Windows 10: Microsoft Store download takes up more disk space than expected

Discus and support Microsoft Store download takes up more disk space than expected in Microsoft Windows 10 Store to solve the problem; Hi everyone. So I am downloading Gears 4 in the MS Store, Ihad about 260GB in my SSD, so even though thegame is pretty big 133 GB, it was enough to... Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows 10 Store' started by Christian Andrés Vargas, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Microsoft Store download takes up more disk space than expected

Hi everyone.

So I am downloading Gears 4 in the MS Store, Ihad about 260GB in my SSD, so even though thegame is pretty big 133 GB, it was enough to download it. The game is at42.5 GB, but my C drive already says I only have 142 GB left. It shouldn't be that much of a difference. What happened to almost 60 GB of space? Are any of those GB temporary files, or is something wrong with the game?

Thanks.

:)

Christian Andrés Vargas, Jan 20, 2021
  2. A_S00 Win User

How can I free up space taken up by an incomplete Microsoft Store download?

Found the solution. Steps I used to fix this:

1. Open the C:\Program Files\WindowsApps folder, which is where the Windows Store puts its downloads. The WindowsApps folder isn't permissioned to normal users, so this has to be done using some utility that's being run as administrator (either a command prompt window, or some other file manager like 7zip; h/t ManSamVampire for the 7zip suggestion). DO NOT assign ownership of the WindowsApps folder to your own user account to gain access to it, as doing so will cause major problems and can't be easily undone (h/t Ramhound's answer for this warning).
    2. Sort the subfolders inside WindowsApps by the date they were last modified; this will let you easily find the folders that have recently had new stuff put into them.
    3. In my case, the offending subfolder was called MSIXVC, which is apparently a type of installer used by the Windows Store. Inside, I had an anomalous 37GB file created last night with no file extension, called "8BBF2763-A1C6-4F1B-96CA-B79DD5FDA4EE". Given that this file was enormous, created at the right time, and in a subfolder suggesting it was an installer, I concluded that this was the droid I was looking for.
    4. From within your run-as-administrator utility, delete the offending file. I deleted the ginormous, bafflingly-named file from the MSIXVC folder, and lo and behold I had all my disk space back!

Now redownloading and installing Outer Worlds. This time I'll know better than to turn off my computer partway through.

A_S00, Jan 20, 2021
  3. Low Disk Space error

Hi,

I suggest you to delete the unwanted applications or games installed on the device and also perform a Disk Cleanup.

In order to delete the games or applications, which has been downloaded from the Windows Store you need to right click on the game and select
    Uninstall option from the Start menu.

If the games that you are downloaded are .exe or the applications which are not downloaded from the Windows Store, you may try deleting it from the Control panel.

To do so, please follow the below steps.

• Right Click on Start Menu.
    • Open Control Panel.
    • Click Programs.
    • Click Programs and Features.
    • Click on the programs that you would like to uninstall.
    I suggest you to try the steps in the following article to free up space and check if it helps.

Free up drive space in Windows 10

Also, refer to the Wiki Article created by
    Andre Da Costa
    from the below link:

How to free up disk space in Windows

How to free up disk space in Windows

Hope it helps. Revert to us with the results, will be glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Mohan Babu ER, Jan 20, 2021
  4. Microsoft Store download takes up more disk space than expected

My disk space is gone

Hi John,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community.

I do appreciate your efforts and time.

Try to run theSystem Maintenance Troubleshooter.

• Press Windows key + W and type
      Troubleshooting.

• Select Troubleshooting.

• Select view all on the top left corner.

• Click System Maintenance,
      follow onscreen instructions.
    I suggest you to run Check Disk which performs an analysis of the disk. Refer to the steps below:

• Press Windows key + X.
    • Click on Command prompt (Admin).
    • Type chkdsk /f and hit enter.
    For reference:

Tips to free up drive space on your PC:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/free-up-disk-space

Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Kalpana Shankarappa, Jan 20, 2021
Thema:

Microsoft Store download takes up more disk space than expected

1. Microsoft Store download takes up more disk space than expected - Similar Threads - Microsoft Store download

2. System restore is taking more space than the configured limit

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    System restore is taking more space than the configured limit: Today I saw that system restore is taking more space than the limit that I configured. Before it was lower than the limit. What is problem with system restore and how can I fix it?...
  3. System restore is taking more space than the configured limit

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System restore is taking more space than the configured limit: Today I saw that system restore is taking more space than the limit that I configured. Before it was lower than the limit. What is problem with system restore and how can I fix it?...
  4. Files taking up more space than they should.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Files taking up more space than they should.: So when i download files, or pick files from my old computer to the one i am using now, the files take up more space than they should, and my disk storage seemingly keeps decreasing alone, the problem seems to be fixed when i delete the file, however the extra storage space...
  5. Files taking up more space than they should.

Files taking up more space than they should.: So when i download files, or pick files from my old computer to the one i am using now, the files take up more space than they should, and my disk storage seemingly keeps decreasing alone, the problem seems to be fixed when i delete the file, however the extra storage space...
  6. Windows taking more space than usual

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows taking more space than usual: Dear all,I have Windows 10 on my laptop. I found in an answer in the Microsoft community that usually windows 10 takes up to 20 GB of space in the drives. But in my system, it is showing it takes 29GB. How I can get rid of this extra 9GB ?...
  7. Windows taking more space than usual

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows taking more space than usual: Dear all,I have Windows 10 on my laptop. I found in an answer in the Microsoft community that usually windows 10 takes up to 20 GB of space in the drives. But in my system, it is showing it takes 29GB. How I can get rid of this extra 9GB ?...
  8. Windows taking more space than usual

9. Check Disk is taking a lot longer than expected

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Check Disk is taking a lot longer than expected: Okay well I am going to try to include as much infomation whilst still keeping this short. I am not too sure how to add, so I will just say everything. So about 2 years ago I was given a refurbished HP ProBook to use for school, and it was working for most of my needs. So...
  10. Windows taking more disk space

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows taking more disk space: I have upgraded from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10. Now, my C drive is almost full with 714GB occupied by "System and reserved". I was in an assumption that, Windows 10 was suppose to take less space. Can you please help me in this. 22430