Windows 10: Microsoft tests fix for Windows 10’s File Association bug with Insiders

Discus and support Microsoft tests fix for Windows 10’s File Association bug with Insiders in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; The latest October and November 2018 cumulative updates for Windows 10 has a bug that prevents some users from setting a default app for specific... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinLatest, Nov 14, 2018.

1. WinLatest New Member

Microsoft tests fix for Windows 10’s File Association bug with Insiders

The latest October and November 2018 cumulative updates for Windows 10 has a bug that prevents some users from setting a default app for specific files. Microsoft has already acknowledged the problem in release notes of the Windows 10 cumulative update and the fix is expected to arrive later this month.

Another good news is Microsoft has already started testing the fix with Insiders. Microsoft today shipped Windows 10 Build 18282 to the Insiders in the Fast Ring and it fixes the file association bug. It means that after testing the fix with Insiders, Microsoft will implement changes in Windows 10 to address the problem for everyone.

“We fixed an issue resulting in some users not being able to set Win32 program defaults for certain app and file type combinations using the Open with… command or via Settings > Apps > Default apps,” Microsoft explains in the changelog of Build 18282.

Microsoft tests fix for Windows 10’s File Association bug with Insiders Windows-10-association-bug.jpg

According to the known issue section of the cumulative updates, the file association bug that prevents certain apps from handling specific file formats by default exists in both Windows 10 April 2018 Update and Windows 10 October 2018 Update.

If you install the patch for Windows 10, the file association may not work on your system but it’s only affecting a small number of systems and the function could if you try it multiple times. “In some cases, attempting to set application defaults again will succeed,” Microsoft explains. “Microsoft is working on a resolution and estimates a solution will be available in late November 2018”.

The issue doesn’t seem to affect all apps but the new default settings for apps such as Notepad is not working on some devices.

The post Microsoft tests fix for Windows 10’s File Association bug with Insiders appeared first on Windows Latest

Weiterlesen...

WinLatest, Nov 14, 2018
  2. malware Win User

Microsoft Fixes Bug in Windows Live File-sharing Service

Microsoft confirmed it has fixed a bug in its online file storage and sharing service Windows Live FolderShare after users reported problems that the service was deleting files without user authorization. Microsoft sent an e-mail to users Friday alerting them that it has fixed a bug that may have "accidentally moved" user files from their original folders into the FolderShare Trash folder, and that users should not delete files in Trash until they ensure they were meant to be deleted. It also advised users how to retrieve deleted files from the Trash folder. A copy of the information sent to users has been posted on the FolderShare Web site.

Source: Yahoo! News

malware, Nov 14, 2018
  3. Get a Windows 10 licence for free if you register on Windows Insider

If your wondering about the Microsoft Windows 10 being free for insiders here is a link with Microsoft explaining how that works:
    http://www.theverge.com/2015/6/22/8...o-explain-who-really-gets-windows-10-for-free

If you are part of the insider program you will receive a free copy of the OS so long as you keep allowing it to update to test builds/betas that are not public. So essentially you are still testing the OS so you have the chance of running into a bug more than a normal copy not to mention the other attributes of the windows insider program.

Still not a bad deal overall for a free OS...

GhostRyder, Nov 14, 2018
  4. D_o_S Win User

Microsoft "Find a bug"

To help incent its own employees to file and fix bugs in Windows Vista, the Microsoft brass is implementing a bounty program, according to one employee. The Windows team will pay employees $100 for each bug file and fixed. And the employee with the most bugs filed and fixed will earn an extra $500.

Source: Microsoft Watch

D_o_S, Nov 14, 2018
Thema:

1. Microsoft tests fix for Windows 10’s File Association bug with Insiders - Similar Threads - Microsoft tests fix

2. Microsoft is testing a fix for performance issues in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft is testing a fix for performance issues in Windows 10: Following the release of March 2021 cumulative updates, users started reporting serious problems, including issues with certain printers and games. While the printer issue was immediately patched, Windows 10’s bug that resulted in performance issues somehow slipped into the...
  3. Bug in Windows 10 insider

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Bug in Windows 10 insider: Just after I installed Parallels 16 on my new Macbook Air, and before I bought a copy of Windows 10, I somehow got on a website that lead me to becoming a "windows insider" and although I wasn't expecting it, Windows 10 got installed on my machine. Tonight, I am struggling...
  4. Microsoft tests fix for Windows 10 bug that breaks drive defrag tool

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft tests fix for Windows 10 bug that breaks drive defrag tool: Over time, a drive (both SSD and HDD) can begin to operate with less efficiency. To speed up your drive, Windows 10 allows you to defrag and optimize it using a built-in tool called ‘Drive Optimize’. The Optimize Drives window presents a list of all of the drives in your...
  5. Microsoft tests fix for Windows 10’s major bug that breaks Wi-Fi

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft tests fix for Windows 10’s major bug that breaks Wi-Fi: As we reported last month, a bug in Windows 10 May 2020 Update (version 2004) could break your Wi-Fi connection and disable apps such as Spotify or Microsoft Store. Despite the recent cumulative and optional updates, some users still see a yellow triangle in the taskbar or...
  6. Windows Update not tested for bugs?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Update not tested for bugs?: I have removed update KB450684 twice already because each time it renders searching for any programs or files inoperable just a blank search will appear. I have read some online trouble shooting and it seems most users are manually making changes to their registry files and...
  7. Microsoft Fix the Windows 10 bug!

in Windows 10 Customization
    Microsoft Fix the Windows 10 bug!: Wanneer komt er een Windows 10 bug Fix, want Start heeft nooit gewerkt, dus geen apps, geen store... niks werkt. Ik vraag dus om een update! Een Bug Fix! Alstublieft! Dus niet: "U moet of kan....", maar Een Windows Bugs Fix... Windows Service Pack!...
  8. File association bug

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File association bug: Hello, I'm using Cubase 10 and got the right file association to open it with cubase project files : [ATTACH] But when I double click on it, it opens it with Cubase 9.5, the previous version that, for technical reasons, I need to keep. Any ideas ?...
  9. Microsoft confirms File Association bug in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft confirms File Association bug in Windows 10: Microsoft’s latest cumulative update for Windows 10 has a bug that would break the file association feature in the operating system. The File Association bug prevents certain software from handling specific formats by default. For example, Microsoft Notepad or other Win32...
  10. Microsoft confirms File Association bug in Windows 10 version 1803

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft confirms File Association bug in Windows 10 version 1803: Microsoft confirmed on November 8, 2018 that the option to set custom file associations is broken for some users on Windows 10 version 1803. The issue, first reported on November 5, 2018 by Chris Hoffman on How To Geek, prevents users and administrators from selecting custom...