Windows 10: Microsoft Surface Laptop 3 doesn't recognize my Seagate external portable hard drive

Discus and support Microsoft Surface Laptop 3 doesn't recognize my Seagate external portable hard drive in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; My device shows up in device manager > disk drives and it says this device is working properly. But I can't seem to locate the folder and my files... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by AA_22YE, May 14, 2020.

1. AA_22YE Win User

Microsoft Surface Laptop 3 doesn't recognize my Seagate external portable hard drive

My device shows up in device manager > disk drives and it says this device is working properly. But I can't seem to locate the folder and my files within? Should it be showing up under this PC > Local Disk C:? Could someone please provide some guide to this. I've tested this hard drive on my mac book pro and it works there. I'm using the Seagate backup plus portable drive 2TB and a USB 3 cable.

Thank you.

:)

AA_22YE, May 14, 2020

2. Hard drive not recognized Windows 10

I recently partitioned a 1 T hard drive on a new PC and now Windows 10 won't recognize a new 2 T Seagate portable hard drive that it recognized before. Is the partition the problem? Is there a way to make W 10 recognize the portable?

Windows 10 and a portable hard drive- Original Title

CurtisKruer, May 14, 2020
  3. Seagate External 2T Hard Drive

Hi Richard

I should point out that I updated from Win 8 to Win 10 some time in September

To answer your questions;

Yes, I used the Seagate drive the previous day

No, the Seagate drive was not connected during the upgrade

The Seagate external hard drive is USB powered

The contents on the external Seagate hard drive are still intact and can been proven on another PC

I have a external WD hard drive which is still recognized post upgrade

Mark

MarkFinlay_995, May 14, 2020
  4. AllyT30 Win User

Microsoft Surface Laptop 3 doesn't recognize my Seagate external portable hard drive

Seagate Expansion Portable External Harddrive not showing up.

So I have the new Microsoft Surface Book and I recently purchased a 1TB External Seagate Expansion Portable Drive to store more files on. However, when I plug it into my computer nothing shows up under My Computer. The blue light on the portable hard drive
    shows up for a minute and I hear the disk whirring but then it stops and the light goes off. I know that the computer recognizes it because I hear the sound when I take it out. I have also tried the Windows + R disk management thing and it says that the external
    harddrive is online. It just won't show up anywhere. Any help is appreciated! Thanks Microsoft Surface Laptop 3 doesn't recognize my Seagate external portable hard drive :)

AllyT30, May 14, 2020
Thema:

1. Microsoft Surface Laptop 3 doesn't recognize my Seagate external portable hard drive - Similar Threads - Microsoft Surface Laptop

2. Laptop updated and Seagate External Portable Hard Drive Not Working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop updated and Seagate External Portable Hard Drive Not Working: My laptop update by itself and now when ever I try to use my seagate external portable hard drive the computer tells me that "D:\ is not accessible, The file or directory is corrupted and unreadabale"...
  3. Laptop updated and Seagate External Portable Hard Drive Not Working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop updated and Seagate External Portable Hard Drive Not Working: My laptop update by itself and now when ever I try to use my seagate external portable hard drive the computer tells me that "D:\ is not accessible, The file or directory is corrupted and unreadabale"...
  4. Seagate FreeAgent External Hard Drive Not Recognized by Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Seagate FreeAgent External Hard Drive Not Recognized by Windows 10?: Seagate FreeAgent External Hard Drive 500GB Not Recognized by Windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/seagate-freeagent-external-hard-drive-not/d09310af-e7b2-4ea4-9b5e-9dae1e1f93ae
  5. Bitlocker not recognizing Seagate external USB hard drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Bitlocker not recognizing Seagate external USB hard drive: I am having no luck in trying to figure out why the Microsoft Windows Bitlocker Drive Encryption app will not recognize a new Seagate external USB hard drive. I have other external drives Toshiba, HP and have had no problems with them. When I bring up the Bitlocker control...
  6. Bitlocker doesn't recognize external hard drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Bitlocker doesn't recognize external hard drive: Recently bought an external hard drive and wanted to use bitlocker go to password protect it. I plugged the hard drive into my laptop through a usb 3.0 connection and it appears in my file explorer just fine. However, when go into "manage bitlocker" it does not appear in the...
  7. Seagate External Hard Drive not working

Seagate External Hard Drive not working: I have been trying for several months to understand why my external drive is not working, there are no drive lights flashing although it is humming. I have checked it all out in Device Manager, etc and it recorded as healthy and running correctly. In frustration I have...
  8. Seagate External Hard drive Decryption

Seagate External Hard drive Decryption: My Seagate Expansion Portable Drive (1 TB) was encrypted in Microsoft Windows 10. When I tried to decrypt it and removed password, Initially, it was removed. but when i plugged it in again in PC, it started asking for password / recovery key. I am using the same key which was...
  9. Laptop doesn't recognize external hard drive

Laptop doesn't recognize external hard drive: I just purchased a new WD MyBook 8TB external hard drive to replace my Seagate 8TB hard drive because it quit working. I see it in Device Manager. I hear it spinning. I have changed USB ports. I have used Windows update. I have connected my older WD 3TB MyBook external hard...
  10. Laptop has recognized my Seagate External drive for 3 days - Not now

Laptop has recognized my Seagate External drive for 3 days - Not now: The Seagate Backup Plus 4TB has all the files I recovered after I got hacked in July. I had made a backup of my primary SATA drive onto a WD Passport Ultra before doing a format of the hacked/infected drive. That WD Passport failed so I had to buy a new exteral drive to...