Windows 10: microsoft stopped working after changing appdata folder location

Discus and support microsoft stopped working after changing appdata folder location in Microsoft Windows 10 Store to solve the problem; after changing my appdata folder location my microsoft and some of default app like photo and groove music stopped working and after terminating and... Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows 10 Store' started by pashmak 090, Feb 21, 2024.

1. microsoft stopped working after changing appdata folder location

after changing my appdata folder location my microsoft and some of default app like photo and groove music stopped working and after terminating and resetting the apps after closing the tab they no longer are in the apps listits like they got uninstalled and i can find them by searching but i cant open the app or app settingand i cant open microsoft so i cant download those apppls help me i need those apps.

:)

pashmak 090, Feb 21, 2024
  2. Nicrite Win User

Vista Ultimate - 'User' Folder Location

No tried that.

Can copy the entire folder to D; but Windows still points to C as the location. Can change personal folders location to a folder on D;, but this still leaves hidden files etc on C;. Thus meaning there are 2 Users folders. Have managed to change the Public folder location to D;, with some registry tweaks, but this doesnt seem to work for the entire folder.

any more suggestions

Nicrite, Feb 21, 2024
  3. Changing folder location

Hi Kenneth,

To change the location of a personal folder (e.g., Videos), follow these steps:

1. Right-click the personal folder, and then click Properties.
    2. Switch to the Location tab in the dialog box.
    3. Click Move....
    4. Select the destination folder path and then click OK.
    Your apps will know the location of the shell folder, whichever drive it is in.

Ramesh Srinivasan, Feb 21, 2024
  4. microsoft stopped working after changing appdata folder location

The Background theme (image) showing Black after changing the AppData/Roaming Location

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you are facing issues while changing the wallpaper on your PC after changing the location of Appdata folder.

Ideally, it is not advised to change the location of the Appdata folder as it can corrupt the user account files and some of the features of the account might not work properly.

I appreciate your efforts in trying to resolve the issue by following certain troubleshooting steps. However, as the issue persists I would suggest you to follow the steps mentioned below and check if that helps.

Change the registry settings for changing wallpapers.

Note: Important this section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow
    these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs.

Refer the article on
    How to back up and restore the registry in Windows

1. Press Windows key + R. This will open
      Run. Alternatively, you can go to Start and search for Run.
    2. In Run dialog box, type
      regedit
      and hit enter.
    3. Navigate to the location
      HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies

4. Now right click on the
      Policies
      key and click on New.
    5. Select Key option and rename it to
      ActiveDesktop.
    6. Now select the ActiveDesktop key and right click on the right hand pane.
    7. Click on New and select
      DWORD (32-bit) Value.
    8. Rename the file to NoChangingWallpaper.
    9. Double-click on the file and change the
      Value data field to 0.
    10. Restart the PC.

If the issue persists, please get back to us with the results of troubleshooting steps to assist you better.

Regards,

Prakhar Khare

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Prakhar_Khare, Feb 21, 2024
Thema:

microsoft stopped working after changing appdata folder location

1. microsoft stopped working after changing appdata folder location - Similar Threads - microsoft stopped working

2. microsoft stopped working after changing appdata folder location

in Windows 10 Gaming
    microsoft stopped working after changing appdata folder location: after changing my appdata folder location my microsoft and some of default app like photo and groove music stopped working and after terminating and resetting the apps after closing the tab they no longer are in the apps listits like they got uninstalled and i can find them...
  3. microsoft stopped working after changing appdata folder location

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    microsoft stopped working after changing appdata folder location: after changing my appdata folder location my microsoft and some of default app like photo and groove music stopped working and after terminating and resetting the apps after closing the tab they no longer are in the apps listits like they got uninstalled and i can find them...
  4. Is the folder "PlaceholderTileLogoFolder" located in the local file in appdata cause for...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is the folder "PlaceholderTileLogoFolder" located in the local file in appdata cause for...: The folder contains some jpg photos from a couple of apps seemingly various sizes of logos for said apps. I noticed some new photos appeared once I opened the photos app for the first time on this PC I believe. I've seen some conflicting information on various forums, but...
  5. Is the folder "PlaceholderTileLogoFolder" located in the local file in appdata cause for...

Is the folder "PlaceholderTileLogoFolder" located in the local file in appdata cause for...: The folder contains some jpg photos from a couple of apps seemingly various sizes of logos for said apps. I noticed some new photos appeared once I opened the photos app for the first time on this PC I believe. I've seen some conflicting information on various forums, but...
  6. Changing folder location

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Changing folder location: Can I change the location of folders that I have made up in the default videos program to a drive that I have also made from a simple volume?Kenneth https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/changing-folder-location/7c53fd1a-117d-4841-92ec-e3c8272430a7
  7. Changing folder location

Changing folder location: Can I change the location of folders that I have made up in the default videos program to a drive that I have also made from a simple volume?Kenneth https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/changing-folder-location/7c53fd1a-117d-4841-92ec-e3c8272430a7
  8. Search is not working in AppData folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Search is not working in AppData folder: I tried to exclude the AppData folder from exceptions but the search is not still working in it. Is this a hidden folder? c:\users\User name\AppData\Roaming\microsoft\Internet Explorer\User Pinned Thank you....
  9. Problems after changing TEMP folder's location

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Problems after changing TEMP folder's location: Hi. I'm asking here because I have a problem with my windows installation. To avoid damaging my SSD by too much writing, I tried to change the location of the TEMP folder for the user and for windows itself. I already did this on another computer and everything went...
  10. Changed the visibility properties of AppData folder... some applications stopped working

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Changed the visibility properties of AppData folder... some applications stopped working: Hi everyone! I recently had to work using files in my folder C:\Users\<my_user>\AppData and since I had to open it and close it several times, I decided to changed it from "hidden" to "visible". After doing that, some applications stopped working on my device and now I...