Windows 10: Microsoft to discontinue Windows 7 and 8.1 next November

Discus and support Microsoft to discontinue Windows 7 and 8.1 next November in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Windows 7 has another year to go before it will no longer be preinstalled on new PCs. Still want to buy a PC that comes with Windows 7 or 8.1 from... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by hTconeM9user, Nov 3, 2015.

1. Microsoft to discontinue Windows 7 and 8.1 next November

Windows 7 has another year to go before it will no longer be preinstalled on new PCs.

Still want to buy a PC that comes with Windows 7 or 8.1 from the get-go? You've got less than a year.

Updated late October, Microsoft's "Windows lifecycle fact sheet" shows October 31, 2016, as the "end of sales for PCs with Windows preinstalled" for both Windows 7 Professional and Windows 8.1, a change spotted by CNET sister site ZDNet. After that date, the only choice for consumers will be to purchase new computers with Windows 10 installed. The lone exception will be businesses with license agreements that entitle them to choose which version of Windows they want preinstalled.

The deadline puts pressure on consumers who have grown comfortable with Windows 7 and are reluctant to upgrade their operating system if they buy a new PC. For Microsoft, it's a necessary step toward its goal of having Windows 10 power 1 billion devices, which underscores the company's message that the new software can tie together PCs, tablets and mobile phones with apps that can run on any of them.

Windows 7 users may not realize it, but they actually caught a break. Microsoft typically sets the end-of-sales date for each version of Windows two years after the release of a new version. That means Windows 7's cutoff date should have been in October 2014, two years after the launch of Windows 8. The lack of consumer demand for Windows 8 prompted Microsoft to keep Windows 7 alive longer than expected.

Users who want to continue running Windows 7 on their existing PCs need not worry. Extended technical support will be available until January 14, 2020, when you'll still be able to get security patches, bug fixes and other updates. The same type of support for Windows 8 will run until January 10, 2023.

Despite the extended deadline for Windows 7 and 8.1, Microsoft is heavily pushing Windows 10.

The new operating system, which launched at the end of July, is available as a free upgrade to Windows 7 and 8.1 users for the first year. Microsoft has been using frequent pop-up notices to remind those who reserved a copy to install the new operating system. The company has also classified Windows 10 as an "optional update" and early next year expects to change that to a "recommended update," Windows and Devices Group executive vice president Terry Myerson said last week.

Source

Microsoft to discontinue Windows 7 and 8.1 next November - CNET

:)

hTconeM9user, Nov 3, 2015
  2. bts73 Win User

Windows 10 is a complete failure after last update

i understand Microsoft is going to discontinue windows 10 and windows 8.1 and revert to windows 7. if they don't they will not be a trading company in a few years time.

bts73, Nov 3, 2015
  3. Microsoft End of support on Windows 7 on Next Gen Processors!!!!!!

in other words, i am going to buy another 20 more computers in the next few months.!!

also, that means, Microsoft will prohibit the sale of OEM Windows 7, you if you were to build a PC after November, you cannot install Windows 7 or Windows 8.1\8!!!

I have been looking at Linux lately. The one i tried and really like is Linux Mint 17.XX Cinnamon, an with the Wine program intalled on linux, i can run Windows programs with a click of a mouse.

TYLER_ERMIS, Nov 3, 2015
  4. pparks1 Win User

Microsoft to discontinue Windows 7 and 8.1 next November

Seems reasonable to me. 10 seems to be going well with all folks at work who have moved to it.

pparks1, Nov 3, 2015
  5. Yes it does to me also.
    Because if i brought a new laptop now I would want one with windows 10 on it.
    My reason save all the hassle of upgrading.

hTconeM9user, Nov 3, 2015
  6. sygnus21 Win User
    Though the headlines sound sensationalistic, lets not overlook this....

Meaning that though you may not be able to find a PC with a "preinstalled" copy of Windows 7/8, the OS's themselves will still be supported till 2020 for Win 7, and 2023 for Win 8.

sygnus21, Nov 3, 2015
  7. meebers Win User
    Was at the dentist last week. They have a screen mounted to the chair to view x-ray's etc. It was running WinXP. Doubt if it will ever be updated.

meebers, Nov 3, 2015
  8. davehc Win User

I hope they had something more up to date in the anaesthetic area!

davehc, Nov 3, 2015
  9. Cliff S New Member
    Why? IF it's off line....

***Notice, big if*Smile***

Cliff S, Nov 3, 2015
  10. Trust_No1 Win User
    Many of our government offices still run XP. In our state we return cans and bottles, I noticed that many of the machines also run XP.

Despite Microsoft's efforts I think Windows 7 will be with us for quite sometime. I for one will not be upgrading.

Trust_No1, Nov 3, 2015
  11. pparks1 Win User
    Microsoft simply won't be selling new licenses for these old OS's. It's not that they are going to vaporize existing systems and make them go away.

pparks1, Nov 3, 2015
  12. LEE
    Lee Win User
    Whatever. . .7 and 8.1 just have nothing I want or will miss. . .*Smile

13. Microsoft to discontinue Windows 7 and 8.1 next November

Nor me 10 by far the better windows

hTconeM9user, Nov 4, 2015
  14. BillyBob Win User
    A lot of Doctors and other professionals seem to use really outdated systems. My Dentist actually runs his whole business through a laptop and everything is in the cloud, we were talking about it only about a month ago, he was actually quite Tech savvy I was really surprised.

BillyBob, Nov 4, 2015
  15. BillyBob Win User
    I've ALWAYS updated all of my computers to the latest Windows OS as soon as it's available since the DOS days. I can't stand old operating systems on my computers, same with tablets and phones.

BillyBob, Nov 4, 2015
Thema:

1. Microsoft to discontinue Windows 7 and 8.1 next November - Similar Threads - Microsoft discontinue next

2. November 8, 2022—KB5020010

in Windows 10 Gaming
    November 8, 2022—KB5020010: Im having Windows server 2012 R2 as my DC/AD server, last Friday 11th Nov 2022 i have successfully installed the security update After installing all of the PC that are connected to this Domain network is not able to connect, it displays as public network or just network, by...
  3. November 8, 2022—KB5020010

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    November 8, 2022—KB5020010: Im having Windows server 2012 R2 as my DC/AD server, last Friday 11th Nov 2022 i have successfully installed the security update After installing all of the PC that are connected to this Domain network is not able to connect, it displays as public network or just network, by...
  4. New Microsoft OneDrive app version for Android - November 8

in Windows 10 News
    New Microsoft OneDrive app version for Android - November 8: Do more wherever you go with Microsoft OneDrive. Get to and share your documents, photos, and other files from your Android device, computer (PC or Mac), and any other devices you use. Use the Office mobile apps to stay productive and work together, no matter where you are....
  5. Next Week on Xbox: November 5 to 8 Xbox

in Windows 10 News
    Next Week on Xbox: November 5 to 8 Xbox: Welcome to Next Week on Xbox, where we cover all the new games coming soon to Xbox One! Every week the team at Xbox aims to deliver quality gaming content for you to enjoy on your favorite gaming console. To find out what’s coming soon to Xbox One, read on below and click on...
  6. Next Week on Xbox: New Games for October 29 to November 1 Xbox

in Windows 10 News
    Next Week on Xbox: New Games for October 29 to November 1 Xbox: Welcome to Next Week on Xbox, where we cover all the new games coming soon to Xbox One! Every week the team at Xbox aims to deliver quality gaming content for you to enjoy on your favorite gaming console. To find out what’s coming soon to Xbox One, read on below and click on...
  7. Watch Microsoft Ignite 2019 on November 4 to 8

in Windows 10 News
    Watch Microsoft Ignite 2019 on November 4 to 8: Microsoft Ignite will be held on November 48, 2019 at the Orange County Convention Center in Orlando, FL. Passes to Microsoft Ignite are sold out, but you can still participate. Join us online to livestream keynotes, watch selected sessions on-demand, and more. Learn...
  8. Watch Samsung Developer Conference November 7-8, 2018

in Windows 10 News
    Watch Samsung Developer Conference November 7-8, 2018: Watch Samsung Developer Conference 2018 live here on November 7-8. Day 1 opening keynote - Wednesday 11/7 at 10 am PST Day 2 spotlight session - Thursday 11/8 at 10 am PST Read more: Samsung Developer Conference Tweet — Twitter API (@user) View on Twiiter 121144
  9. Microsoft Security Bulletin(s) for November 8 2016

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Microsoft Security Bulletin(s) for November 8 2016: Microsoft Security Bulletin(s) for November 8 2016 Note: There may be latency issues due to replication, if the page does not display keep refreshing Today Microsoft released the following Security Bulletin(s). Note: www.microsoft.com/technet/security and...
  10. Perspective: If Windows 8 = Vista, what's Microsoft's next move?

in Windows 10 News
    Perspective: If Windows 8 = Vista, what's Microsoft's next move?: Computerworld - GREGG KEIZER It's a low rumble here, there, like a thunderstorm barely heard because it's so far over the horizon that only the cloud tops can be seen, but the words "Windows 8 is Vista" are starting to leave lips and paint pixels. And that has to scare the...