Windows 10: Microsoft to clear KiB vs KB (etc) confusion anytime soon?

Discus and support Microsoft to clear KiB vs KB (etc) confusion anytime soon? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Gents, With Microsoft seemingly becoming more open to playing other players in the software industry, including supporting and getting involved with... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Muhammad Hegab, Nov 24, 2019.

1. Microsoft to clear KiB vs KB (etc) confusion anytime soon?

Gents,

With Microsoft seemingly becoming more open to playing other players in the software industry, including supporting and getting involved with open-source project, as well as adapting and using other operating systems, isn't it about time they fixed the confusion between binary-based and decimal-based units for file size?

It has been over two decades since the International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC) established the binary-based 1024-multiple units of bytes, such as kibibyte (KiB), mebibyte (MiB), gibibyte (GiB) to avoid the confusion with decimal based 1000-multiple units such as kilobyte (KB), megabyte (MB), gigabyte (GB) as per IS symbols.

Other major operating systems already respect that as well as HDD manufacturers, so Microsoft is the odd one here, and it causes confusion and inconvenience at times.

Some people probably still like the 1024-based units, so I imagine it could be made customization in Windows settings, where the user can choose the 1024-based units with their proper symbols (e.g. KiB, MiB, GiB) or the 1000-based units also with their proper symbols (e.g. KB, MB, GB).

Is this too much to ask?

:)

Muhammad Hegab, Nov 24, 2019

2. Problems with clearing cache with Microsoft Edge

Hi Destin,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern, and we in Community will try to help you in the best possible way we can.

I would suggest you to follow the below steps to clear the cache from Edge and check if the issue persist.

• Open Edge browser.

• On the top right corner click on the three dots

• Then below click on Settings

• Under clear browsing data

• Tap or click on Choose what to clear

• From the list check cached data
      and files, browsing history

• And click on clear.
    I would also suggest you to clear all temporary files from your computer and check if it helps:

• Press Windows+R key on the keyboard.
    • Type %temp% and hit Enter.

Try the SFC scan to resolve the issue. SFC scans the corrupted files and recover it automatically.

To run the SFC/SCANNOW command in Windows 10:

• Left click on Start button.

• Right click on Command Prompt (Admin) option which will let you run
      'Run as administrator’.

• Command Prompt Window pops up.

• Type: SFC /SCANNOW

You can also follow the link below for reference:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929833

I hope the above information was helpful. Get back to us with the updated status and we will be happy to assist you further.

Rakesh Narayanaswamy, Nov 24, 2019
  3. Edge Search Does Not Permit Change of Region

I got these suggestions from the Microsoft Community forum.No. 1 worked for me:

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community. I am glad to assist you on this.
    We have reproduce the issue here and we are able to access non-regional search for google using Microsoft Edge.
    I would suggest you to try the below steps and check if it helps.
    Step 1:
    Clear browsing data option of Microsoft Edge and check if you face the issue. To do so perform the steps below.

1. Click on the More actions icon next to the feedback icon present on top right corner of the Project Spartan homepage.
    2. Select Settings and click on Choose what to clear.
    3. Check the boxes Browsing history, Cookies and saved website data and Cached data and files and click on Clear.
    Step 2:
    I suggest you to create a new user account and check if the issue occurs.

1. Go to Settings.
    2. Choose Accounts and then select Family and other users.
    3. Select add someone else on this PC.
    4. Enter a user name and hit next.
    5. Click on Finish.
    6. Sign out from the current Account and Log into the new account.
    Step 3:
    It could also happen because of network issue. I suggest you to try with different network connection and check if it helps.

hurricane51, Nov 24, 2019
  4. Microsoft to clear KiB vs KB (etc) confusion anytime soon?

New FF - passwords

Hi:

If that setting is already enabled, then I suggest as the next troubleshooting step might be Mozilla Safe Mode (not to be confused with Windows Safe Mode)):

Troubleshoot Firefox issues using Safe Mode | Firefox Help

• Please report back and let us know the outcome, as it will dictate the next steps.
    • Also: please tell us what AV/AM/firewall programs are you running on this system?

Thanks,
    MM

MoxieMomma, Nov 24, 2019
Thema:

Microsoft to clear KiB vs KB (etc) confusion anytime soon?

1. Microsoft to clear KiB vs KB (etc) confusion anytime soon? - Similar Threads - Microsoft clear KiB

2. Confusion on Local Account vs Microsoft Account

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Confusion on Local Account vs Microsoft Account: I have some serious confusion over what is a local account vs a Windows account while working on my wife's computer. I know my Hotmail account and Windows account share the same password and as far as we can determine, hers should too. However, that doesn't seem to be true...
  3. Microsoft Accounts confusion and Outlook confusion

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Microsoft Accounts confusion and Outlook confusion: A Account confusion: I had to re-install Windows 10 and Microsoft 365 for the third time as for various reasons my new PC had to be reset to factory settings twice. Having a MS account using my e-mail address call it here #1 at the 3rd install was not accepted. Trying #2...
  4. It looks as if Microsoft Paint is not going anywhere anytime soon

in Windows 10 News
    It looks as if Microsoft Paint is not going anywhere anytime soon: Microsoft Paint, the decades-old basic image editor of the Windows operating system won't go anywhere, anytime soon it appears. Microsoft listed Microsoft Paint, abbreviated as MS Paint, as deprecated in the Fall Creators Update. Deprecated means that Microsoft would not...
  5. Microsoft is not planning to release Windows 10 19H2 builds anytime soon

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft is not planning to release Windows 10 19H2 builds anytime soon: A new report published earlier this week revealed that Microsoft has already begun work on the next big update for Windows 10 which will released in October 2019. The next update to Windows 10 is arriving in April 2019 and the second big update of the year will be released in...
  6. Microsoft is not discontinuing the classic Skype app for Windows anytime soon

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft is not discontinuing the classic Skype app for Windows anytime soon: Microsoft recently announced that the classic version of Skype would be retired in the fall and the users were required to upgrade to a newer, better and modern version of Skype in order to continue to use the messaging service. A number of Skype users took to the social...
  7. Microsoft isn’t planning to kill the classic Snipping Tool in Windows 10 anytime soon

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft isn’t planning to kill the classic Snipping Tool in Windows 10 anytime soon: Microsoft earlier this year introduced a new Screen Sketch app. Screen Sketch is a completely new app that has been made from scratch and it’s supposed to replace the previous screenshot experience called Snipping Tool. Microsoft is now showing a popup message (heads up) in...
  8. Confused by update notifications etc

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Confused by update notifications etc: I picked up from somewhere that M/S have issued an update to remove recent dubious updates, relating to intel processors. As I understand this, the required patch is KB4078130. This can be found on the update catalogue - its shown as a legitimate update,but, my PC refuses...
  9. Recovery Drive vs Recovery Partition vs PE Rescue Disk, confused.

in Windows 10 Support
    Recovery Drive vs Recovery Partition vs PE Rescue Disk, confused.: After I did a clean install of Win10 about a year ago, I created a USB Recovery Drive. I also have a Norton Security Recovery Drive and I’ve created USB Bootable PE Rescue Disk by Kyhi. I also use Acronis to create regular full disk images and I have a USB Bootable Acronis...
  10. Microsoft employee attempts to clear up confusion around IoT

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft employee attempts to clear up confusion around IoT: For most, the term Internet of Things (IoT) is a nebulous cloud of catch phrases and loosely connected peripherals. As more OEMs throw their hats into what most hope is the next form of mass computing, the meaning of IoT seems to become even further convoluted. Devices such...