Windows 10: Microsoft Spartan: Chrome Extensions target native support

Discus and support Microsoft Spartan: Chrome Extensions target native support in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Tomorrow is Microsoft's big day when they will pull back the curtain on Windows 10 and show off a new browser. We have been reporting on Spartan since... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Brink, Jan 19, 2015.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Microsoft Spartan: Chrome Extensions target native support

Read more: Microsoft Spartan: Chrome Extensions targeted for native support - Neowin

Brink, Jan 19, 2015
  2. BunnyJ New Member

Sweet... I can't wait to test out Spartan!!

:)

BunnyJ, Jan 19, 2015
  3. Can only open Chrome through Edge

Hi,

Starting at Computer (or Windows Explorer- Windows logo key + e) navigate to

[C:\Program Files\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe]

or [C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe]

on a 64-bit system. Does double-clicking on Chrome.exe open Chrome?

> access it through Edge

Can you explain this? How exactly do you access Chrome through Edge?

Right-click the program shortcut you use to open Chrome> Properties> Target. Has anything been added to the Target?

Example: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe"
    http://www.intellicast.com

(intellicast.com has been added to this Target.

If you open Chrome> Settings> Extensions, are there any Extensions you didn't add?

Don

Don Varnau, Jan 19, 2015
  4. StarWolff Win User

.url files not working correctly

.url files not working correctly

Win8.1

Google Chrome - installed a year ago - set as default browser

.url files worked fine, when double-clicked, opened in Chrome

.url files - right-click context menu properties sheet target tab showed the Target URL

.url file extension hidden in Windows Explorer

3 months ago (still using Win8.1), things changed:

.url files did NOT correctly: when double-clicked, opened in Chrome displaying NOT the target url, but the contents of the .url file --- I have to drag the .url file to the address bar of Chrome to get it to open the link to the website.

.url files - right-click context menu properties sheet target tab NO LONGER shows the (now-called) 'Web Document' tab, that has the Target URL

.url file extension now showing in Windows Explorer

2 months ago, upgraded to Windows 10 - upgrade, not a clean install

the .url issues persist - did not get corrected with the Win10 upgrade.

How do I fix these issues without doing a clean install?

Thanks is advance, and LLAP

StarWolff, Jan 19, 2015
  5. Trust_No1 Win User
    Well, if Microsoft's goal for Spartan is to be able to run Chrome extensions, then why wouldn't a user just use Chrome? I have little confidence in Microsoft's extensions ability. Point in case, I use my Google Play as my main music app over all of Windows trinkets. Flash is embedded in chrome, no 3rd party. I do like MS online Office over Google Docs. I even use Google extensions for photo editing.

To me, it just seems, Microsoft just keeps trying to copy other products.

But, I guess another browser to choose from is not a bad thing. Again, I am thinking it will only work with Windows 10, maybe 8, and forward so I think adoption might be slow.

Trust_No1, Jan 20, 2015
  6. Personally, I would love to use IE only, but there are two or three addons/extensions which are pretty much unavoidable for my browsing experience, and only because of this I am using FF now, Chrome before. Support for Chrome extensions without Chrome would solve this conundrum for me, so looking forward to what future brings...

Olivir2014, Jan 20, 2015
  7. Wow...that's pretty awesome. That might make me think about giving Spartan a real shot.

blackroseMD1, Jan 20, 2015
  8. waltc Win User

Flash is made/updated by Adobe--and *nobody* else...*Wink Adobe Flash - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Google extensions are all 3rd party, just like Microsoft's IE & Firefox extensions, etc. That's why they are called "extensions."

I find Google software, including G. Play and Docs, to be very amateurish, but that's just me...*Wink

Well, Microsoft was shipping a browser before Google wrote the first line of code for Chrome, and of course Microsoft is the author of Windows--for which Google has no analogue or counterpart. Indeed, like Netscape and then Mozilla, Google owes pretty much its entire existence to the Microsoft Windows market. Ironic, eh?

Unless a new browser brings something new and interesting to the table, I agree with you in thinking there are enough of them already. But maybe Microsoft will do some neat stuff with this...time will tell. (Just be glad you don't have to use Safari...*Wink)

waltc, Jan 21, 2015
  9. gzt7d8 Win User
    I definitely will give it a fair shake.

gzt7d8, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Microsoft Spartan: Chrome Extensions target native support - Similar Threads - Microsoft Spartan Chrome

2. Chrome Extension Virus

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Chrome Extension Virus: Hello, there is an extension called "Apps" on my computer that I can not remove. It says that it isn't from the Chrome Web Store and I feel like I've done everything to try and remove it but yet it is still there. It usually closes Chrome and reopens randomly. It has also...
  3. vRackBlock Virus Extension in Microsoft Edge and Chrome

vRackBlock Virus Extension in Microsoft Edge and Chrome: This is an Extension File created automatically when windows boots. It infected Chrome and Microsoft Edge also. Extention name is vBlockRack I removed it so many times but it automatically gets installed. It redirects every site to ads, even from Microsoft and Google...
  4. Google Chrome Extensions

Google Chrome Extensions: I'm using Google Chrome for my browser. I keep receiving a notice to "protect your browser" by installing an extension. Does Google control the extensions? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/google-chrome-extensions/85f3af18-4ea5-4fc1-9148-ef8fbe344fdb
  5. Microsoft is bringing native-like experience to Chrome PWAs

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft is bringing native-like experience to Chrome PWAs: In order to help Google seamlessly integrate PWAs services with its browser, Microsoft is planning to add URL Protocol Handler Registration support for Progressive Web Apps. The integration is pretty neat and it aims to create a more engaging native-like experience....
  6. chrome extensions

in Browsers and Email
    chrome extensions: Anybody know why Google has pulled the Ghostery extension from it's web store? Even the actual website, when trying to install it you get error 404. Same thing from when trying to get it from MajorGeeks site. 141805
  7. Opera 55 Web Browser now supports Chrome extensions

in Windows 10 News
    Opera 55 Web Browser now supports Chrome extensions: Opera has been regularly working on introducing new features for its Chromium based Opera web browser. The company is now working on two new versions of its browser, Opera 55 and Opera 56. The Opera 55 version of the web browser is now in beta testing phase and the company...
  8. Does Microsoft Edge support extensions?

in Browsers and Email
    Does Microsoft Edge support extensions?: And does it have all of the "essentials" like ad blocking? 19421
  9. Suspect Chrome Extensions

Suspect Chrome Extensions: Malicious Chrome Extensions... https://documents.trendmicro.com/ass...-droidclub.pdf 103743
  10. Spartan Browser To Get Extensions Confirmed

in Windows 10 News
    Spartan Browser To Get Extensions Confirmed: Microsoft's new browser for Windows 10, codenamed "Spartan," will be getting extensions, company officials confirmed during a Twitter chat on January 27. In an #AskIE chat on Twitter, IE team members confirmed what had been rumored: Extensions are coming to IE. Microsoft...