Windows 10: Microsoft starts force upgrading more Windows 10 PCs using machine learning

Discus and support Microsoft starts force upgrading more Windows 10 PCs using machine learning in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; In the coming weeks or months, Microsoft says it will begin installing Windows 10 version 20H2 ‘October 2020 Update’ on devices running outdated... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinLatest, Mar 3, 2021.

1. WinLatest New Member

Microsoft starts force upgrading more Windows 10 PCs using machine learning

In the coming weeks or months, Microsoft says it will begin installing Windows 10 version 20H2 ‘October 2020 Update’ on devices running outdated versions of the OS. Microsoft is apparently using ‘machine learning’ to automatically upgrade the compatible hardware without user permission to ensure a “smooth experience”.

Windows 10 version 1903 has already reached the end of service and version 1909 will be discontinued soon. Windows 10 version 2004 is also set to lose support later this year, and your device will be automatically updated to the most recent version of the OS i.e the October 2020 Update, whether you like it or not.

“We are increasing the number of devices that are approaching end of service to update automatically to Windows 10, version 20H2,” Microsoft noted in a support document last updated on February 23.

Predictive models will be used to more accurately update the outdated devices and Microsoft previously confirmed that it has already seen promising results using machine learning.

Of course, Microsoft will avoid restarting your device at inconvenient times like when you’re using the machine and are in the middle of something.

If you don’t want Microsoft to force upgrade the device, make sure that you’re running Windows 10 version 2004 or version 20H2.

Users of version 2004 will be required to make the switch to Windows 10 version 20H2 or newer in the second half of 2021, which means they still have time.

It’s also worth noting that affected users will be notified of the forced upgrade via a notification on the Windows Update page. You can also manually trigger the update and restart the device whenever you want to head of the deadline.

October 2020 Update bug status

Windows 10 20H2, which is the latest version of the OS, began rolling out in October with a new theme-aware Start menu, Alt + Tab improvements and several annoying bugs.

Microsoft has already fixed most of the critical bugs in version 20H2 with the January and February cumulative updates.

Microsoft starts force upgrading more Windows 10 PCs using machine learning Windows-21H1.jpg

At the moment, Microsoft is focusing on Windows 10 21H1, which is expected to launch in May or June, followed by the big Sun Valley update in October/November.

The post Microsoft starts force upgrading more Windows 10 PCs using machine learning appeared first on Windows Latest

Weiterlesen...

WinLatest, Mar 3, 2021
  2. btarunr Win User

Microsoft Hit by First Successful Windows 10 Forced Upgrade Lawsuit

Microsoft has been hit by the first successful lawsuit over its forced Windows 10 upgrade. The first of possibly many, Teri Goldstein from California, successfully sued Microsoft for $10,000 in damages and legal fees over its deceptively designed Windows 10 upgrade software, which automatically downloaded and upgraded her computer's Windows 7 installation almost without the consent of the user. She convinced the court that the upgrade made her computer slower, and that she lost business due to the upgrade process and the slowing down of her computer. Microsoft dropped its appeal and paid up.

Microsoft is heavily criticized for the way it distributes its free Windows 10 upgrade for PCs with Windows 7 and Windows 8. What started out as an optional upgrade, quickly evolved into an almost unavoidable upgrade that forces itself upon the users, through clever design of the upgrade software's user interface. Microsoft recently changed Windows 10 upgrade into a "recommended update" for Windows 7/8, making users with auto-install for recommended updates discover that their machines have been upgraded almost without their consent. Could this be the first of many successful lawsuits over this issue at least in a precedent-driven American civil justice system?

Microsoft starts force upgrading more Windows 10 PCs using machine learning 165a_thm.jpg

Source: The Guardian, Many Thanks to revin for the tip.

btarunr, Mar 3, 2021
  3. CK011885 Win User
    Installing Windows 10 on New PC?

I'm going to be building a new PC on Christmas and want to install Windows 10 on it. I have Windows 10 on my current PC, which I installed upgrading from 8.1 with the files on a USB. How do I go about installing a clean copy of Windows 10 on this new PC? I think I recall something about installing it once makes Microsoft recognize your hardware, but since this will be a PC I'm not sure what steps I need to take. Do I need to go 8.1 -> 10 or is there a method of going directly to 10?

CK011885, Mar 3, 2021
  4. r.h.p Win User

Installing Windows 10 on New PC?

What's your intended PC specs ??

r.h.p, Mar 3, 2021
Thema:

1. Microsoft starts force upgrading more Windows 10 PCs using machine learning - Similar Threads - Microsoft starts force

2. Machine Learning training begins to roll out Windows 10 updates more intelligently

in Windows 10 News
    Machine Learning training begins to roll out Windows 10 updates more intelligently: Microsoft released a new feature update for its Windows 10 operating system last month. Windows 10 version 21H1 is a smaller update that installs almost as fast on devices running Windows 10 version 2004 or 20H2 as the monthly cumulative updates the company releases. The...
  3. Windows Security - Learn More

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Security - Learn More: Some may not be aware of this and some may find the info available enlightening, interesting. > Windows Security 'dashboard'. > any category & at the top-right is Windows community videos...
  4. Using machine learning to improve the Windows 10 update experience

in Windows 10 News
    Using machine learning to improve the Windows 10 update experience: Regular Microsoft updates to your Windows 10 PC help ensure that it’s kept secure from possible threats and empowered with the latest features for peak performance and productivity. Because of the wonderful diversity of hardware, devices and applications available to Windows...
  5. Microsoft lifts Windows 10 version 1903 upgrade block for more PCs

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft lifts Windows 10 version 1903 upgrade block for more PCs: Microsoft maintains a list of known issues and upgrade blocks for Windows 10 version 1903. With the latest Patch Tuesday update, Microsoft appears to have lifted the upgrade block for Windows 10 May 2019 Update, or version 1903, allowing more users to install the latest...
  6. Securing the future of AI and machine learning at Microsoft

in Windows 10 News
    Securing the future of AI and machine learning at Microsoft: Artificial intelligence (AI) and machine learning are making a big impact on how people work, socialize, and live their lives. As consumption of products and services built around AI and machine learning increases, specialized actions must be undertaken to safeguard not only...
  7. Getting Started with Windows Machine Learning

in Windows 10 News
    Getting Started with Windows Machine Learning: With the Windows 10 October 2018 Update, Windows Machine Learning is out of preview and ready to become part of your AI toolbox. The Windows ML inference engine evaluates trained models locally on Windows devices, removing concerns of connectivity, bandwidth, and data...
  8. window 10 machine learning

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    window 10 machine learning: Good morning Recently, I have an inquiry to see the article, I will contact you. Windows 10 Future Feature Updates May Be Updated for Machine Learning I confirmed the contents. In fact, please check if there is a plan to be provided in the 1809 feature update. * Moved from...
  9. Gaming with Windows Machine Learning

in Windows 10 News
    Gaming with Windows Machine Learning: Neural Networks Will Revolutionize Gaming Earlier this month, Microsoft announced the availability of Windows Machine Learning. We mentioned the wide-ranging applications of WinML on areas as diverse as security, productivity, and the internet of things. We even showed how...
  10. Microsoft Forces the Windows 10 Upgrade on Windows 7 PCs

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft Forces the Windows 10 Upgrade on Windows 7 PCs: The upgrade is automatically initiated at system reboot Microsoft’s offering Windows 10 as a free upgrade to those on Windows 7 and 8.1, and an update that was released on June 1 is supposed to offer a direct way to move to the new operating system. Initially, this...