Shows Off Start Menu Changes Being Considered

I do use some Apps, and the tiles for programs I install like Office. There are some bundled Apps, with no uninstall option, that I never ever use, I'd like to see an option to remove them from the Start Menu or Screen. It's just clutter for me. I boot to desktop and have my use everyday stuff pinned to my taskbar. Other stuff I use occasionally is pinned to my Start Screen. I don't have to use the All Apps very often these days.

alphanumeric, Mar 31, 2016
  2. AcuraTML Win User

Microsoft can adapt and have the classic windows 7 start menu with a toggle off or on option if they really want to nip this start menu project off their must do list before Windows 10 2016 gets dropped at the end of July 2016.

So users will have a choice of both worlds or a 3rd choice without going down the path of second party apps to get back what most are used too.

It only takes a minute or two to add these feature while they have their working version on open source or unlocked.

AcuraTML, Mar 31, 2016
  3. While I have no interest in a Windows 7 like Start menu in Windows 10, I'm not against it being an option if you want it. I'd like to have a more Windows 8.1 type of deal than the current Windows 10 start Screen/Start Menu. It will be interesting to see what comes down the pipe in the end.

4. AcuraTML Win User

Microsoft Shows Off Start Menu Changes Being Considered

@alphanumeric

It would make sense in general as a marketing tool, and don't forget their are folks up in the years who still haven't got around with the new UI menu and perhaps never will, I just want everyone pleased across the board old folks and new comers, like a said it only takes a min to write and tie in, and compile that windows 7 menu part over while the code is open

I agree lets wait and see in July how Window 2016 looks like.

Thanks. Alphanumeric

AcuraTML, Mar 31, 2016
  5. The problem, as I see it, with a Windows 7 style Start Menu, is there would be no live tiles. I'm not sure Microsoft wants that as an option. I'm assuming if you tick that option you wouldn't have any Start Screen. To be honest, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a Windows 7 type Start Menu to show up in Windows 10. Just my opinion, I don't know any more about what they have planed than the next guy.

6. kipper Win User
    Guess I am just old fashioned and stuck in my ways........I will continue to use Stardock's Start 10 so I can stick with the old windows 7 start menu........

I will at least go back and give the 10 menu another try whenever it is updated.........but I am not sure I see anything that interesting here, but that is just this old man's opinion....

kipper, Mar 31, 2016
  7. LEE
    Lee Win User
    For those who fine uninstalling apps icons from the menu/start menu simply unpin them. . .as to the new menu no big deal will just stay with the Start screen. . ."Don't need no Silly Menu. . .*Wink

8. Microsoft Shows Off Start Menu Changes Being Considered

Rarely use the All Apps section, so not too bothered about it

But the second image would work nicely with a full screen horizontal start page and a swipe upwards to access this All Apps section *Smile

paulsalter, Mar 31, 2016
  9. You can unpin from the Start Screen, but not from the Start Menu or All Apps menu. As far as I know anyway.

10. meebers Win User
    I never liked the present method Start/All Apps/scrolling and select or having them pinned all over your desktop. The "proposed" method of a full screen of Apps Ugh!. I would like an App selection area (your choice, mine would be task bar), hover over it and a simple list of apps appear in text form for selection. No stinkin blinking tiles on app selection, just easy/fast to get on with it. Still don't know why MS app selection presents you with a solid color screen with a "gadget" centered before the app runs. Just get on with it without all the unnecessary "pretty" stuff. JMO *Tongue

meebers, Mar 31, 2016
  11. strollin Win User
    I haven't needed the Start menu since Win 2000, however, I prefer the compactness of the current Start menu over the proposed "new" Start menu where everything is spread out with a bunch of blank space.

strollin, Mar 31, 2016
  12. Winuser Win User
    We'll have to wait and see what it looks like when they make the change.

Winuser, Mar 31, 2016
  13. Microsoft Shows Off Start Menu Changes Being Considered

+1 and too busy as like in WIN 8 was. I deleted most of what they had in apps, when I bought my DELL in Dec. 14. I hope MS stops playing around with something to do. I never saw an OS with so much updating. I still prefer Windows.

I do keep my 5 year old 15" Mac Book Pro OS updated with Safari and on standby.

Teetertotter, Mar 31, 2016
  14. There won't be a new Windows OS release after Windows 10 like in the past. My guess is the 10 will be dropped and it will be just referred to as Windows. It will just continually evolve with new features etc added as time goes on. That's what Microsoft is saying anyway. IMHO, it was released unfinished, and now they are playing catch up. I still like it Requardless.

15. So they are going to reintroduce the W8 Start Screen?
    I guess MS didn't learn anything from the W8 series Start Screen fiasco.
    *Doh
    MS must be hoping that people have forgotten the reason(s) that they hated the W8 series Start Screen.

lehnerus2000, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Microsoft Shows Off Start Menu Changes Being Considered

1. Microsoft Shows Off Start Menu Changes Being Considered - Similar Threads - Microsoft Shows Off

2. Start Menu being too large

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start Menu being too large: I too could not resize smaller my task bar.If it is wider than your tiles, try Settings > Personalization> Taskbar>, & untick Show More Tiles https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/start-menu-being-too-large/62384a16-9e56-4686-8bd6-cb1319150103
  3. Start Menu being too large

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Start Menu being too large: I too could not resize smaller my task bar.If it is wider than your tiles, try Settings > Personalization> Taskbar>, & untick Show More Tiles https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/start-menu-being-too-large/62384a16-9e56-4686-8bd6-cb1319150103
  4. Start Menu being too large

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Start Menu tile background color changes are being ignored

Start Menu tile background color changes are being ignored: BACKGROUND: Several weeks ago my START MENU tile background color went to a very light gray on a darker gray start menu background. PROBLEM: Ever since that time, we have been unable to change the background color of the START MENU tiles. When we go to PERSONALIZATION >...
  6. Start Menu Changed

Start Menu Changed: How do I get out of this windows 10 start menu? It's on the left of the screen and the desktop image is muted. I have the windows 7 classic shell but it doesn't work like before I updated windows. [ATTACH]...
  7. Microsoft shows off its concept for Windows 10’s new Start Menu

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft shows off its concept for Windows 10’s new Start Menu: Windows 10 appears to be in the process of design overhaul with modern icons, improved Start Menu, and more Fluent Design goodness. Windows 10 has officially received the new modern icons and the company has released a video in celebration of this milestone. In the same...
  8. PROGRAMS NOT SHOWING IN START MENU

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    PROGRAMS NOT SHOWING IN START MENU: Hey there! I have a problem, few days ago I noticed that I dont have all my programs in start menu, they are all gone and when I search for them in search box I cant find them there....
  9. Toggle start menu on and off?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Toggle start menu on and off?: I have a habit of opening like 5-6 apps when I log in. Is it possible to have my start menu NOT go down when I click on a pinned program? I hit start > discord > start > battle.net > start > folder location > start > Minecraft > steam Is there a way I can hit all those apps...
  10. Start Menu only showing Microsoft Apps

Start Menu only showing Microsoft Apps: PC was running slow so I rebooted. Running Windows 10 Home version 1803 although it said it has installed updates in the past few days. When it restarted, none of my non-Microsoft applications are listed on the start menu. Does not list MS Office 16 although I own a licensed...