Windows 10: Microsoft surprise

Discus and support Microsoft surprise in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I had an old laptop that came with Vista, got upgraded to 7 and then 10, all Home versions. A friend who works in IT gave me a fully legal and unused... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by larc919, Dec 26, 2020.

1. larc919 Win User

Microsoft surprise

I had an old laptop that came with Vista, got upgraded to 7 and then 10, all Home versions. A friend who works in IT gave me a fully legal and unused 8.1 Pro retail key he had no need for. It upgraded the old laptop to Windows 10 Pro. But that antique got so slow that it became a problem, so I got a new laptop with 10 Home to replace it. I expected the 8.1 Pro key would work on it, but thought I would at least have to resort to Activation Troubleshooter or maybe even a phone call to Microsoft to explain this was a replacement. But nothing. The laptop smoothly upgraded to Pro and was activated just as if the key had never been used before. Is Microsoft slipping or don't they keep track of used keys after a period of time?

:)

larc919, Dec 26, 2020

2. Edge Search Does Not Permit Change of Region

I got these suggestions from the Microsoft Community forum.No. 1 worked for me:

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community. I am glad to assist you on this.
    We have reproduce the issue here and we are able to access non-regional search for google using Microsoft Edge.
    I would suggest you to try the below steps and check if it helps.
    Step 1:
    Clear browsing data option of Microsoft Edge and check if you face the issue. To do so perform the steps below.

1. Click on the More actions icon next to the feedback icon present on top right corner of the Project Spartan homepage.
    2. Select Settings and click on Choose what to clear.
    3. Check the boxes Browsing history, Cookies and saved website data and Cached data and files and click on Clear.
    Step 2:
    I suggest you to create a new user account and check if the issue occurs.

1. Go to Settings.
    2. Choose Accounts and then select Family and other users.
    3. Select add someone else on this PC.
    4. Enter a user name and hit next.
    5. Click on Finish.
    6. Sign out from the current Account and Log into the new account.
    Step 3:
    It could also happen because of network issue. I suggest you to try with different network connection and check if it helps.

hurricane51, Dec 26, 2020
  3. curatia Win User
    Microsoft Edge TLS Security

After trying everything (not a lot of steps) listed in the Microsoft Edge support site, I did a wider search and found this very simple youtube video that fixed it immediately:

For those who prefer not to click links the steps are simple:

1. Click in the Cortana search bar next to the Win 10 Start button

2. Type internet options

3. Select internet options (control panel) from the list

4. Click on the advanced tab

5. Scroll down to the security section

6. Make sure the following are all clicked:
    Use SSL 3.0
    Use TLS 1.0
    Use TLS 1.1
    Use TLS 1.2

7. Click apply

8. Refresh the page that was giving the error and it should now connect.

Hope this helps, it was a 30 second fix after hours of pounding my head against the error with the Support site suggestions.

curatia, Dec 26, 2020
  4. Microsoft surprise

Not Surprising

Not surprising, as most desktops (worldwide) are running W7.

Also MS' has behaviour has guaranteed this outcome:

• The GWX fiascos encouraged lots of users to disable Windows Update
    • To make sure WU wasn't turned back on MS switched to cumulative updates
    • For additional insurance they made sure that everyone knew cumulative updates contained modified telemetry

lehnerus2000, Dec 26, 2020
Thema:

Microsoft surprise

1. Microsoft surprise - Similar Threads - Microsoft surprise

2. Intel: Microsoft AI PCs need a Copilot Key

in Windows 10 News
    Intel: Microsoft AI PCs need a Copilot Key: Microsoft hopes that 2024 will be the year that so-called AI PCs will take off. Tidbits and rumors about this new breed of PCs are found everywhere, but Microsoft itself has been tight lipped when it comes to requirements. Intel has now published Microsoft's requirements for...
  3. Microsoft’s Windows 10X makes a surprise appearance online

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft’s Windows 10X makes a surprise appearance online: Microsoft unveiled the dual-screen optimized version of Windows 10X in October 2019 and it’s reportedly coming to single-screen devices in the first half of 2021. Microsoft has now accidentally published a Chromium Microsoft Edge download page where “Windows 10X” and...
  4. Microsoft flight sim Surprise gift?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft flight sim Surprise gift?: Hello, this is my first post in the community, I wanted to know, I have seen some people get the microsoft flight sim and all it's controls like yoke, throttle and rudders for free as a surprise by microsoft.. how? Can I get one too?...
  5. Microsoft extends Exchange Server 2010 End of Support with a surprising remark

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft extends Exchange Server 2010 End of Support with a surprising remark: Microsoft announced today that it will extend end of support for Exchange Server 2010 to October 13, 2010. Exchange Server 2010 support was about to run out on January 14, 2020 initially but Microsoft decided to extend support until October 13, 2020 of the same year....
  6. Microsoft rolls out surprise Windows 10 patch to fix broken microphones

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft rolls out surprise Windows 10 patch to fix broken microphones: Microsoft recently released a cumulative update for Windows 10 version 1903 on Tuesday with a fix for an issue causing Cortana process to consume more than 30-40% of CPU. When the patch was released on Tuesday, the firm said it wasn’t aware of any known issues, but Microsoft...
  7. Surprise, Microsoft changed Windows Update behavior for the better in Windows 10 1903

in Windows 10 News
    Surprise, Microsoft changed Windows Update behavior for the better in Windows 10 1903: Since the release of Microsoft's Windows 10 operating system in 2015, updating and patching was at the heart of criticism that administrators and power users leveled at Microsoft. It was not the only argument brought forth against Windows 10, Telemetry being another, but it...
  8. Microsoft will surprise in 2015

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft will surprise in 2015: As the company seeks new ways to grow, it is likely to explore things once unthinkable for it. You may have noticed that I take a rather cynical view of Microsoft. But I think I am able to recognize when it does good things. As a matter of fact, I think the company made...
  9. Microsoft releases new license terms for Windows 10: Biggest surprise?

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft releases new license terms for Windows 10: Biggest surprise?: You can put your tinfoil hats away now. Two weeks ahead of the global launch of Windows 10, Microsoft has finalized the terms of its license agreements for the new operating system. I've had several days to study the documents in detail, and I can report that there are no...
  10. Microsoft surprise 4-5 May

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft surprise 4-5 May: according to a tweet from Wzor Tweet — Twitter API (@user) date