Windows 10: Microsoft tests fix for Windows 10’s major bug that breaks Wi-Fi

Discus and support Microsoft tests fix for Windows 10’s major bug that breaks Wi-Fi in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; As we reported last month, a bug in Windows 10 May 2020 Update (version 2004) could break your Wi-Fi connection and disable apps such as Spotify or... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinLatest, Aug 5, 2020.

1. WinLatest New Member

Microsoft tests fix for Windows 10’s major bug that breaks Wi-Fi

As we reported last month, a bug in Windows 10 May 2020 Update (version 2004) could break your Wi-Fi connection and disable apps such as Spotify or Microsoft Store. Despite the recent cumulative and optional updates, some users still see a yellow triangle in the taskbar or the “no internet access” message.

Last month, Microsoft said that it has been investigating the problem but has not released any solution to the consumers thus far.

The affected users noted that Windows 10 May 2020 Update makes the Wi-Fi icon disappear from the taskbar when the internet itself is active and the router is also accessible.

While there’s “no internet” connection message in the taskbar icon, users can still continue to browse the web in Google Chrome, Edge or Firefox. The apps that rely on the Network Connectivity Status Indicator (NCSI) to check internet connection are unlikely to work.

For example, the faulty network connections bug might cause an offline error in Spotify, Microsoft Store, Microsoft 365 and certain other apps will also remind you to make sure you’re connected to the internet.

The good news is that Microsoft has finally started distributing the fix to the testers in the Dev Channel of the Windows Insider program. With Windows 10 Build 20185, Microsoft says it has addressed the “no internet” connection problem:

• Fixed an issue that could result in the network icon in the Taskbar saying there was no internet although there was an active connection.

Given Microsoft’s track record, Windows 10 version 2004 will also get these fixes in a cumulative or optional update by the end of September.

The ‘no internet’ connection problem wouldn’t be such an annoyance if certain apps had worked as intended. If you’re affected and you cannot wait for Microsoft’s hotfix, there’s a workaround that appears to work for a number of users:

1. Open Registry Editor and navigate to the following path:
    2. In Registry, Navigate to “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\NlaSvc\Parameters\Internet”
    3. Highlight ‘EnableActiveProbing’.
      Microsoft tests fix for Windows 10’s major bug that breaks Wi-Fi EnableActiveProbing.jpg
    4. Change the value data from 0 to 1.
    5. Close Registry editor.
    6. Restart Windows.

It’s also worth noting that we’ve seen reports of other network-related issues caused by the Windows 10 May 2020 Update where the icon vanishes or the device fails to connect to the Wi-Fi.

If you’ve other network issues after the May 2020 Update, our advice is to file feedback report in the Feedback Hub, try updated Intel Wi-Fi drivers, or roll back to a more stable version of Windows.

The post Microsoft tests fix for Windows 10’s major bug that breaks Wi-Fi appeared first on Windows Latest

Weiterlesen...

WinLatest, Aug 5, 2020

2. Trouble Changing Wi-Fi Password

I've been following the following steps to change my Wi-Fi password for some time:

1. Launch Control Panel.
    2. Click "Network and Internet."
    3. Click "Network and Sharing Center."
    4. Click "Wi-Fi...."
    5. Click "Wireless Properties."
    6. Click the Security tab.
    7. Check "Show characters."
    8. Enter the password in "Network security key."
    Those steps have been working just fine, but today I discovered a new wrinkle. If I change the password inside the router first, "Wi-Fi..." doesn't appear in step 4. This isn't much of a problem at home, because I can just change the password in Control Panel before I change it inside the router, but it would be a problem at a public hotspot, or something of that nature. I also tested Brink's instructions in "How to Connect To a Wireless Network in Windows 10," but they don't work for me either. How can I fix this?

gregyurkon, Aug 5, 2020
  3. Junaid_A Win User
    Wi-Fi issue: Limited connectivity

Hi Scot,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community forum.

I suggest you to run the in-built troubleshooter for Internet connections.

• Open 'Settings' and click on 'Update and security'.
    • On the left pane, select 'Troubleshoot' and run the troubleshooter for 'Internet Connections'.

You may also try the troubleshooting steps listed in the articles listed below and check if it works:

Hope it helps.

Junaid_A, Aug 5, 2020
  4. Norton Win User

USB Wi-Fi Adapter Disabling

Is it on Windows 8's compatibility list (check MS website- forgot link)?

I had an issue with one Wi-fi adapter and it wasn't listed as compatible- All was well when I swapped it out with one on the compatibility list

Norton, Aug 5, 2020
Thema:

1. Microsoft tests fix for Windows 10’s major bug that breaks Wi-Fi - Similar Threads - Microsoft tests fix

2. Wi-Fi keeps breaking.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wi-Fi keeps breaking.: My Wi-Fi on my computer has been really unstable recently and has been connecting for a few minutes and then the Wi-Fi drops to where it cannot connect to the internet anymore before then reconnecting and doing the same thing again. This has been happening for 2 years now...
  3. Wi-Fi keeps breaking.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Wi-Fi keeps breaking.: My Wi-Fi on my computer has been really unstable recently and has been connecting for a few minutes and then the Wi-Fi drops to where it cannot connect to the internet anymore before then reconnecting and doing the same thing again. This has been happening for 2 years now...
  4. Wi-Fi keeps breaking.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Windows 10 KB5007186 released with major bug fixes

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 KB5007186 released with major bug fixes: Microsoft is now rolling out this year’s second last security update for Windows 10 version 2004 or later. The update is rolling out via Windows Update. Additionally, Microsoft has also published direct download links for Windows 10 KB5007186 offline installers. KB5007186 is...
  6. Microsoft tests fix for Windows 10 bug that breaks drive defrag tool

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft tests fix for Windows 10 bug that breaks drive defrag tool: Over time, a drive (both SSD and HDD) can begin to operate with less efficiency. To speed up your drive, Windows 10 allows you to defrag and optimize it using a built-in tool called ‘Drive Optimize’. The Optimize Drives window presents a list of all of the drives in your...
  7. KB4560960 Breaks Wi-Fi to printer

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    KB4560960 Breaks Wi-Fi to printer: I have a Brother MFC-6490CW printer and KB4560960 messed up my ability to configure it for custom size printing. 158208
  8. Application to test the Wi-Fi performance

Application to test the Wi-Fi performance: I am using the generic WiFi tool, to check WiFi performance For the next 5 days. The deluxe version, of checking WiFi performance "Is Free" Could someone give me all the details: Where to get it. Microsoft Store? I'll be watching for your reply . . . Jerry...
  9. Microsoft tests fix for Windows 10’s File Association bug with Insiders

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft tests fix for Windows 10’s File Association bug with Insiders: The latest October and November 2018 cumulative updates for Windows 10 has a bug that prevents some users from setting a default app for specific files. Microsoft has already acknowledged the problem in release notes of the Windows 10 cumulative update and the fix is expected...
  10. Wi-Fi keeps breaking.

Wi-Fi keeps breaking.: I've had this problem for about a month, and every time I fix it in a new way, it keeps coming back a few days later. I've restarted my modem, restarted my computer and updated my drivers. Sometimes one of these ways fixes the problem, sometimes it doesn't. And when it does...