Windows 10: Microsoft Steps Back from the Cliff on Windows 10 Upgrades

Discus and support Microsoft Steps Back from the Cliff on Windows 10 Upgrades in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; After months of mounting criticism, and just one month from the end of the free Windows 10 upgrade, Microsoft has finally seen the light: It will stop... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Brink, Jun 27, 2016.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Microsoft Steps Back from the Cliff on Windows 10 Upgrades

Read more: Microsoft Steps Back from the Cliff on Windows 10 Upgrades - Thurrott.com

:)

Brink, Jun 27, 2016
  2. Microsoft Steps Back from the Cliff on Windows 10 Upgrades

The change is pretty much irrelevant, since the free upgrade offer is about to finish.

lehnerus2000, Jun 27, 2016
  3. Winuser Win User
    I agree. Nothing like waiting till the very last minute.

Winuser, Jun 27, 2016
  4. Way too long in coming, IMHO.

alphanumeric, Jun 27, 2016
  5. galaxys Win User
    Definitely late... pressure has been building! *Eek

galaxys, Jun 27, 2016
  6. Microsoft Steps Back from the Cliff on Windows 10 Upgrades

They hit their numbers and .... well, all is good in Redmond Land.

Now, will they remove all of the appraiser and GWX stuff from machines - doubt it.

Slartybart, Jun 27, 2016
  7. Looey Win User
    From the Seattle Times:
    California resident Teri Goldstein sued Microsoft when their tech support would not fix issues with her travel agency business computer, which became unusable for days after automatically installing Windows 10.

She was suing for lost wages and the cost of a new computer, and she won $10,000. Microsoft has dropped their appeal of the case, to — in their words — “avoid the expense of further litigation,” although they haven’t admitted any wrongdoing.

Looey, Jun 27, 2016
  8. MrBill Win User
    I am interested in seeing the install numbers come the end of August/September. Some maybe wrong, but I think those who say folks will rollback to 7 after this is all over are probably correct. Not all, but I think you are going to see a bump downward.

MrBill, Jun 28, 2016
  9. It's not always clear how they count installs ...
    If you upgrade to Win10 that's +1,
    if you roll back, is that necessarily -1?

Marketing would revolt against this - they live on numbers.
    See how well we're doing they say ... never mind the man behind the curtain ... there are 300 million Win10 installs (never mind the 100 million who rolled back). Numbers are examples only - I have no way of knowing how many rolled back.

Mr Sluggo

Slartybart, Jun 28, 2016
  10. MrBill Win User
    Ideally netmarketshare and others should notice a blip around August/September if any do role back. I've seen lots of comments from folks indicating their game plan to roll back after the anniversary to avoid the nag screen again. Of course, if they are planning on using their old license for Windows 7 they maybe in for an ugly shock since Microsoft rolled those up to Windows 10 with the upgrade.

Personally I'm on the fence. I think Windows 10 does a better job with my 8 core processor and the SSDs than Windows 7 did. However, Windows 7 definitely is mature, predictable, and everything I own software wise runs flawlessly on it.

MrBill, Jun 28, 2016
  11. bobad Win User

MS wants Windows to be loved?

Only geeks, which make up a very small segment of the Windows user base, are capable of loving an OS. Even so, I'll bet most geeks will never love it. I judge an OS on whether it will allow or impede my beloved apps to run right. It passes. *Nerd

bobad, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Microsoft Steps Back from the Cliff on Windows 10 Upgrades - Similar Threads - Microsoft Steps Cliff

2. Microsoft edge of a cliff

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft edge of a cliff: Microsoft edge of a cliff falling to Goggle the Edge might get washed away. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microsoft-edge-of-a-cliff/1ff77a4c-bb07-4015-bbbf-473874594fa5
  3. Microsoft edge of a cliff

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microsoft edge of a cliff: Microsoft edge of a cliff falling to Goggle the Edge might get washed away. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microsoft-edge-of-a-cliff/1ff77a4c-bb07-4015-bbbf-473874594fa5
  4. Upgrade to Windows 10 Steps

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrade to Windows 10 Steps: How do I go about upgrading to windows 10 for free as mention on Microsoft website? I have a purchased Windows 7 pro licence on my current desktop PC. I tried to follow the steps shown on the website but ended up with error: 0x80072F8F - 0x20000...
  5. Upgrade to Windows 10 Steps

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Upgrade to Windows 10 Steps: How do I go about upgrading to windows 10 for free as mention on Microsoft website? I have a purchased Windows 7 pro licence on my current desktop PC. I tried to follow the steps shown on the website but ended up with error: 0x80072F8F - 0x20000...
  6. Upgrade to Windows 10 Steps

in Windows 10 Gaming
  7. Windows 10 Installation Step by Step

Windows 10 Installation Step by Step: This DiscussionBog can Provide you all detailed info about Windows 10 Installation Step by Step at one Place https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-installation-step-by-step/fbc07d5c-13f9-435f-bda7-abb325aa3b3d
  8. One Step Forward, Two Steps Back...

One Step Forward, Two Steps Back...: I had a small problem and thought it would be a simple fix. I went to scan for corrupted drivers, forgot to uncheck Microsoft drivers, and ended up uninstalling everything. Now, I know everything’s kind of weird. it gets stuck in an infinite boot loop, with the Omen logo and...
  9. What are steps for upgrade from Win7 to Win10?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    What are steps for upgrade from Win7 to Win10?: Hi I have been using Linux many years but now I am returning back to Windows. I have Dell E6500 laptop and I like to install Win10 Pro 64 bit OS for that laptop. I have following "tools" in my hand: - Win10 Pro and activation "Windows is activated with a digital licence...
  10. Followed steps for clean install from upgrade, but won't activate

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Followed steps for clean install from upgrade, but won't activate: I've read the instructions on various websites. I had Windows 8.1 Home activated and updated. Upgraded to Windows 10 Home. It activated and updated. Did a clean install of Windows 10 Home and it won't activate. I skipped both key input screens and it says my key is...