Windows 10: Microsoft Store has a third-party Google Photos app that reportedly shows ad

Discus and support Microsoft Store has a third-party Google Photos app that reportedly shows ad in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; A developer has published an app in the Microsoft Store that disguises itself on devices as an official Google Photos app solution. An app titled Album... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinLatest, Oct 14, 2018.

1. WinLatest New Member

Microsoft Store has a third-party Google Photos app that reportedly shows ad

A developer has published an app in the Microsoft Store that disguises itself on devices as an official Google Photos app solution. An app titled Album By Google landed in the Microsoft Store and the publisher is listed as Google LLC.

It’s most likely to be a fake app because Google’s official Microsoft Store account is Google Inc and not Google LLC. When we checked the Microsoft Store, we noticed the apps that Google released over the years has Google Inc. account name and not Google LLC which confirms our speculation.

It’s also worth noting that the app was published in the Store in May and Google has not announced the application on any official social media channel.

How did it even get passed? Is the app certification process dead? "LLC Google" isn't an official publisher. Please @MicrosoftStore, remove this stupid thing now! https://t.co/1yLaONTXN9 pic.twitter.com/WaBxvOZNcy

— Aggiornamenti Lumia (@ALumia_Italia) October 12, 2018

After installing the app, you will be greeted with a Google login screen. The users are claiming that the app shows ad but you can click on the X in the upper right corner to disable ads.

The review section of the app has revealed that many users have come across malicious advertisements.

Microsoft Store has a third-party Google Photos app that reportedly shows ad Google-Photos-app-review.jpg

“This is a FAKE application and not by Google. As many have pointed out, it presents a suspicious message and is likely malware. This should be immediately removed from the market place,” a user writes in the review section of the app. “My paid Anti-malware solution detected several attempts to download malware by this app. Watch out,” another user explains.

Microsoft Store has a third-party Google Photos app that reportedly shows ad GPhotos-app-folder.jpg

We installed the app on a test machine and dug into the folder of the app and found a program called Block Craft 3D which has nothing to do with Google Photos. Interestingly, we also found a photo named thankyou.jpg inside the folder that encourages users to click on advertisements.

Fake apps in the Play Store are a big problem as there many developers that create listings designed to look exactly like popular apps and somehow they always trick Google’s certification system and start bombarding users with ads and malware.

Microsoft Store, on the other hand, has a better certification system to ensure fake apps are away from the marketplace but there are few cases where third-party developer managed to sneak in with fake apps.

The post Microsoft Store has a third-party Google Photos app that reportedly shows ad appeared first on Windows Latest

Weiterlesen...

WinLatest, Oct 14, 2018

2. microsoft app store

How to run apps that are downloaded from Microsoft app store on multiple PCs without downloading multiple times.

Subhash Boipai, Oct 14, 2018
  3. store and photos app isnt showing proper icons

Hello Aditya,

As you are facing issues with accessing Photos app on your device with icons not displayed properly, we will help you with this issue.

Try the below troubleshooting steps and check if it helps.

Step 1: I suggest you to check if there is any update for Photos app from Windows Store. If found, try to update the app and check if it helps.

Open Windows Store, search for Photos app, check if you are able to find Update option.

Step 2: I suggest you to run the
    Windows Store Apps troubleshooter as it troubleshoots problems that may prevent Windows Store Apps from working correctly.

Run the troubleshooter for Windows apps

Step 3: I recommend you to install all the pending updates on your device and check if it helps.

Steps:

• Connect to the internet.
    • Press Windows key and type updates.
    • Click on Check for updates.
    • Under Windows Updates, click on Check for updates.
    • Try to install the updates being shown.

Hope it helps. Try the above and update us the status of this issue. We will be happy to help you further.

Thank you.

Deepika Gowda, Oct 14, 2018
  4. Microsoft Store has a third-party Google Photos app that reportedly shows ad

WINDOWS 10 MICROSOFT PHOTO APP

Hello,

Welcome to Microsoft Community.

The Photos app brings together pictures from all your devices using OneDrive, so that you can browse them by date, album or folder. It also automatically enhances photos, and creates albums for you, to showcase your best shots.

I suggest you to follow the methods below and check if it helps:

Method 1:

I suggest you to change the Default apps in the setting app and verify the result. You may follow the steps in the below:

• Go to settings and system.
    • Click on Default Apps and select the appropriately.

Method 2:

I suggest you to reinstall Photo app using the PowerShell command
    and reinstall using the Windows store. Follow the below steps.

• Open the Start menu, type Windows PowerShell in the search bar.
    • Right click on the Windows PowerShell and select Run as administrator.
    • Enter the below command to uninstall the Photo app.

•   get-appxpackage  *Microsoft.Windows.Photos* | remove-appxpackage

More reference:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-10/photos

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help.

Anju Thekkethil, Oct 14, 2018
Thema:

Microsoft Store has a third-party Google Photos app that reportedly shows ad

1. Microsoft Store has a third-party Google Photos app that reportedly shows ad - Similar Threads - Microsoft Store has

2. Windows Copilot's is showing third-party Ads to Windows users

in Windows 10 News
    Windows Copilot's is showing third-party Ads to Windows users: Microsoft is about to launch Windows Copilot as part of the October 2023 cumulative update for Windows 11 version 22H2. It is already included in the preview update released at the end of September 2023, but not available in all regions at the time of writing. Without...
  3. install third party apps

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    install third party apps: instal third party apps https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/install-third-party-apps/04e3528a-0b11-41df-b58c-eb32289aee08
  4. install third party apps

in Windows 10 Gaming
    install third party apps: instal third party apps https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/install-third-party-apps/04e3528a-0b11-41df-b58c-eb32289aee08
  5. Buying third party programs via Microsoft store

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Buying third party programs via Microsoft store: Hello Microsoft community Supporters!, One before one week,I saw Photoshop program was shown on Microsoft store.Can I buy it one time from Microsoft store? Best regards, Rasheed Abdulrahman....
  6. third party sofware and microsoft apps

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    third party sofware and microsoft apps: Have you heard the one about Microsoft Windows 10 updates making third party software unusable and even some of their own apps no longer working, what sort of dunces have they got working for them these days, I think the advice for every computer tech these days would be to...
  7. Updating Third party non microsoft store Apps Feature Request

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Updating Third party non microsoft store Apps Feature Request: I have this Idea What if microsoft made a app update utility to update all third party apps. For example:- Take any app. In the early stages microsoft can release a public notice to display the update server url in thier website. Then we could copy that to the update...
  8. download of third party apps

download of third party apps: I try to download an app from anywhere else (but the Microsoft store) and windows denies the download (pretending security reasons?) how is that possible? how to avoid?...
  9. Third-party developer adds seven Google web apps to the Windows 10 Store

in Windows 10 News
    Third-party developer adds seven Google web apps to the Windows 10 Store: One of the most common criticisms against Microsoft’s mobile platform was the lack of quality apps for its modern Windows ecosystem. Google is not interested in building UWP apps for Windows 10 devices and the absence in Windows Store is a living proof that the search engine...
  10. Uninstall third-party app installed from Store?

Uninstall third-party app installed from Store?: I can't find the answer to this in tutorials. I have just installed Video Trimmer Guru from the Store and can immediately see it will not fit my requirement, therefore I want to uninstall it - but I cannot see how to do it. When I right-clicked and selected Open Folder...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. third party google photos app