Windows 10: Microsoft Surface Laptop function keys for brightness and volume won't work - FIXED

Discus and support Microsoft Surface Laptop function keys for brightness and volume won't work - FIXED in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi all, New to the forums but wanted to share this fix as it has frustrated me for many many months that there was no a solution available. My... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by JamesHarwood3, Dec 2, 2018.

1. Microsoft Surface Laptop function keys for brightness and volume won't work - FIXED

Hi all,

New to the forums but wanted to share this fix as it has frustrated me for many many months that there was no a solution available.

My functions keys, for brightness and volume would not work, they would just do random functions like restart the video I was watching or refresh the webpage. I've previously searched the forums and spoken with Microsoft Support but have been unable to find a solution, some being running command prompts, and uninstalling the keyboard drivers. It was at this point I tried something new.

Noticing the Human Interface Drivers above they Keyboard Drivers I found the solution;

1. in the search bar type 'Device Manager' and select it

2. Expand 'Human Interface Devices'

3. Right Click on GPIO Buttons Driver

4. Click 'uninstall device'

5. Restart your device to re-install the driver

The problem should now be solved. (you may have to try using the 'fn' key at first but my device is now fixed using the above method.)

I hope this helps people out, I'd be interested to hear if anyone else has success using this method!

James

:)

JamesHarwood3, Dec 2, 2018

2. laptop function keys won't work

Hey lads.

Me mum is having some problems with her laptop.
    Her function keys won't work for her anymore?

Would anyone have any ideas as to why this has happened?

Irish_PXzyan, Dec 2, 2018
  3. Keyboard Volume Keys not working while in-game

I happen to have used the Tt Challenger Pro keyboard in the past, and the volume keys worked flawlessly in every game, so it's indeed a weird problem. I would suggest the same thing sneekypeet suggested, using the keyboard software and assign this function to a hotkey, but you said that didn't work either, so yeah...

George_o/c, Dec 2, 2018
  4. Parth_27 Win User

Microsoft Surface Laptop function keys for brightness and volume won't work - FIXED

Volume and brightness keys are not working

i have a dell laptop and my volume and brightness keys are not working and they do another thing to the screen

but with fn key it works but please help me....!!

Parth_27, Dec 2, 2018
Thema:

Microsoft Surface Laptop function keys for brightness and volume won't work - FIXED

1. Microsoft Surface Laptop function keys for brightness and volume won't work - FIXED - Similar Threads - Microsoft Surface Laptop

2. Reverse Function Keys to default to volume/brightness adjust

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Reverse Function Keys to default to volume/brightness adjust: I recently bought a Samsung computer with Windows 11.On the top row of the keyboard are the Function keys F1, F2, F12, etc which also double as the brightness adjust, volume adjust, etc.When I press those keys by themselves, it works as the function keys F1, F2, etcHowever,...
  3. Reverse Function Keys to default to volume/brightness adjust

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Reverse Function Keys to default to volume/brightness adjust: I recently bought a Samsung computer with Windows 11.On the top row of the keyboard are the Function keys F1, F2, F12, etc which also double as the brightness adjust, volume adjust, etc.When I press those keys by themselves, it works as the function keys F1, F2, etcHowever,...
  4. Volume Keys, Brightness and other function keys not working Properly - ASUS ROG Laptop -...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Volume Keys, Brightness and other function keys not working Properly - ASUS ROG Laptop -...: With the past 3 WIP buils I'm facing this function keys and volume button issues in my laptop.Initially I felt like waiting for some new buils so that I don't need to report it, but even after 3 builds I'm having this issue hence reporting.Whenever I'm pressing my volume keys...
  5. Volume Keys, Brightness and other function keys not working Properly - ASUS ROG Laptop -...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Volume Keys, Brightness and other function keys not working Properly - ASUS ROG Laptop -...: With the past 3 WIP buils I'm facing this function keys and volume button issues in my laptop.Initially I felt like waiting for some new buils so that I don't need to report it, but even after 3 builds I'm having this issue hence reporting.Whenever I'm pressing my volume keys...
  6. Volume and Brightness keys not working

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Volume and Brightness keys not working: I just recently got this laptop around the Holidays. I noticed a few problems with this laptop, my brightness and volume F-keys weren't working, my screen kept on exiting out to home screen, and my cursor wasn't working at times. Then, I restarted my laptop and everything...
  7. Volume and brightness keys not working

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Volume and brightness keys not working: Hi, I hope someone can help. I've only recently noticed that my sound and brightness keys/buttons don't work as they should, regardless of whether or not the function button is pressed. I am using Windows 10 Home on my very basic Lenovo laptop which is roughly 1-2 years...
  8. My function keys are not working for the volume and the brightness level.

in Windows 10 Customization
    My function keys are not working for the volume and the brightness level.: My function keys are not working for some reason. I usually use the volume function keys and the brightness level function keys, F3 F4 F6 F7 but none of them are working. I had this problem before, and when I asked for help I found out its because of the update. I updated...
  9. WiFi, Brightness and Volume won't work

in Windows 10 Customization
    WiFi, Brightness and Volume won't work: I can't seem to use function button on volume and brightness. Audio functions don't work and the system won't let me adjust the brightness on screen as well. There's no WiFi icon displayed on the bottom part of the screen and whenever I open the settings, there's no setting...
  10. Brightness Function Keys Not Working

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Brightness Function Keys Not Working: After updating my laptop to the April 2018 update, I lost several functions to my funtion keys, which includes Ambient light, Battery settings, Project settings, Muting microphone, and most importantly the Brightness settings. How do I fix this so I can use my function keys...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. surface laptop volume buttons not working

2. surface pro brightness keys not working

3. volumr buttons on surface not working

4. brightness buttons not working surface,
  5. why dont my volume buttons work microsoft surface laptop,
  6. microsoft surface brightness wont go down,
  7. surface pro 4 f1 dim button not working,
  8. microsoft surface brightness keys,
  9. surface brightness setting function key,
  10. microsoft surface book brightness wont work,
  11. surface brightness keys not working,