Windows 10: Microsoft SQL Server 2005 [ENU] no longer supported

Discus and support Microsoft SQL Server 2005 [ENU] no longer supported in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; My desktop pc is an upgrade from Windows 7 and as such will possibly have some legacy software with it. One of those packages appears to be Microsoft... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by parsonm, Jun 13, 2017.

1. parsonm Win User

Microsoft SQL Server 2005 [ENU] no longer supported

My desktop pc is an upgrade from Windows 7 and as such will possibly have some legacy software with it. One of those packages appears to be Microsoft SQL Server 2005 [ENU] which reading online was possibly loaded when I first installed Windows Live Mail. I am still using this and now running with WLM2012.

Recently Windows has advised that this SQL package is not compatible with Windows 10 and is no longer updated. It is the only SQL server package listed under Programs and Features of the Control Panel.

This begs the question what to do now as there is obviously a security risk? Is it just a question of upgrading to a later version? Am I right in assuming that whatever routine is using 2005, it will automatically find 2104? I have also noticed a SQL entry under Drivers of the ODBC Data Sources both 32 and 64 bit.

Reading various websites indicates that an upgrade to say 2014 is not that straight forward, although I might be confusing the advice with actual server upgrades as against desktop PC’s. I have tried looking for tutorials to carry out an upgrade without much success, which leads me to believe one of two options. The first is that it is very easy – uninstall 2005 and then install 2104 and a tutorial is not necessary or it is much more complicated than the first option, not that straight forward and not to be attempted unless you are a professional expert!

Any advice greatly appreciated.

:)

parsonm, Jun 13, 2017
  2. Xithyl Win User

Microsoft sql server 2005 compact edition

Hello unfortunately i was not able to upgrade from sql server 2005 so i decided to make a fresh install of the sql server 2014 should i uninstall the sql server 2005?

Xithyl, Jun 13, 2017
  3. Ramon Imp Win User
    Microsoft sql server 2005 compact edition

Hi,

Microsoft SQL Server 2005 and earlier versions of SQL Server are not supported on Windows 10. Please be informed that SQL Server 2005 is no longer supported since April 12, 2016. In order to receive security updates and technical support, it is recommended
    upgrading to SQL Server 2014 if you're using Windows 8 and later version of Windows for a better performance. To see the compatible versions of SQL Servers for Windows 10, please check the Minimum SQL Server version requirements for Windows 10 and
    Windows Server 2016
    section of this
    article

Should you have any questions, feel free to reply.

Ramon Imp, Jun 13, 2017
Thema:

Microsoft SQL Server 2005 [ENU] no longer supported

1. Microsoft SQL Server 2005 [ENU] no longer supported - Similar Threads - Microsoft SQL Server

2. Unable to apply SQL Server 2005 SP4 ENU on SQL 2005 ESN Installation

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to apply SQL Server 2005 SP4 ENU on SQL 2005 ESN Installation: Hi, I want to perform inplace upgrade on existing SQL Server 2005 Express SP3 with Advanced Services x86 ESN Spanish to SQL Server 2014 Express Advanced Services. Before i upgrade I need to patch SQL Server 2005 with SQL Server 2005 Express with advanced Services - Service...
  3. Unable to apply SQL Server 2005 SP4 ENU on SQL 2005 ESN Installation

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to apply SQL Server 2005 SP4 ENU on SQL 2005 ESN Installation: Hi, I want to perform inplace upgrade on existing SQL Server 2005 Express SP3 with Advanced Services x86 ESN Spanish to SQL Server 2014 Express Advanced Services. Before i upgrade I need to patch SQL Server 2005 with SQL Server 2005 Express with advanced Services - Service...
  4. SQL 2005

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SQL 2005: SQL Server won't start : "SQL Server detected a logical consistency-based I/O error:....tempdb.mdf"When I try to start after deleting tempdb.mdf, it is recreated and the same error reappears....
  5. SQL 2005

SQL 2005: SQL Server won't start : "SQL Server detected a logical consistency-based I/O error:....tempdb.mdf"When I try to start after deleting tempdb.mdf, it is recreated and the same error reappears....
  6. How to uninstall Windows SQL Server 2005?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to uninstall Windows SQL Server 2005?: I tried to install the latest version of Server SQL 2019 and keep getting an error: Ooops... Unable to install SQL Server setup.exe. Exit code Decimal: -2058052413 I assume this is because there is already an older version already installed. I am trying to uninstall the...
  7. Microsoft sql server 2005

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Microsoft sql server 2005: To whom it may concern: I have this old application (ms sql server 2005) under applications and features and I want to remove it, no side effect? Kian William winver: 1909 157254
  8. Microsoft SQL Server

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Microsoft SQL Server: I have just had to upgrade from Windows 10 Home to Pro in order to install the update of a Tax program I use. The reason for the upgrade was because the Home edition would not allow the installation of Microsoft SQL Server. So the Pro edition lets it run through to the end...
  9. SQL Server 2005 Compact Edition

SQL Server 2005 Compact Edition: My Secunia is showing that SQL needs an update. From what I have read this edition is no longer supported. I have no idea what program I have installed that is using SQL but am assuming that i have a program that uses it. I have installed SQL Server Compact 4.0 SP1 x64 ENU. I...
  10. lost SQL Server 2005

in Windows 10 Support
    lost SQL Server 2005: All: On my Desktop Computer: Downloading pictures from my camera, an error occurred! The error report said that MS SQL Server 2005 was missing! I looked this up & it said SQL server 2005 has been replaced by SQL Server 2015! Is there an easy solution to this...