Windows 10: Microsoft starts to phase out NetBIOS and LLMNR to focus on mDNS

Discus and support Microsoft starts to phase out NetBIOS and LLMNR to focus on mDNS in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Microsoft's Windows operating system supports several multicast name resolution protocols, including NetBIOS and LLMNR. The state of the art protocol... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Apr 23, 2022.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

Microsoft starts to phase out NetBIOS and LLMNR to focus on mDNS

Microsoft's Windows operating system supports several multicast name resolution protocols, including NetBIOS and LLMNR. The state of the art protocol that is widely used today is mDNS, while the protocols NetBIOS and LLMNR are not widely used anymore.

Microsoft starts to phase out NetBIOS and LLMNR to focus on mDNS configure-netbios-windows-1.png

In Aligning on mDNS: ramping down NetBIOS name resolution and LLMNR, Microsoft informs Windows system administrators that it plans to disable the old protocols in future versions of Windows to improve device security and decrease the load on the networks they use.

Microsoft is aware that there are still scenarios and "real-world deployments" in which these protocols are used, but the company is convinced that disabling the protocols by default is the right direction to take.

The company has not started the process of disabling LLMNR by default yet, but it has started the process for NetBIOS.

The NetBIOS protocol is already turned off by default on cellular devices according to Microsoft. In the latest Windows Developer and Beta Insider builds, NetBIOS is in learning mode. Learning mode means that NetBIOS is used as a fallback if mDNS and LLMNR queries fail.

The change may lead to connectivity issues in some cases. Administrators may modify a Group Policy or a Registry value to change the behavior of the protocol.

Note: the Group Policy Editor is only available on Professional and Enterprise editions of Windows. Home edition administrators may modify the behavior in the Registry.

Changing NetBIOS in the Group Policy Editor

Microsoft starts to phase out NetBIOS and LLMNR to focus on mDNS configure-netbios-windows.png

1. Use the keyboard shortcut Windows-R to open the Run box on the system.
    2. Type gpedit.msc and hit Enter; this should load the Group Policy Editor.
    3. Navigate to Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Network > DNS Client.
    4. Double-click on the Configure NetBIOS policy.
    5. Set the policy to Enabled.
    6. Use the menu that is provided "Configure NetBIOS options" to switch to one of the supported options:
      • Allow NetBIOS name resolution -- Enables full NetBIOS support.
      • Disable NetBIOS name resolution -- Turns off NetBIOS support on the device.
      • Disable NetBIOS name resolution on public networks -- Keeps NetBIOS enabled on private networks, but disables it on public networks.
      • NetBIOS learning mode -- NetBIOS is only used as a fallback if mDNS and LLMNR queries fail.
    7. Select OK to save the new policy setting.
    Changing NetBIOS in the Windows Registry

The same options are also available in the Windows Registry.

1. Use the keyboard shortcut Windows-R to open the run box.
    2. Type regedit.exe and hit the Enter-key.
    3. Navigate to Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Dnscache\Parameters in the Registry Editor.
    4. Right-click on Parameters and select New > Dword (32-bit) Value.
    5. Name the value EnableNetbios.
    6. Double-click on the new Dword and set it to one of the following values:
      • 0 -- Disabled.
      • 1 -- Allowed.
      • 2 -- Disabled on public networks.
      • 3 -- Learning Mode.
    7. Close the Registry Editor after you have made the change.

Closing Words

LLMNR has not been touched yet, but Microsoft plans to make similar changes to this protocol in future builds and versions of the Windows operating system.

Now You: do you use NetBIOS or LLMNR? (via Deskmodder)

Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post Microsoft starts to phase out NetBIOS and LLMNR to focus on mDNS appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, Apr 23, 2022
  2. Brink Win User

Documenting the Web together with MDN Web Docs

Source: Documenting the Web together - Microsoft Edge Dev Blog

Brink, Apr 23, 2022
  3. Ported number doesn't show up as SIM's MDN

Thanks for your suggestion JG2yang1, but since I posted this question back in February my network provider firstly suggested they try a network refresh (which didn't change anything) and then a replacement SIM. With that new SIM, the MDN setting simply
    disappeared. The phone no longer indicates any such setting as Settings>About>More Info>MDN: or
    (phone)>Settings>My Number Is... I also learned that I am not the only Lumia owner on that network (EE in UK) who has experienced this issue.

Do you know the anwer to my original question: Is it the case that Windows Phone owners have no way to edit the displayed MDN?

Martin 520, Apr 23, 2022
  4. Brink Win User

Microsoft Edge Chakra documentation is joining MDN web docs

Source: Chakra documentation is joining MDN web docs - Microsoft Edge Dev Blog

Brink, Apr 23, 2022
Thema:

1. Microsoft starts to phase out NetBIOS and LLMNR to focus on mDNS - Similar Threads - Microsoft starts phase

2. Microsoft is phasing out VBScript in Windows to improve security

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft is phasing out VBScript in Windows to improve security: Microsoft announced plans to deprecate Visual Basic Script (VBScript) support in its Windows operating system. The company introduced VBScript, which is modeled on Visual Basic, in 1996. Web developers were the initial target of the scripting language, but it soon gained...
  3. Start Screen out of focus

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Start Screen out of focus: Last Windows 10 update caused my Start Screen to be out of focus. Is there a fix for this problem? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/start-screen-out-of-focus/9e5459ca-c6a3-4162-9b4a-a71670842c95
  4. Microsoft to phase out Microsoft Store for Business and Education

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft to phase out Microsoft Store for Business and Education: Microsoft is continuing to try to clean up its digital app-store mess. Its latest planned move, according to my contacts: Get rid of the Microsoft Store for Business and Microsoft Store for Education. The Microsoft Store, originally known as the Windows Store, is Microsoft's...
  5. Out of focus

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Out of focus: Hello. A few days ago (09/09/19, there abouts) I started noticing text/icons in my desktop windows falling out of focus. At first it seem to be mainly be the text, now it seems to have progressed to the icons and the complete window dialouge/frame in whole. [ATTACH] As...
  6. Screen out of focus

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Screen out of focus: Today I am witnessing for the first time two thin lines around one third up from the bottom of my screen and at the bottom almost a third along the bottom line is broken dots. The words written inside this area are two toned and inverted plus all the writing or icons in the...
  7. Netbios

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Netbios: I've seen lots of problems with Windows 10 and Netbios. I am unable to netbios from a win 10 machine to any other. Works fine from a Windows 7 machine. I've tried every single change I could find for the registry, firewall, hosts, lmhosts, you name it and I've tried it. Still...
  8. LLMNR, Bonjour and other zeroconf

LLMNR, Bonjour and other zeroconf: For a long time I am trying to find and answer to a issue. I have a machine that runs Windows Server 2019, where several roles and software are being tested. I would like to install the Apple Bonjour zeroconf software as a requirement for other software, but there are also...
  9. photo out of focus

in Windows 10 Customization
    photo out of focus: need to make a photo defused / very out of focus Character are black, but I want the characters to be out of focus. will be use in an ad. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/photo-out-of-focus/d143878a-db7c-4da0-97eb-de379d6e1a98
  10. NetBIOS discovery

NetBIOS discovery: Hi---one of computers connected to home LAN running Windows 10 can't be viewed in Network control panel of others. What are the services required to be started on both guest and host computers to show local computer automatically in Explorer under Network branch? I have...