Windows 10: Microsoft Store not launching due to missing registry key

Discus and support Microsoft Store not launching due to missing registry key in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; The Microsoft Store won't launch, and instead gives the error "blocked by system administrator". I've narrowed it down to a missing registry key,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by ColinL, May 21, 2019.

1. ColinL Win User

Microsoft Store not launching due to missing registry key

The Microsoft Store won't launch, and instead gives the error "blocked by system administrator".

I've narrowed it down to a missing registry key, Microsoft.WindowsStore_8wekyb3d8bbwe, at this directory:
    Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\bam\UserSettings\**UNIQUE USER SPECIFIC CODE**\

The "unique user specific code" references an individual user for the PC. Using the Process Monitor from sysinternals, I found that it was missing this particular key. Looking at another PC, it seems that all the values in this directly, including Microsoft.WindowsStore_8wekyb3d8bbwe, are uniquely generated for each user, and that this specific key is only created when a user first opens the Microsoft Store. I base this off the fact that on the other PC on which the Store works, the key only existed for the user on which I had previously launched the Store.

My guess as to why the key isn't generating is wonky file permissions. As I was poking around other directories, I found that I couldn't gain access to some (such as C:\Program Files\WindowsApps) even though I'm an administrator and those files are set to allow admins access. I manually got around this by taking ownership of the file and re-adding admins as an allowed user. Keep in mind that before this, the file had admins as an allowed user, but for some reason failed to recognize it. Essentially, at some point or another, all secure, admin-only files appear to have forgotten that admins are allowed access.

Thus, I come to my theory. The necessary key isn't being generated because even though I'm an admin, I'm denied access to certain folders, not giving it everything it needs. Since every 'secure' folder I've come across has been like this, and since I can't manually fix every single secure folder, what should I do? Is there any way to reset file security settings en masse?

Thanks for any and all help!

:)

ColinL, May 21, 2019
  2. Nikhar_K Win User

Unable to launch Microsoft Store and Microsoft store apps.

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand how it could be when the applications doesn’t work as they are supposed to. We will look into this. However, please reply to the following questions to help you in a better way:

• Are you getting any error message?
    • Since when are you facing this issue?
    • Are you aware of any changes made on the computer recently?

In the meantime, I suggest you to follow the steps from the article
    Fix problems with apps from Microsoft Store
    to fix the issues with the Microsoft apps that are not launching. Also, follow the steps from the article

Microsoft Store doesn't launch
    to fix the issues you are facing in launching Store.

Hope it helps.

Please reply with the status of the issue, we will be glad to help you further.

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, May 21, 2019
  3. Microsoft Store not Launching

Hi,

Thank you for bringing up your query on Microsoft Community.

I realize this may be frustrating.

Now that you have me with you, let me take care of this.

This issue could have occurred due to conflict between third party software.

Let us try the following steps, and check if it helps.

Step 1: Initially, I suggest you to follow the steps provided by
    Sayan_Ghosh (October 9, 2015) in the following thread that speaks about a possible
    solution for the related issue:

Windows Store does not launch

Windows Store does not launch

Step 2: If the issue persist, I suggest you to refer the link below on Windows store does not open - missing PurgeCaches replied by

ReneAlex
    replied on October 18, 2013.

Windows store does not open - missing PurgeCaches

Step 3: You may also, provide the diagnostic information and other feedback to our Windows Store engineering team.

I suggest you to refer to the following article created by
    MscottID (MSFT):

RE: Recent Store Launch Issues

RE: Recent Store Launch Issues

Hope it helps.

Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows. We are glad to assist you.

Abdul_Malik, May 21, 2019
  4. Microsoft Store not launching due to missing registry key

Microsoft Store app not launching

Hello,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

1. Since when are you facing this issue?
    2. Do you get any error code when you try to open the store app?
    3. Which build version of Windows 10 you are using currently?

Refer the article to check
    Which Windows operating system am I running?

I suggest you to follow the steps mentioned below and check if that helps.

Method 1:

Reset Microsoft store.

1. Press Windows key + R. This will open
      Run. Alternatively, you can go to Start and search for Run.
    2. In Run dialog box, type
      wsreset
      and hit enter.

The command will reset the store cache and open the app once the command is complete.

Method 2:

Create a new user account and check. Refer the article to

create a local user or administrator account in Windows 10

Also, you can refer the article
    Microsoft Store doesn't launch

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Prakhar Khare

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Prakhar_Khare, May 21, 2019
Thema:

Microsoft Store not launching due to missing registry key

1. Microsoft Store not launching due to missing registry key - Similar Threads - Microsoft Store launching

2. Microsoft store not launching

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microsoft store not launching: I need help, please my Microsoft store is not opening. I would appreciate any assistance that would get my issue fixed. When I try to open the Microsoft store, it flashes and close back. I have contacted Microsoft support, but I was directed here....
  3. Microsoft Store is not launching

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft Store is not launching: The Microsoft Store in Start menu appears with a progress bar underneath and will not launch when I open it. Please help. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microsoft-store-is-not-launching/e55b8ddf-9975-48a7-8094-29c6939f4aea
  4. Microsoft Store not launching

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Microsoft Store not launching: The Microsoft Store in the Start menu appears with a progress bar underneath and will not launch when I open it. Please help. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microsoft-store-not-launching/e55b8ddf-9975-48a7-8094-29c6939f4aea
  5. Microsoft Store not launching

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft Store not launching: The Microsoft Store in the Start menu appears with a progress bar underneath and will not launch when I open it. Please help. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microsoft-store-not-launching/e55b8ddf-9975-48a7-8094-29c6939f4aea
  6. Microsoft Store not launching

7. Microsoft store not launching

Microsoft store not launching: Hello, I recently reset the Microsoft store because the apps weren't installing and after I pressed reset, the Microsoft store wouldn't launch. No error messages or pop-ups just nothing. I press it and nothing happens. I really need to fix this because I really would like...
  8. Microsoft Store not launching

Microsoft Store not launching: I have been trying to launch my Microsoft Store but it isn't working. I tried updating it and following otger suggesting by Microsoft community but it's still not launching. Any other suggestions could do me a world of good. Thank you...
  9. Microsoft Photo app missing and Microsoft Store unable to launch

Microsoft Photo app missing and Microsoft Store unable to launch: I have 2 x Windows 10 system. Both recently unable to open any jpg file, error show "Package could not be registered". I have done the below steps but still can't find Photos installed. - run wsreset.exe - reset Microsoft Photo - re-registered Microsoft Photo via...
  10. Microsoft Store Will Not Launch

Microsoft Store Will Not Launch: Hi. When downloading an app, I checked the box to not open the Store app when clicking an available app. I thought it would give me an alternative and that I could easily change the choice back if needed. That is not the case. I've tried the advice I found so far,...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. microsoft store not launching registry key

2. windows stor missing in registry