Windows 10: Microsoft sort of explains what happened to Windows 9

Discus and support Microsoft sort of explains what happened to Windows 9 in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; When Microsoft announced Windows 10, the first question many people asked was what happened to Windows 9? While we have heard the reasoning about the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Brink, Oct 13, 2014.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Microsoft sort of explains what happened to Windows 9

Read more...

:)

Brink, Oct 13, 2014
  2. kevNJ Win User

What happened to the Apps Store this morning 9-20

What happened to the apps store? No display of apps when clicking on any of the app categories. Gees!

kevNJ, Oct 13, 2014
  3. kevNJ Win User
    What happened to the Apps Store this morning 9-20

The app store appears to be healthy again.

kevNJ, Oct 13, 2014
  4. CountMike New Member

In other words, stillborn !!!

CountMike, Oct 13, 2014
  5. Hi

The funny thing is that the massive upgrade from 8, so large that it had to skip 9 and go to 10 looks just like Windows 7. LOL

But that's why I like it, I always said that what they needed was to improve 7, not change to something completely different and I think they finally figured that out.

Mike

MikeHawthorne, Oct 13, 2014
  6. azasadny Win User
    Mike, I agree with you!

azasadny, Oct 13, 2014
  7. Winuser Win User
    The way I see it Windows 8.1 Update should have been named Windows 9.

Winuser, Oct 14, 2014
  8. Microsoft sort of explains what happened to Windows 9

In my opinion their was some things Microsoft wanted to do.
    1. Try very hard to improve on W-7.
    2. To get as far away from W-8 as they could.
    3. Make improvements to do both.
    4. Nine doesn't go over well in Germanic languages. (Nine = No)
    5. Show to the public that Microsoft has started listing to the public and will try to make W-10 suite the needs and desires of the masses on several different hardwares. Portable and non-protable. Touch screen and non-touch screen. Users choice.
    6. W-10 name is use to guide our thinking to not just another operating system but a whole new design that will be adjustable to suite the needs of the owner and hardware not just the SOS with a different number.

To me this new attitude Microsoft has came from new management.
    Listing to their customers will serve them well.

Layback Bear, Oct 14, 2014
  9. pbcopter Win User
    9 = no???
    neun = no??? *Biggrin

I guess it's all in what you hear.*Smile

pbcopter, Oct 14, 2014
  10. Tony K Win User
    I guess some haven't figured out that 10 is basically 8.1 with a new screen door on the front.

Tony K, Oct 14, 2014
  11. MS still has over a year to make changes. I was a Win8 preview user from day one. What I started with and what ended up being the retail project had some substantial changes. No way MS is done with WinX yet.

John Pombrio, Oct 15, 2014
  12. Tony K Win User
    So was I. What major changes in 8? The basic template layout was made. Boot to the new Start Screen instead of the desktop without the Start Menu, the Modern UI with Charms, Store, and apps. They may have added or changed little features here and there, but the basic layout was the same. If you are speaking of the major changes that 8.1 brought then that's a different thing. Still didn't bring back the Start Menu, though.

Bottom line is that MS released the 10 Preview "template" out there and it contains Modern. I'm pretty sure they won't and can't afford to give it up due to there attempt to infiltrate the mobile market. They compromised by bringing the Start Menu back which is what I meant about the new screen door. The ability to boot to desktop remains, but also the option to boot to Start Screen remains, although greyed out for now.

So far looking at the top ten wishes of the feedback app there are really not any requests for a major change. But, yes, we have a while to go yet.

Paul Thurrott: Here are the Top User Requests for Windows

Tony K, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Microsoft sort of explains what happened to Windows 9 - Similar Threads - Microsoft sort explains

2. Can someone explain this sorting?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can someone explain this sorting?: Can someone explain this sorting? I have it sorted by name ascending https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-someone-explain-this-sorting/8dfd3e0c-6389-4942-8939-753f3c0d8587
  3. Can someone explain this sorting?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can someone explain this sorting?: Can someone explain this sorting? I have it sorted by name ascending https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-someone-explain-this-sorting/8dfd3e0c-6389-4942-8939-753f3c0d8587
  4. Can someone explain this sorting?

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. can anyone explain what happened?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    can anyone explain what happened?: When I turn my Pc on, Windows 11 went completely stock, removed my background back to the default one, and half of my stuff was logged out, then when i restarted, it all went back to normal? I have no idea what happened. before i restarted...
  6. can anyone explain what happened?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    can anyone explain what happened?: When I turn my Pc on, Windows 11 went completely stock, removed my background back to the default one, and half of my stuff was logged out, then when i restarted, it all went back to normal? I have no idea what happened. before i restarted...
  7. What happened to Microsoft Assure????

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    What happened to Microsoft Assure????: I paid for telephone help and now the number I used to use to get it 1 800 642-7676 directs me to online help which will 100% not fix my problem. I need to speak to tech support!!! I PAID for it!!!!...
  8. Can anyone explain what's happening with these .ico files?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can anyone explain what's happening with these .ico files?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Antyos [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/kxmfgm/can_anyone_explain_whats_happening_with_these_ico/
  9. clipboard, explain what it is

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    clipboard, explain what it is: what is clipboard, and what is it for/ https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/clipboard-explain-what-it-is/dcf35fbe-cc4a-4e28-ac9a-40e778060930
  10. What’s happening at Microsoft ?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    What’s happening at Microsoft ?: Hi Microsoft There is a saying that you dont fix things unless it is broke. Windows 7 was great. So was XP and, before it, Windows 95. The rest of your OS are just duds, especially Vistra. Each cohorts of Microsoft try to justify their existence by developing new OS. The...