Windows 10: Microsoft to fix one of the worst things about Windows 10

Discus and support Microsoft to fix one of the worst things about Windows 10 in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Windows 10 does a good job at being a desktop operating system. It’s robust, solid, fully-featured and capable, but botched Windows Update process is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinLatest, Sep 12, 2020.

1. WinLatest New Member

Microsoft to fix one of the worst things about Windows 10

Windows 10 does a good job at being a desktop operating system. It’s robust, solid, fully-featured and capable, but botched Windows Update process is Microsoft’s biggest problem currently.

Windows is installed on hundreds of millions of devices all over the world with different hardware, software, and driver combinations.

While it’s technically impossible for Microsoft to create an OS that would be flawless on all devices, Microsoft has made numerous changes to Windows Update, installation process, and more.

For example, Microsoft last year promised that its customers would no longer be surprised by feature updates. The company added a new option in Windows Update that separates feature updates and allows you to install cumulative updates without installing the feature upgrade on the second Tuesday of each month.

Last year, Microsoft also added a new notification that shows up when your devices aren’t ready or able to install the update.

Microsoft to fix one of the worst things about Windows 10 Windows-10-version-2004-warning.jpg

The most common complaint with Windows 10 feature updates is that users don’t know why an update is not available for their devices when they attempt to proactively grab them earlier.

We already know there are always quite a few issues with any feature updates. While Microsoft has created a dashboard for all known issues, Microsoft is also actively blocking updates for some people without any documented reasons.

Microsoft to fix one of the worst things about Windows 10 Windows-10-Update-Assistant-block.jpg

In other words, if your device is blocked from receiving Windows 10 version 2004 or version 20H2, you won’t be able to find out why your “device isn’t quite ready” to receive the new version.

According to sources familiar with the Redmond giant’s plan, Microsoft is working on “customized and actionable” upgrade blocks for Windows 10. In a future version of Windows 10, Microsoft plans to provide users with more specific information on why they cannot install a new update.

For example, if your update is blocked due to incompatible network drivers, you’ll be able to see that specific information within the updated dashboard of the Settings app. This new Windows Update UI is expected to be “actionable”, so you’ll be able to get more details on a newer driver directly from the update screen.

In addition, Microsoft is also working on more artificial intelligence and machine learning tech to block upgrades when problems are detected with hardware/driver/software combinations.

Feature packs for smaller downloads

Windows Updates also tend to take a ton of time to install, and many of Microsoft’s recent cumulative updates have infamously introduced installation problems.

However, we’ve heard that Microsoft could solve these problems by splitting up optional or some new features into smaller downloads.

Microsoft to fix one of the worst things about Windows 10 Windows-Feature-Experience-Pack.jpg

In Windows 10 version 2004 or newer, you’ll notice something called the “Windows Feature Experience Pack” under the “About” section of the system settings menu.

While there has been little information, it’s believed that Microsoft could soon offer core or optional software components through the app store without having to install an entirely new version of Windows 10.

Microsoft to fix one of the worst things about Windows 10 Windows-10X-Feature-Experience-Pack.jpg

This is could finally allow Microsoft to streamline the large feature upgrades and it will also allow Microsoft to quickly roll out fixes and updates for some independent features.

It’s worth noting that this information is completely based on rumours and findings, and Microsoft has not provided any official comments on any of the noted changes.

The post Microsoft to fix one of the worst things about Windows 10 appeared first on Windows Latest

Weiterlesen...

WinLatest, Sep 12, 2020

2. Microsoft Selects Dolby Audio for Windows 10

it would've been great if microsoft added HEVC decoders, LAV filters along with other codecs with Windows 10, and developing WMP to be better than VLC, KMPlayer and such sorts of media players.

Nevertheless, this is good step for microsoft, by far.

Analog_Interface, Sep 12, 2020
  3. Microsoft Botches Up UEFI Support for Windows 7 on ASUS Motherboards

Microsoft to fix one of the worst things about Windows 10 [​IMG]

Microsoft suggests updating to Windows 10 to patch Windows 7
    • Tweet
    • Facebook
    • Google plus
    • Send to
    9 Comments

MICROSOFT HAS confirmed a potentially lappy-borking problem that it won't be fixing, because Windows 7.

Woody Leonhard, the respected Windows columnist, points to a problem involving Asus motherboards, which also appear rebadged in a variety of other manufacturers' machines, and the activation of UEFI Secure Boot for Windows 7 in a patch KB3133977.

Short version: install update, welcome to Borksville, population you.

Both Asus and Microsoft acknowledged the problem. Microsoft entitled the article "BitLocker can't encrypt drives because of service crashes in svchost.exe process in Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2", but we prefer to just call it "Trevor for brevity."

The firm's advice was that it's an optional update, leave well alone, you'll be fine, or alternatively turn secure boot off.

Then Microsoft did a silly, silly thing.

It moved the update from 'optional' to 'recommended' and anyone who reads this site regularly will know what happens when Microsoft does this. That's right boys and girls - it makes it automatically install, unless you've specifically told your machine not to.

So now, if you have one of the affected motherboard and you keep your security updates automatic like wot Microsoft recommends, then your machine will stop working properly.

We should add it's not permanently bricked, but it will take some mucking about in the BIOS to fix and that's a pain even for an experienced computer user.

Microsoft has, by offering a workaround, suggested heavily that it won't be fixing the problem, though we have asked the question, so expect a response in about a fortnight.

But the real kicker is this piece of advice: "Note The Secure Boot feature is supported in Windows 10. To learn more about the security advantages of this feature and about the upgrade path from Windows 7 to Windows 10, go to the following Windows website"

Holy toledo, this company really knows how to rub people up the wrong way.

After all - if the advice is to manually avoid the update or move to a version of the operating system where there's virtually no control over updates, then Microsoft is dealing in massive contradictions.

A more cynical site would suggest that it's yet another example of Microsoft running Windows 7 into the ground and adding built in obsolescence to encourage quicker updates. But we're not that sort of site.

Its the patching to force secure boot that is the problem win 7 does not support secure boot
    hence it borks systems and well microsofts answer is Cactus >your Asshole > insert

from the inquirer

dorsetknob, Sep 12, 2020
  4. Microsoft to fix one of the worst things about Windows 10

dorsetknob, Sep 12, 2020
Thema:

Microsoft to fix one of the worst things about Windows 10

1. Microsoft to fix one of the worst things about Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Microsoft fix worst

2. I decided to sync to one drive and it is the worst thing I have ever done.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I decided to sync to one drive and it is the worst thing I have ever done.: It has changed my cashbook system and it is not up to date and it has upset my speech exec programme and I cannot download work to it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-decided-to-sync-to-one-drive-and-it-is-the-worst/3d1823c5-c391-4ee8-93dc-38613a9c1e20
  3. I decided to sync to one drive and it is the worst thing I have ever done.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    I decided to sync to one drive and it is the worst thing I have ever done.: It has changed my cashbook system and it is not up to date and it has upset my speech exec programme and I cannot download work to it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-decided-to-sync-to-one-drive-and-it-is-the-worst/3d1823c5-c391-4ee8-93dc-38613a9c1e20
  4. WINDOWS 10 IS WORST

in Windows 10 Customization
    WINDOWS 10 IS WORST: NO NEW FEARTURES LIKE UNISTALL ETC MICROSOFT DEFENDER KILLS MEMZ ! que pior!!!!!!!!!! I HATE WIN10!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! EU ODEIO WIN10!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...
  5. If There's One Thing I Don't Like About Windows 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    If There's One Thing I Don't Like About Windows 10: If there's one thing I don't like about Windows 10, it's that a solid colored background blocks my screen and cursor so I won't be able to see what I'm doing. That never happened on Windows 7....
  6. Microsoft to fix the worst thing about Windows 10 updates

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft to fix the worst thing about Windows 10 updates: Microsoft could be planning a major overhaul of how features and updates are delivered to Windows 10. Currently, Windows 10 updates and features are delivered twice a year via built-in Windows Update page. This could change soon, according to a new reference in preview builds...
  7. Microsoft is the Worst

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Microsoft is the Worst: I used to be a die hard pc fan. Loved Windows XP. Finally had to get Windows 7 and that's good. I hate Windows 10. When they really do away with Windows 7, I am done with Microsoft. New Windows are useless to any besides those completely computer illiterate. Now they are...
  8. This update is the worst thing to happen to me

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    This update is the worst thing to happen to me: Sure, do the update my computer suggests… Ever since I did the update yesterday my computer won't turn on and just stays frozen in that black HP start up screen. I do hard to shut down after hard shut down and sometimes I can get to my main screen but most of the time it...
  9. EVERY THING ABOUT WINDOWS 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    EVERY THING ABOUT WINDOWS 10: your windows 10 is the most unfriendly software that you ever created!!! I hate windows 10, it came with my computer without my knowing about it! you have too many links for a very simple questions and then you "ask the community" board!!! WINDOS 10 IS STUPID TRASH!!!...
  10. One thing i don't like about win 10

in Windows 10 Support
    One thing i don't like about win 10: Hello everyone, So i just upgraded to Win10 and so far everything seems to work smoothly, however, there is one minor thing that really bother me, which is forcing the user to login with his Microsoft Account instead of the local one in order to use features Cortana, and...