Windows 10: Microsoft Store remembers App history for local users

Discus and support Microsoft Store remembers App history for local users in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Windows 10 users have two options when it comes to user accounts on a system running the operating system: they can use a Microsoft Account or a local... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Nov 8, 2018.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

Microsoft Store remembers App history for local users

Windows 10 users have two options when it comes to user accounts on a system running the operating system: they can use a Microsoft Account or a local account.

Both account types have permissions to access the integrated Microsoft Store to download apps or games from the Store; Microsoft unlocked the option in 2016 for local accounts. Microsoft records the application history, the installed applications on the device, for both user account types but restricts access and data for local accounts.

Windows 10 users who use local accounts and the Microsoft Store will notice that Microsoft remembers installed applications. The data seems to be linked to the hardware ID of the device that Microsoft uses for activation purposes; means: a re-installation of the operating system or formatting the hard drive has no impact on the application history as it will become available again when local accounts are created on the device.

Microsoft Store remembers App history for local users store-app-history-local-account.png

To make matters worse, there is no option to delete the app history currently so that anyone may look up the entire history of installed and updated applications on the device. The listing has its uses for users who reinstall their device frequently as it makes it easier to install apps again on the device.

Why is that a problem?

Your entire history of downloaded applications from Microsoft's Store remains on the device if you sell the PC or give it to someone; this happens even if you format the drive or reinstall the Windows operating system.

The main issue is that there is no option to clean the application history currently to avoid this from happening before you give it away or sell it. You may not want the new owner of the device to know that you downloaded apps or games such as Bieber Dentist, Sex Trainer for Band, or Blood Pressure Manager from the Store.

Installations are tracked for each local account suggesting that Microsoft uses additional data and not only the hardware ID to keep records.

Microsoft distinguishes clearly between application installations linked to a device's hardware and application installations by Microsoft accounts.

You will notice that application installations by Microsoft Accounts are not displayed when you open the application history when signed in to a local account. Microsoft Account users don't get the list of applications installed by a local account. Microsoft seems to remembers the application history for each local account individually. The distinction makes sense considering that two different users may use these accounts on the device.

All of this would not really be an issue if Microsoft would have included an option to delete personal information, and installed applications fall into that category in my opinion.

The issue is not really one if you use the computer and don't plan on selling it or giving it away or if you use a Microsoft Account for all Store activity. Local users who use the Store need to be aware that their application history will become available to the new owner of the device if they sell it or give it away.

What can you do about it?

Microsoft Store remembers App history for local users installed-apps.png

The two main options that users have that are worried about the recording is to either use a Microsoft Account for all Store downloads or don't use the Store at all. An option to empty the application history for local accounts would provide users with options to clear the data before they sell the device.

Now You: What is your take on this? (via Heise)

Ghacks needs you. You can find out how to support us here or support the site directly by becoming a Patreon. Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post Microsoft Store remembers App history for local users appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, Nov 8, 2018

2. microsoft app store

How to run apps that are downloaded from Microsoft app store on multiple PCs without downloading multiple times.

Subhash Boipai, Nov 8, 2018
  3. P4-630 Win User
    Microsoft is purging a lot of low quality apps from the Windows Store

"Microsoft is sending emails to some Windows Store developers informing them that their apps have been removed from the Store for violating its quality standards."

"Neowin reports that app developers have been receiving these emails over the past couple of days:

In its latest review of the Store, Microsoft is evaluating if the published apps are good enough to be listed in the Windows Store. This includes publicly available apps as well as private beta apps. Additionally, Microsoft is also asking developers to delete any promotional campaigns for their apps to prevent advertising charges. Similarly, app name reservations are also being nullified; which means that if your app is unpublished, there's no guarantee that you'll be able to republish it under the same name.

Officially, the policies for the Microsoft Store says that apps must have "distinct and informative metadata" and "provide a valuable and quality user experience". There are also some specific standards that must be in the apps, including having a name that is not similar to another app or device, along with offering a description that is accurate about its features and functions.

There have certainly been many Windows Store users who have complained over the years about the large number of apps published that are clones of other apps or ones that are simply poorly made. Hopefully, this new move by Microsoft will help to curb these issues, at least for now.
    "

http://www.windowscentral.com/microsoft-purging-lot-low-quality-apps-windows-store

P4-630, Nov 8, 2018
  4. Microsoft Store remembers App history for local users

Microsoft Apps are not working

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. We understand the inconvenience caused and will assist you.

I suggest you to run the Windows Store Apps Troubleshooter by following the steps below:

• Type “Troubleshooting” in search bar and press Enter.
    • Click on “View All” on top left pane.
    • Select “Windows Store Apps” from the list and follow the prompts for troubleshooting.

Also, I suggest you to check if there are any updates available for the apps in Windows Store.

If the issue still persists, suggest you to create another user account and check for status.

Create a local user account in Windows 10

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-my/windows-10/create-a-local-user-account-in-windows-10

Hope this helps. Keep us posted on the status for further assistance.

Eeshwar Kumar, Nov 8, 2018
Thema:

Microsoft Store remembers App history for local users

1. Microsoft Store remembers App history for local users - Similar Threads - Microsoft Store remembers

2. Microsoft store history apps

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft store history apps: Hi guys,I wrongly Reset the Microsoft Store because it didn't work. now its working but the download history is not available deleted is there anyway to see the download history/ apps that i had before?Thank you...
  3. Microsoft store history apps

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microsoft store history apps: Hi guys,I wrongly Reset the Microsoft Store because it didn't work. now its working but the download history is not available deleted is there anyway to see the download history/ apps that i had before?Thank you...
  4. Microsoft Store updates & reliability history

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft Store updates & reliability history: Hi everyone, after setting up Windows 11 there were a lot of updates to be installed after pressing ‘get updates’.It was a bit odd as it said retry next to most of the apps, but I noticed that they were installing one by one and the list said no apps installed.As soon as I...
  5. Microsoft Store updates & reliability history

Microsoft Store updates & reliability history: Hi everyone, after setting up Windows 11 there were a lot of updates to be installed after pressing ‘get updates’.It was a bit odd as it said retry next to most of the apps, but I noticed that they were installing one by one and the list said no apps installed.As soon as I...
  6. Microsoft store library history

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Microsoft store library history: Is there any way to erase microsoft store library history?The downloads i don't use them any more.And the take to much space.Please Microsoft let the microsoft users the choise to erase them selfs so they don't have to bother to ask...
  7. Microsoft store library history

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft store library history: Is there any way to erase microsoft store library history?The downloads i don't use them any more.And the take to much space.Please Microsoft let the microsoft users the choise to erase them selfs so they don't have to bother to ask...
  8. Microsoft store library history

9. Microsoft Store and Microsoft Store Apps are accessible on User Accounts, but not...

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Microsoft Store and Microsoft Store Apps are accessible on User Accounts, but not...: Hi, I am having trouble with accessing apps I have downloaded from Microsoft on my admin account.First of all, the Microsoft Store app is not listed in apps and features on the admin account and does not appear if you search for it. However, it is available to the other users...
  10. Microsoft Store order history

Microsoft Store order history: so recently I lost the email and password to one of my Roblox accounts and I need to get it back the problem is I need to give Roblox support the order history of my first thing bought and I can't log into the email I bought it with please help me...