Windows 10: Microsoft Store: no astronomical pricing and paid open source or free copycat applications...

Discus and support Microsoft Store: no astronomical pricing and paid open source or free copycat applications... in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Microsoft updated the Microsoft Store policies on June 16, 2022. One of the changes prohibits publishers from charging fees for software that is open... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Jun 17, 2022.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

Microsoft Store: no astronomical pricing and paid open source or free copycat applications...

Microsoft updated the Microsoft Store policies on June 16, 2022. One of the changes prohibits publishers from charging fees for software that is open source or generally available for free. Another that irrationally high pricing is used on the store.

Microsoft Store: no astronomical pricing and paid open source or free copycat applications... microsoft-store-policy-update.png

If you have been to the Microsoft Store in the past couple of years, you may have noticed that it is home to more and more open source and free products. While that would be a good thing if the original developer would have uploaded the apps and games to the store, it is not, because the uploads have been made by third-parties.

Even worse is the fact that many of these programs are not freely available, but available as paid applications. In other words: Microsoft customers have to pay money to buy a Store version of an app that is freely available elsewhere. Sometimes, free and paid versions exist side by side in the Store.

Having to pay for a free application is bad enough, but this is not the only issue that users may experience when they make the purchase. Updates may be of concern as well, as the copycat programs may not be updated as often or as quickly as the source applications.

Microsoft notes under 10.8.7 in the updated Microsoft Store Policies:

In cases where you determine the pricing for your product or in-app purchases, all pricing, including sales or discounting, for your digital products or services must:

Comply with all applicable laws, regulations and regulatory guidelines, including without limitation, the Federal Trade Commission Guides Against Deceptive Pricing.

Not attempt to profit from open-source or other software that is otherwise generally available for free, nor be priced irrationally high relative to the features and functionality provided by your product.

The updated section confirms the new policies. Open source and free products may not be sold anymore on the Microsoft Store, if generally available for free, and publishers are not allowed to set irrationally high price tags for their products anymore. The developers of open source and free applications may charge for their products on the Microsoft Store, the developer of Paint.net does that, for example.

If Microsoft enforces the policies, numerous applications will be removed from the Store. Developers could report applications to Microsoft before, but the new policies give Microsoft control over application listings and submissions directly.

Now You: have you used the Microsoft Store in the past? (via Deskmodder)

Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post Microsoft Store: no astronomical pricing and paid open source or free copycat applications anymore appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, Jun 17, 2022
  2. Pavan_N Win User

Filter by price

Hi Thanatica,

Please answer these questions to assist you better.

• Are you referring these feature in Windows Store?
    • When you say 'filtering by price' are you referring to price filters ascending or descending?

If yes then I suggest you to open Windows Store click on
    Apps tab
    ; Click on Top apps; Under Refine you can filter for free and paid apps. However there is no option to filter ascending or descending under paid. You may leave feedback about this feature in Feedback app. Thank
    you.

Pavan_N, Jun 17, 2022
  3. btarunr Win User
    HP to Contribute webOS to Open Source

HP today announced it will contribute the webOS software to the open source community. HP plans to continue to be active in the development and support of webOS. By combining the innovative webOS platform with the development power of the open source community, there is the opportunity to significantly improve applications and web services for the next generation of devices.

webOS offers a number of benefits to the entire ecosystem of web applications. For developers, applications can be easily built using standard web technologies. In addition, its single integrated stack offers multiplatform portability. For device manufacturers, it provides a single web-centric platform to run across multiple devices. As a result, the end user benefits from a fast, immersive user experience.

“webOS is the only platform designed from the ground up to be mobile, cloud-connected and scalable,” said Meg Whitman, HP president and chief executive officer. “By contributing this innovation, HP unleashes the creativity of the open source community to advance a new generation of applications and devices.”

HP will make the underlying code of webOS available under an open source license. Developers, partners, HP engineers and other hardware manufacturers can deliver ongoing enhancements and new versions into the marketplace.

HP will engage the open source community to help define the charter of the open source project under a set of operating principles:
    • The goal of the project is to accelerate the open development of the webOS platform
    • HP will be an active participant and investor in the project
    • Good, transparent and inclusive governance to avoid fragmentation
    • Software will be provided as a pure open source project
    HP also will contribute ENYO, the application framework for webOS, to the community in the near future along with a plan for the remaining components of the user space.

Beginning today, developers and customers are invited to provide input and suggestions here.

btarunr, Jun 17, 2022
  4. Microsoft Store: no astronomical pricing and paid open source or free copycat applications...

Microsoft Store free apps

Hello,

Corrupted system files can cause issues when downloading applications from the Microsoft Store. However, for us to provide you the most appropriate assistance, can you provide us the exact error message that you're getting?

As an initial troubleshooting step, we suggest that you reset the Microsoft Store cache and try to download applications again. Check out the steps below:

• Press Windows + R keys to open the run command box.

• Type WSReset, then try launching Microsoft Store and sign in.

• Once done, try to download applications.

We'll wait for any updates to assist you further.

Jennifer Bri, Jun 17, 2022
Thema:

Microsoft Store: no astronomical pricing and paid open source or free copycat applications...

1. Microsoft Store: no astronomical pricing and paid open source or free copycat applications... - Similar Threads - Microsoft Store astronomical

2. Paid Apps, Free Apps and Apps with Price Tag in Microsoft Store

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Paid Apps, Free Apps and Apps with Price Tag in Microsoft Store: In the Store, I saw 3 categories of applications i.e. Free App, Paid App, and App with a price tag. What is the difference between apps with a price tag and Paid? Thanks...
  3. Paid Apps, Free Apps and Apps with Price Tag in Microsoft Store

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Paid Apps, Free Apps and Apps with Price Tag in Microsoft Store: In the Store, I saw 3 categories of applications i.e. Free App, Paid App, and App with a price tag. What is the difference between apps with a price tag and Paid? Thanks...
  4. Open Source on Microsoft Store

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Open Source on Microsoft Store: How can I publish a free open-source project on Microsoft Store? It's a Win32 Windows desktop app using WinUI 3 and Windows SDK API. What sort of developer account do I need?...
  5. Open Source on Microsoft Store

Open Source on Microsoft Store: How can I publish a free open-source project on Microsoft Store? It's a Win32 Windows desktop app using WinUI 3 and Windows SDK API. What sort of developer account do I need?...
  6. Microsoft Website and Microsoft Store Price Difference

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Microsoft Website and Microsoft Store Price Difference: I noticed that there is a difference between the prices of Windows 10 Pro for Workstations from Microsoft Store and Microsoft Website. I like to know the details why and if it is more advisable from purchasing from Microsoft Store or Microsoft Website. [ATTACH][ATTACH]...
  7. Charging for Free open Source in the Windows Store

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Charging for Free open Source in the Windows Store: Gimp 2.10 is free , Blue Fish editor is free, as is Clementine Player yet I am seeing. these apps. pop up in the windows store for 10$ and up. Free and open source programs should remain just that. Free and open source . Ain't no glory in just repacking another devs app...
  8. Visual studio community is free , open source or paid software

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Visual studio community is free , open source or paid software: i downloaded visual studio community as i can't find separate applications for c,cpp and visual studio . i am a computer student. i downloaded it because i thought it was free, open source. [ATTACH] But in visual studio community, this shows like this : [ATTACH] This...
  9. Free or paid alternatives to OneDrive

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Free or paid alternatives to OneDrive: Hi all, When I was traveling all the time due to work I started using One Drive as the place to store all of my personal documents and files due to the fact that I use my personal MS account to sign into all of my desktop and laptop devices. I have recently stopped...
  10. Paid (or free) replacement for iTunes

Paid (or free) replacement for iTunes: I have found iTunes to be a real POS on Windows. A big, and continuing frustration is that I can't do a new install of iTunes, same system or different, without getting a stupid message about how iTunes will sync the phone or tablet to this system ONLY after wiping out the...