Windows 10: Microsoft Surface Pro 2 blue screen upon boot

Discus and support Microsoft Surface Pro 2 blue screen upon boot in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I think my Surface Pro 2 got an upgrade. It has never given me the slightest problem on start up. A few days ago, it came up to a "blue screen"... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by RTJJR, Oct 22, 2019.

1. RTJJR Win User

Microsoft Surface Pro 2 blue screen upon boot

I think my Surface Pro 2 got an upgrade. It has never given me the slightest problem on start up.

A few days ago, it came up to a "blue screen" indicating it detected no boot sector or words to that effect. I prepared a recovery USB (FAT32) from my laptop and prepared to recover my Surface, but have had no success.

I removed the microSD card, inserted my USB recovery drive and did a Volume-UP power on. This launched me into the EEFI, where I disabled the TPM and Secure Boot (per instructions I found online) and then saved the changes.

On reboot, I did a Volume-DOWN power on. The subsequent reboot comes up with a red background and the Surface name on a black background, as described. However, there was no new option. There is not a "recovery" blue screen like on my laptop, or a boot sequence menu to allow me to use my USB, nothing.

I have tried a USB DVD with a bootable disk. Nothing. I tried every combination of enabling/disabling TPM and Secure Boot. Nothing.

Nothing except the blue screen saying it has no bootable device.

Is there a trick to getting to the USB boot menu? or the blue "recovery" menu?

Thanks.

:)

RTJJR, Oct 22, 2019

2. Surface Pro 2 will not boot when connected to Surface Dock

I have a Surface Pro 2 which had been running Windows 10 Education and using the Surface Dock. After the most recent round of Windows Updates, the Surface Pro 2 will not boot when mounted on the Surface Dock. It will try to boot and eventually Blue Screen.
    After the second Blue Screen, it will try to repair itself - eventually it will report that it cannot load Windows. Removing it from the dock restores it to normal behavior. If you boot it first, it works in the dock but it overheats. Please advise.

Marc_Wagner, Oct 22, 2019
  3. Brink Win User
    Boot Surface Laptop to USB - no Volume button

Hello Jimmy, Microsoft Surface Pro 2 blue screen upon boot :)

This doesn't list the "Surface Laptop", but you might give it a try to see.

*Arrow Boot Microsoft Surface from a USB device

Otherwise, you should be able to use OPTION ONE below to boot from the USB from advanced startup.

*Arrow Boot from USB Drive on Windows 10 PC Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials

Brink, Oct 22, 2019
  4. Microsoft Surface Pro 2 blue screen upon boot

Problem updating Windows Surface Pro 4 with Windows 10 feature updates

Hi,

I have manage to install image for Microsoft Surface Pro 4 by going to https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...erecoveryimage and download a recovery image for Microsoft Surface Pro 4.

What I did to reset your Surface from a USB recovery drive was:
    Step 1: Make sure your Surface is turned off and plugged in (hold down the power
    button for 30 seconds).
    Step 2: Insert the USB recovery drive into the USB port on your Surface.
    Step 3: Press and hold the volume-down button while you press and release the
    power button on your Surface.
    Step 4: When the Surface logo appears, release the volume button.
    Step 5: When prompted, select the language and keyboard layout you want.
    Step 6: Select Troubleshoot > Reset your PC.
    If prompted for a recovery key, select Skip this drive at the bottom of the
    screen.
    Step 7: Select the target operating system you wish to reset. This
    refers to the current operating system installed on your Surface.
    Step 8: Select Yes, repartition the drives, and on the next page, select Next.
    Step 9: Choose Just remove my files.
    Step 10: Select Reset.
    Surface restarts and the Surface logo displays while the reset process continues
    (this can take a while).

This always fails and I have to do the below which continues installation.
    Windows 10 Installation Media:

1. Insert the Media (DVD/USB) in your PC and restart.
    2. Boot from the media.
    3. Select Repair Your Computer.
    Select Troubleshoot.

1. Choose Command Prompt from the menu:
    Type in the command:
    Diskpart
    Type in the command:
    List disk (Note which disk is your Boot drive number mine is 0)
    Type in the command:
    Sel disk 0
    Type in the command:
    List vol (Note which volume is the EFI partition mine is 4)
    Type in the command:
    Sel vol 4
    Type in the command:
    assign letter=V:
    Type in the command:
    Exit
    Type in the command:
    V:
    After you have assigned a drive letter Using Diskpart You can format the EFI partition:
    Example: if you assigned a letter V to the partition the command would be:
    format V: /FS:FAT32
    Type in the command:
    bcdboot C:\windows /s V: /f UEFI

Now I have an issue that I cannot install Feature Updates. They keep failing to install.
    Any ideas how to resolve issue?

jaburmester, Oct 22, 2019
Thema:

Microsoft Surface Pro 2 blue screen upon boot

1. Microsoft Surface Pro 2 blue screen upon boot - Similar Threads - Microsoft Surface Pro

2. Win11 Installation Media blue screens upon boot

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win11 Installation Media blue screens upon boot: I downloaded the file from here: Download Windows 11. I launched the ISO in virtualbox. I've attached the BSOD screenshot. I am running the latest version of virtualbox....
  3. Win11 Installation Media blue screens upon boot

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win11 Installation Media blue screens upon boot: I downloaded the file from here: Download Windows 11. I launched the ISO in virtualbox. I've attached the BSOD screenshot. I am running the latest version of virtualbox....
  4. Blue screen on my Surface Pro 7

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Blue screen on my Surface Pro 7: Hi, I just had a blue screen on my Microsoft surface pro 7. I've experienced blue screen twice after upgrading to windows 11. And my laptop gets laggy sometimes.I was wondering if there's any way to check what's wrong with my laptop?Please help me with this issue.Thank you....
  5. Blue screen on my Surface Pro 7

Blue screen on my Surface Pro 7: Hi, I just had a blue screen on my Microsoft surface pro 7. I've experienced blue screen twice after upgrading to windows 11. And my laptop gets laggy sometimes.I was wondering if there's any way to check what's wrong with my laptop?Please help me with this issue.Thank you....
  6. Surface Book 2 15 blue screen crash and subsequent boot loop

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Surface Book 2 15 blue screen crash and subsequent boot loop: Hi community, Yesterday, my surface suddenly showed blue screen and ever since trying to boot but never was successful. I have tried everything a person with decent knowledge of tinkering with windows since 2004 can do. Not bragging but hating myself for coming back to...
  7. Surface Pro stuck on boot screen

Surface Pro stuck on boot screen: Hi all I've looked on every forum and contacted Microsoft Customer Service. All provided the same steps for my issue. I was using my computer just 3 hours ago at school. Class ended, i locked my compute, put it in my backpack, 20 minutes later I'm in my next class. I open...
  8. Surface Pro 2

Surface Pro 2: Just bought a second hand Surface Pro 2 which replaces my pathetic acer aspire. (from a electronic buy sell store) and its brilliant. Pen and keyboard inclusive. 2 year warranty Q: Pen and touch is active but what software do I need to 'write' on the screen. I have looked at...
  9. Surface Book 2 15" Blue Screen

Surface Book 2 15" Blue Screen: Recently got a blue screen, it restarted, then got another after using it for about 15 minutes. It has been over an hour and it has not happened again. I was off guard when it happened so I did not get the error code. I looked at the event viewer and the critical errors were...
  10. Surface Book 2 Bluetooth Blue Screen

Surface Book 2 Bluetooth Blue Screen: Hi! I've had an issue sometimes where if I try to pair my Samsung Gear IconX (2018) earbuds to my Surface Book 2 (13.5, i7, 8GB Ram, 256GB SSD) via Bluetooth and turn the Bluetooth on the laptop on and off, the computer Blue Screen's and gives me a...