Windows 10: Microsoft testing error badge in Windows 10 to promote Microsoft accounts

Discus and support Microsoft testing error badge in Windows 10 to promote Microsoft accounts in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Microsoft is testing a change in one of the latest Windows 11 Developer builds; it is displaying an error badge on the user's account profile image if... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Apr 5, 2023.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

Microsoft testing error badge in Windows 10 to promote Microsoft accounts

Microsoft is testing a change in one of the latest Windows 11 Developer builds; it is displaying an error badge on the user's account profile image if a local account is being used.

First discovered by Albacore, it appeared in Developer build 23419, which Microsoft released in late March 2022. Microsoft did not reveal that change in the changelog on the official website.

The screenshot shows an error badge on the profile icon in the Start Menu. A click on the icon displays the following message, or order: "Sign in to your Microsoft account. You'll be able to back up your device and keep it more secure".

Microsoft has been testing promotional messages in the very same spot. All previous promotions, some would call them advertisements, were displayed to users signed in with a Microsoft account on the device.

Microsoft testing error badge in Windows 10 to promote Microsoft accounts windows-11-local-account-error-badge-scaled.jpg

Windows 11 users have two options to sign-in to the device: use a Microsoft account or a local account. Microsoft has been pushing hard to get customers to use Microsoft Accounts and not local accounts. It started to hide the local option for many users during initial setup, but there are workarounds to create local accounts during Windows 11 setup.

The profile icon, displayed when the Start Menu opens, lists options to switch to another account, sign-out of the current account, lock the screen, or open the account settings.

Previous Start Menu promotions, those that targeted Microsoft Account users, displayed an exclamation mark badge on the profile icon. All advertised Microsoft's OneDrive service. OneDrive is free to use, but Microsoft is earning money through commercial plans that increase storage and add other tools and features for subscribers.

The local account badge makes it appear as if there is a major issue with the account or the operating system. Users who click on the profile icon to find out more about that issue, get an advertisement for Microsoft accounts and also OneDrive, which is probably not what they expect.

To Microsoft's credit, it is testing these changes in developer builds of the operating system. Whether these will make it into stable builds is up for debate. Microsoft is apparently working on a setting to block these new promotions from being displayed.

Instead of using an already existing setting, Microsoft appears to have cooked up a new preference, but it is not yet integrated into the Developer builds of Windows 11.

Closing Words

The new profile icon badges for local and Microsoft account users advertise OneDrive. Microsoft has not revealed its intention, but getting more users to use a Microsoft account and OneDrive, for backups, may certainly get more customers to pay for extra storage.

Deceptive promotions like these should not find their way into an operating system, but only time will tell if this one will find its way into stable builds of Windows 11.

Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post Microsoft testing error badge in Windows 10 to promote Microsoft accounts appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, Apr 5, 2023

2. Microsoft Selects Dolby Audio for Windows 10

it would've been great if microsoft added HEVC decoders, LAV filters along with other codecs with Windows 10, and developing WMP to be better than VLC, KMPlayer and such sorts of media players.

Nevertheless, this is good step for microsoft, by far.

Analog_Interface, Apr 5, 2023
  3. Scrizz Win User
    Windows 10

you don't have to use a Microsoft account....
    I know I'm not.

Scrizz, Apr 5, 2023
  4. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

As you may already know, Windows 10 (as well as Windows 8) allow you to log in with a valid Microsoft account, instead of creating a local account that only works on your machine. However, you may prefer to keep a local account for privacy reasons. If you do, though, some Windows 10 features—like Cortana—may not work. Despite the default behavior, the Windows 10 Store is not one of them. You can still log in to your Microsoft account for just the Store without switching to a full Microsoft account. The process, however, is not terribly obvious. To do so, follow these steps:

• Launch the Store from your Start menu.
    • Click the user icon next to the search box.
    • Click “Sign-in” from the menu that appears.
    • Choose “Microsoft account” and log in like normal.
    • When the “Make it yours” box appears do not enter your password. Instead, click “Sign in to just this app instead.”
    from Lifehacker

Ahhzz, Apr 5, 2023
Thema:

1. Microsoft testing error badge in Windows 10 to promote Microsoft accounts - Similar Threads - Microsoft testing error

2. How to STOP Microsoft promotional e-mails?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to STOP Microsoft promotional e-mails?: I hit unsubscribe in my Microsoft account but the e-mails keep coming via *** Email address is removed for privacy ***? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-stop-microsoft-promotional-e-mails/9159c87b-337e-4a73-95f4-ba34ff2e9429
  3. How to STOP Microsoft promotional e-mails?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to STOP Microsoft promotional e-mails?: I hit unsubscribe in my Microsoft account but the e-mails keep coming via *** Email address is removed for privacy ***? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-stop-microsoft-promotional-e-mails/9159c87b-337e-4a73-95f4-ba34ff2e9429
  4. Microsoft Certification badge assignment issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft Certification badge assignment issue: Hoping someone can advise.Somehow I have ended up with two Microsoft accounts. All my certifications are in MS learn under certifications except two that I have recently taken. The MS account @gmail.com I only use for MSDN, Azure testing and for my certifications as tied to...
  5. Microsoft Certification badge assignment issue

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microsoft Certification badge assignment issue: Hoping someone can advise.Somehow I have ended up with two Microsoft accounts. All my certifications are in MS learn under certifications except two that I have recently taken. The MS account @gmail.com I only use for MSDN, Azure testing and for my certifications as tied to...
  6. Microsoft promotes subscription management to top of Accounts page on Windows 11

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft promotes subscription management to top of Accounts page on Windows 11: Microsoft released a new Insider build of Windows 11 this week that makes several key changes to the operating system. One of these changes promotes subscription management regarding Microsoft 365 services to the top of the Accounts page. [IMG] When you open the Accounts...
  7. Microsoft Pay ?? Why do Microsoft not promote this ??

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Microsoft Pay ?? Why do Microsoft not promote this ??: Microsoft Pay ?? Why do Microsoft not promote this ?? Many of my users and many other business and home users in Australia ask the question: Why are Microsoft Payment options not available at any businesses or web sites ? I get concerned when I talk about...
  8. Microsoft is improving notifications and badging in Microsoft Edge

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft is improving notifications and badging in Microsoft Edge: Notifications are an important part of the web, helping users stay up to date about what’s going on. Earlier this summer we announced a set of changes to make notification requests less distracting for users. This was just the first step, and we are working to...
  9. New Dropbox Badge for Microsoft Office

in Windows 10 News
    New Dropbox Badge for Microsoft Office: It’s always been our mission to make Dropbox for Business the best place to get work done. That means helping you be productive whether you’re in the office or on the go — even in the native applications that power your business. Earlier this year, we announced our vision...
  10. Introducing Microsoft badges for Microsoft Certified Professionals

in Windows 10 News
    Introducing Microsoft badges for Microsoft Certified Professionals: Introducing Microsoft badges Now that you have passed an exam or earned a new certification, let the world know about your achievement! Microsoft is partnering with Acclaim to award badges for your certifications. Beginning October 21, 2016, Microsoft Certified...