Windows 10: Microsoft talks up 'next version of Windows'

Discus and support Microsoft talks up 'next version of Windows' in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Microsoft's Tony Prophet took a moment Wednesday to expand on a key feature in the next version of Windows at a Microsoft conference. Prophet,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by labeeman, Jul 16, 2014.

1. labeeman Win User

Microsoft talks up 'next version of Windows'

More

labeeman, Jul 16, 2014
  2. LEE
    Lee Win User

Just have to love that MS is saying nothing definitive. . .*Wink

:)

3. Microsoft shows next version of Windows Mobile behind closed doors

Don't ask .... what I saw was under NDA (non-disclosure agreement) and Linley is under the same NDA. We have to respect that obligation.

What I can say is that there has been an immense amount of time spent on it and I expect that it will please a lot of folks.

Jack Cook - aka Help_Line, Jul 16, 2014
  4. Ricksvill Win User

Microsoft shows next version of Windows Mobile behind closed doors

No problem mate...

I look forward to it.

Ricksvill, Jul 16, 2014
  5. Hi Loni Lee...lol Microsoft talks up 'next version of Windows' :p. But I think Threshold plans will go through a couple of BIG changes before translating into a shipping product (I know that sounds like I'm being "Mr Obvious Guy", but I really don't think Microsoft knows for absolute sure what they want to roll out)

Jody Thornton, Jul 17, 2014
  6. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there.

You don't have to be a "Prophet" to say that Ms is working hard on the next version of Windows -- I'd be worried - especially if I were either a direct or indirect (via unit trusts etc) stockholder of Ms if they WEREN'T in spite of them saying they are going to "de-emphasize" windows in the future --in plain English try and generate other revenue streams rather than be too reliant on Windows.

Sometimes these CEO's etc of large corporations should either say something SENSIBLE or just keep their mouths tightly closed.

With a name like Prophet at least he could have given something of a more enlightening statement than just quote the "Bleedin' Obvious".

@Jodi Thornton -- If Ms don't know at this stage what they want to roll out then I suggest firing the TOP guys - they obviously know what they DON'T want -- as ex Nokia employees are finding out to their cost - although as a large corporation Ms isn't generally known as a ruthless employer -- making an Android device was a BIG mistake though and it seems it's always the Little guys who carry the can not those at the top who even if they do move on get paid huge bonuses etc.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jul 17, 2014
  7. Oh see, I never caught that. Did Microsoft rollout a Nokia phone with Android instead of Windows Phone OS?

Jody Thornton, Jul 18, 2014
  8. A Guy Win User

A Guy, Jul 18, 2014
  9. OK so more of an amalgamation move. I get it now.
    *Smile

Jody Thornton, Jul 18, 2014
  10. Trust_No1 Win User
    They should forget about further Windows versions and start selling subscriptions for future support and updates to current versions. Instead of dumping XP sell subscription support, as an example.

I believe the only reason they keep with Metro is to generate revenue from apps, apps are pure profit makers for them, even the crummy ones.

Trust_No1, Jul 20, 2014
  11. XP is history, time to get over it and move on. Even if they offered paid support many people wouldn't pay for it and end up running unpatched systems. Hello bot net. You'd also get the "but I already paid for it, now you want even more money" cries. I just don't see subscription support working for the consumer side. Microsoft generates revenue by selling newer versions of its software, that's the way it works. Adding newer features to older versions is a lot harder than just building them into a new version. Selling extended support is a novel idea but I just don't see Microsoft doing it any time soon for any of their retired operating systems. In a way you may actually get what you want though, if a Windows 365 comes about. If they release a purely subscription based version of Windows you would just keep renewing it to get further updates. How long they let you keep doing that before being required to update to a newer version who knows. All I can say is, be careful what you ask for.

alphanumeric, Jul 20, 2014
  12. Tepid Win User
    Actually, the whole Subscription thing will happen.
    Look at Office 365. for Home users.
    Full blown Office 2013 Plus. All of it. for $99 a year.
    You also get 1TB per person of OneDrive space.
    You also get 10 licenses 5 Tablet and 5 PC or Mac
    and if you use Skype, you get 60min a month.

That in of itself is a killer deal. Who has just one or 2 devices these days in a family. Not many.
    So the cost is well worth it.

Now move that to a Unified Windows OS.
    Desktop, Tablets, Laptops, (separate licensing for Phone and xBox)
    $99 a year for 7 licenses per family. would be a hell of a deal on it's own.
    1 for Desktop, the rest for Tablets and Laptops.
    and MS would still be making money on devices, Phone, Tablets, xBox.

No the Desktop is not dead. People are just enamored with Tablets and Phablets right now.
    You still need a real desktop to do some things more comfortably at home. So most will still have one.
    But, that compliments all the other devices nicely.
    I have 1x Laptop, 2 x Desktops, 2 x Surface Pro, 2 x Nokia Lumia Icons
    Anything I do on one I can pretty much do on the others.
    Files are easily transferred via OneDrive.

I would say no to a purely cloud OS, but how it is done with Office 365 would not be an issue.

In the long run, MS will make more money.

Then start throwing in Azure Apps with synch across all devices, which is coming.

Tepid, Jul 20, 2014
  13. Microsoft talks up 'next version of Windows'

Just to clarify what I was thinking. I can see Microsoft offering a subscription based OS. Windows 9 maybe? I just don't see them offering up paid support for their older operating systems like Windows 7 etc. And especially not for retired operating systems like XP.

alphanumeric, Jul 20, 2014
  14. Tepid Win User
    Correct. XP is dead and 7 is already old.
    I don't think we will see subscription with 9.
    People will have to be lulled into it.
    there will be backlash on a grand scale like there is with Win8.1.
    Even though, many people who are getting 8.1 are liking 8.1 and realizing they were boonswaggled by the
    psuedo-techjurnos, a know-nothing bloggers.

Tepid, Jul 20, 2014
  15. Trust_No1 Win User
    My point is/was that I
    In the Windows world, 25% are still using XP (I don't think they would call it history), and 56% are using Windows 7, 9% Vista and 8% use Windows 8.

My point was, instead of throwing them under the wheel, why not offer them an alternative. I know several people who still use XP (lord knows I have tried to get them to switch), and several businesses that still run XP. They will probably continue to use it for the next 15 to 20 years, so why not try to cash in on it, Microsoft wins and the consumer wins. Windows 7 will be harder to dispose of than XP, or maybe even the ever so "popular" Windows 8. People use what they are familiar with and like, so let them use it and offer a paid support (for a reasonable cost).

Trust_No1, Jul 21, 2014
Thema:

1. Microsoft talks up 'next version of Windows' - Similar Threads - Microsoft talks 'next

2. Windows 10 next version after 21h2

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 next version after 21h2: Hello All,Have few questions as below. From Microsoft is there any latest version release after windows 10 21h2 as currently i am not able to see any further version release on windows 10. Is window 10 will be upgraded to 11 after 21h2 or there is any new version is coming....
  3. Windows 10 next version after 21h2

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 next version after 21h2: Hello All,Have few questions as below. From Microsoft is there any latest version release after windows 10 21h2 as currently i am not able to see any further version release on windows 10. Is window 10 will be upgraded to 11 after 21h2 or there is any new version is coming....
  4. Windows 10 next version after 21h2

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows 11 leak gives us a glimpse of Microsoft's next version of Windows

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 11 leak gives us a glimpse of Microsoft's next version of Windows: Microsoft plans to reveal the future of Windows next week. A leaked ISO of Microsoft's new operating system, called Windows 11, provides us with a glimpse of what users can expect from the new operating system. The leak confirms that Microsoft's next version of Windows will...
  6. Next up

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Next up: Windows update is offering driver updates as Optional Download is there a way to delete them or hide them? The camera driver causes a Blue screen reboot when used & the other for the sensor is an incompatible .sys file!...
  7. Microsoft Not Talking to Customers

in Windows 10 Customization
    Microsoft Not Talking to Customers: For the past year, I have tried to call Microsoft Tech Support to change my cell phone number. We relocated out of California. But no one answers the phone. They will not let me change my cell number online. In February, I sent a letter to Microsoft Tech Support in...
  8. Windows 10 version 2004 is the next update, arriving next year

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 version 2004 is the next update, arriving next year: Microsoft recently shipped Windows 10 November 2019 Update and the company is now preparing the next version for consumers. Microsoft says that they’re gearing up to finalize the next update codenamed ’20H1′, and the company is also preparing 20H2 for testers. Microsoft has...
  9. The next version of Microsoft Edge: Enterprise evaluation and roadmap

in Windows 10 News
    The next version of Microsoft Edge: Enterprise evaluation and roadmap: This week at the Microsoft Inspire 2019 conference, we are sharing an update on capabilities that we are investing in to make the next version of Microsoft Edge the best browser for enterprises and business customers of all sizes. The Dev Channel now has enterprise features...
  10. When will the next version of windows be ready to use?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    When will the next version of windows be ready to use?: Hello, I recently had support and was told that insider previews arn't that stable, and I would like to know what would be the estimated time of insider updates to be ready to use. The recent update is not ready because the update is not compatible with many drivers. If I...