Windows 10: Microsoft Store Games only work on external drives

Discus and support Microsoft Store Games only work on external drives in Microsoft Windows 10 Store to solve the problem; I have been trying to install a few games from the Microsoft Store (e.g. Asphalt 9) onto my Windows 10 Pro laptop but if I install them onto the... Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows 10 Store' started by RG_13, Oct 31, 2019.

1. RG_13 Win User

Microsoft Store Games only work on external drives

I have been trying to install a few games from the Microsoft Store (e.g. Asphalt 9) onto my Windows 10 Pro laptop but if I install them onto the internal SSD, they won't open. They will only open if they are moved onto an external flash drive. Other apps which are installed onto my internal SSD still work, though.

I have tried the following without a positive result:

Restarted laptop

Updated Windows

Reset Microsoft Store

Reset the games

Reinstalled Windows

Please could you help me open games which are installed on my internal SSD?

:)

RG_13, Oct 31, 2019

2. Installing to a second Drive. D: or external (Non Boot up Drives)

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We understand your concern as you are looking for an option to move the game location from the C drive to the Drive D, which is an external drive.

In this scenario, we would suggest you to perform these steps and check if that resolves your issue on both laptop and Desktop.

1. As usual install the game on the PC’s in
      C Drive.
    2. Insert the external
      D drive
      to the PC.
    3. Press Windows + I key from the keyboard to launch
      Settings.
    4. Select Apps and click on
      Apps & features
      from the left pane.
    5. Search for the installed game from the list on the right pane.
    6. Single click on the game and select
      Move.
    7. Select the D drive under
      Choose a drive
      where you want to move the game.
    8. Restart the PC with the external drive connected and then launch the game.

We await your response.

Aditya Roy

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Aditya_Roy, Oct 31, 2019
  3. External drive

Hi Richard,

There are several factors that can cause your external drive to not read DVDs even though the system is recognizing the device. This could be caused by a driver that needs to updated or corrupted files. For us to resolve your concern, kindly answer the questions
    below:

• Just to confirm, the device that is not working properly is a external DVD optical drive?
    • Were there any recent changes or updates installed on your computer?
    • Have you tried to plug the external drive to a different port on your computer?

As a initial recommendation, we suggest that your run the built in troubleshooter in Windows 10. Kindly refer to the steps below:

• Type “Troubleshooting” in the Search bar and press Enter.
    • Click on “View All” in the top left corner.
    • This will display the list of troubleshooters which are built-in in the computer. You can click on
      Hardware and Devices from the list and you can run the troubleshooter.

This will check for common errors that affect hardware on your computer and attempts to correct them.

We look forward to your response after completing the steps.

Jordan Dom, Oct 31, 2019
  4. Microsoft Store Games only work on external drives

Install Microsoft Store Game In Specific Folder

Hi,

I understand that you want to organize your Windows 10 storage location. However, the feature you're looking for is currently not possible. We suggest sending feedback to Microsoft using Feedback Hub app. You can visit this
    article to know more details about it.

Moreover, you could always choose a preferred location from the Store settings, or move installed content to a different drive. In case you have the OS installed on an SSD and have a dedicated drive for games, the feature will make it more convenient to
    download games to a dedicated drive before initiating the download.

You can follow the steps below on how to install Windows Store apps on a separate drive:

1. Open Settings.
    2. Click on System.
    3. Click on Storage.
    4. Under "Save locations," and on "New apps will save to," select the new drive location.

Once you completed the steps, new apps you download from the Windows Store will now install automatically in the new location.

If you need further assistance, don't hesitate to get back to us.

Michelle Vil, Oct 31, 2019
Thema:

Microsoft Store Games only work on external drives

1. Microsoft Store Games only work on external drives - Similar Threads - Microsoft Store Games

2. External Drive will no longer eject after installing a game from the Microsoft store.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External Drive will no longer eject after installing a game from the Microsoft store.: I have a Dell G5 SE that I just got before Christmas 2021 and I got this game pass trial for a dollar and I installed everspace 2 early access on my external drive, and now it will not allow me to eject the drive. This was not a problem until I installed software from the...
  3. External Drive will no longer eject after installing a game from the Microsoft store.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External Drive will no longer eject after installing a game from the Microsoft store.: I have a Dell G5 SE that I just got before Christmas 2021 and I got this game pass trial for a dollar and I installed everspace 2 early access on my external drive, and now it will not allow me to eject the drive. This was not a problem until I installed software from the...
  4. Microsoft store games not working.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft store games not working.: Microsoft Store refuses to download Minecraft. First Minecraft wouldn't start, so I deleted it and now it won't download again from the store. Clicking install just deletes the install button and nothing happens at all. If I go to Minecraft's store page and click install the...
  5. I can not download the game from the Microsoft Store on my external drive

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    I can not download the game from the Microsoft Store on my external drive: Why can't I download games from the Microsoft Store on my external hard drive, but I have a low-memory SSD that I can not download games like SEA OF THIVES or FORZA 4 there, but I can download them without ERROR, but when I want these games on the external hard drive I can...
  6. Microsoft store game not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft store game not working: I paid for the walking dead season final game for the pc on micro soft store it downloads and installs and brings up a window with two little windows in it then does nothing ive reset it ive deleted it i dont know what to do? [ATTACH]...
  7. Microsoft store downloads not working when using external hard drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Microsoft store downloads not working when using external hard drive: I'm trying to download a game on my external hard drive and it always stops at 2.10mb or the small amount it has downloaded (Downloads in chunks of ~80mb occasionally, currently on ~160mb) Microsoft store is fine when downloading something to my internal drive The external...
  8. Can't launch Microsoft store game stored in external hdd

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Can't launch Microsoft store game stored in external hdd: I have Halo MCC Microsoft store version stored inside my external drive and so I decided to remove the drive from one pc and plug it onto another pc. The new pc detected the hard drive just fine as I plugged it in but when I go to Microsoft store to launch Halo Mcc it...
  9. Microsoft store not detecting external drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Microsoft store not detecting external drive: My son is trying to instal Microsoft Flight Simulator, but Microsoft Store is not detecting his external drive, though it is visible in Disk Management. It is usable on Steam....
  10. Microsoft Store Games only work on external drives

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft Store Games only work on external drives: I have been trying to install a few games from the Microsoft Store (e.g. Asphalt 9) onto my Windows 10 Pro laptop but if I install them onto the internal SSD, they won't open. They will only open if they are moved onto an external flash drive. Other apps which are installed...