Windows 10: Microsoft Surface Pro 4 - Keyboard disconnected, non-responsive

Discus and support Microsoft Surface Pro 4 - Keyboard disconnected, non-responsive in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; After a recent Windows 10 Update, my keyboard cover stopped working. No connection, no lights, no response of any kind. The device manager says it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by JGreg7, Oct 15, 2019.

1. JGreg7 Win User

Microsoft Surface Pro 4 - Keyboard disconnected, non-responsive

After a recent Windows 10 Update, my keyboard cover stopped working. No connection, no lights, no response of any kind.

The device manager says it is working properly

• I tried my cover on another Microsoft Surface Pro 4 and it works.
    • I tried a working cover from another Microsoft Surface Pro 4 and it also does not respond.
    • I have uninstalled and updated the drivers several times both the keyboard and blue tooth (separately and together).
    • In device manager, I have removed all keyboard devices and restarted the computer.
    • I found a troubleshooting link: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4023473/surface-troubleshoot-your-type-cover-or-keyboard- I have tried everything on the list except for re-imaging the computer.
    • An external keyboard with docking station works properly, just not the keyboard cover.
    • An external USB keyboard also works properly, just not the keyboard cover.

In all cases, the Windows system says the keyboard is detected and working properly, however it does nothing. Dead.

Nothing works.

Any idea how to fix this?

Windows 10 Pro, Version 1903, OS Build 18362.418

:)

JGreg7, Oct 15, 2019

2. Problem updating Windows Surface Pro 4 with Windows 10 feature updates

Hi,

I have manage to install image for Microsoft Surface Pro 4 by going to https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...erecoveryimage and download a recovery image for Microsoft Surface Pro 4.

What I did to reset your Surface from a USB recovery drive was:
    Step 1: Make sure your Surface is turned off and plugged in (hold down the power
    button for 30 seconds).
    Step 2: Insert the USB recovery drive into the USB port on your Surface.
    Step 3: Press and hold the volume-down button while you press and release the
    power button on your Surface.
    Step 4: When the Surface logo appears, release the volume button.
    Step 5: When prompted, select the language and keyboard layout you want.
    Step 6: Select Troubleshoot > Reset your PC.
    If prompted for a recovery key, select Skip this drive at the bottom of the
    screen.
    Step 7: Select the target operating system you wish to reset. This
    refers to the current operating system installed on your Surface.
    Step 8: Select Yes, repartition the drives, and on the next page, select Next.
    Step 9: Choose Just remove my files.
    Step 10: Select Reset.
    Surface restarts and the Surface logo displays while the reset process continues
    (this can take a while).

This always fails and I have to do the below which continues installation.
    Windows 10 Installation Media:

1. Insert the Media (DVD/USB) in your PC and restart.
    2. Boot from the media.
    3. Select Repair Your Computer.
    Select Troubleshoot.

1. Choose Command Prompt from the menu:
    Type in the command:
    Diskpart
    Type in the command:
    List disk (Note which disk is your Boot drive number mine is 0)
    Type in the command:
    Sel disk 0
    Type in the command:
    List vol (Note which volume is the EFI partition mine is 4)
    Type in the command:
    Sel vol 4
    Type in the command:
    assign letter=V:
    Type in the command:
    Exit
    Type in the command:
    V:
    After you have assigned a drive letter Using Diskpart You can format the EFI partition:
    Example: if you assigned a letter V to the partition the command would be:
    format V: /FS:FAT32
    Type in the command:
    bcdboot C:\windows /s V: /f UEFI

Now I have an issue that I cannot install Feature Updates. They keep failing to install.
    Any ideas how to resolve issue?

jaburmester, Oct 15, 2019
  3. What is the best power supply for Microsoft Surface Pro 4

I am wondering what is the best power supply to purchase for Microsoft Surface Pro 4 to carry around in case I need to recharge it.

The power supply that came with Microsoft Surface Pro 4 will be staying at home.

Thank you for all suggestions.

jaburmester, Oct 15, 2019
  4. Microsoft Surface Pro 4 - Keyboard disconnected, non-responsive

Fingerprint reader missing from log-in screen on Surface Pro 4

Hi Van,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

I understand your concern about fingerprint reader on the your device, do le us know the following to assist you better with this issue:

• Have you made any changes to the device(Hardware/ Software) prior to this issue?
    • Have you connected any other external devices to your Surface Pro 4?
    • Are you using PIN on the logon screen to log-in to your device?

I suggest you to refer to the below post and check if your issue matches with the same. If so, try the troubleshooting steps mentioned by
    RobertBrindle on November 10, 2015 and check if it helps to resolve the issue.

Surface Pro 3 with Surface Pro 4 Keyboard with Fingerprint Reader

Hope it helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of this issue, we will be happy to help you.

Deepika Gowda, Oct 15, 2019
Thema:

Microsoft Surface Pro 4 - Keyboard disconnected, non-responsive

1. Microsoft Surface Pro 4 - Keyboard disconnected, non-responsive - Similar Threads - Microsoft Surface Pro

2. Non-responsive touchscreen keyboard

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Non-responsive touchscreen keyboard: Hi,I'm running Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC v1809 on a touchscreen PC.This PC came with a piece of equipment my company purchased, and when it was installed, the touchscreen keyboard worked fine; it popped up when you entered a text input field, or when you pressed the button...
  3. Non-responsive touchscreen keyboard

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Non-responsive touchscreen keyboard: Hi,I'm running Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC v1809 on a touchscreen PC.This PC came with a piece of equipment my company purchased, and when it was installed, the touchscreen keyboard worked fine; it popped up when you entered a text input field, or when you pressed the button...
  4. Non-responsive touchscreen keyboard

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Surface Pro 4 keyboard and mouse

Surface Pro 4 keyboard and mouse: Because my keyboard touch pad was not responding I purchased a bluetooth mouse. When the mouse is connected my sound quits working. When I turn off the bluetooth to unpair the mouse the sound comes back. I made sure there were no updates that I needed to install. Can anyone...
  6. Microsoft Surface Pro 4

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Microsoft Surface Pro 4: I have a Surface Pro 4, that got screwed up during a windows update. Now the device can no longer see the internal hard drive. I have tried the usual things. Like using Diskpart etc, the device can no longer see the internal hard drive. I believe this to be a known issue. Has...
  7. surface pro keyboard and Microsoft wireless Bluetooth keyboard not working with surface pro 4

surface pro keyboard and Microsoft wireless Bluetooth keyboard not working with surface pro 4: I am having trouble with both of my keyboards the tablet cover and the wireless. I bought a new tablet cover thinking it was the old one and that did not work either. Then I connected it to the docking station where I use the Microsoft wireless keyboard and that is not...
  8. Microsoft Surface Pro 4 - Keyboard disconnected, non-responsive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Microsoft Surface Pro 4 - Keyboard disconnected, non-responsive: (Re-posted from "Devices & Drivers" since there was no response there) After a recent Windows 10 Update, my keyboard cover stopped working. No connection, no lights, no response of any kind. The device manager says it is working properly. I cannot tell which update caused...
  9. Connecting keyboard to surface 4 pro

Connecting keyboard to surface 4 pro: I cannot get my keyboard to connect anymore to my surface pro 4. I re-set to default but this didn't help either https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/connecting-keyboard-to-surface-4-pro/b51b8035-a4b2-4f33-9640-17bf07822dc9
  10. Surface Pro 4 Keyboard malfunction

Surface Pro 4 Keyboard malfunction: My Surface Pro Keyboard Cover is behaving badly. When I boot the computer, it randomly sends strings of characters to the computer. Usually it does this at the login screen, producing an incorrect password before I can even input the correct one. I have been able to log in...