Windows 10: Microsoft to shut down Windows 7 Games Servers on January 22, 2020

Discus and support Microsoft to shut down Windows 7 Games Servers on January 22, 2020 in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Microsoft revealed in a forum post on the official Microsoft Answers forum that it plans to shut down games servers for games that require Internet... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Jul 9, 2019.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

Microsoft to shut down Windows 7 Games Servers on January 22, 2020

Microsoft revealed in a forum post on the official Microsoft Answers forum that it plans to shut down games servers for games that require Internet connectivity for its Windows 7, Windows XP, and Windows ME operating systems.

Windows 7 has just a few months of support left under its belt. Microsoft will end support for the operating system on January 14, 2020 after a last Tuesday Patch Day for the operating system in January 2020.

Notifications about the upcoming end of support are already pushed to customer devices.

Enterprise and Education customers may extend support by up to three years but everyone else is out of luck. Windows 7 systems will continue to work for the most part but some features may become unavailable.

Microsoft Internet Games that are part of Windows 7 won't be playable anymore starting January 22, 2020.

Microsoft to shut down Windows 7 Games Servers on January 22, 2020 internet-games-windows-7-error-0x80041004.png

Microsoft will shut down game servers on that day for Windows 7 games. Game servers for Windows XP or ME games will be shut down on July 31, 2019 so that the games won't work anymore on these systems.

• Microsoft Internet Games services on Windows XP and ME will end on July 31, 2019.
    • Microsoft Internet Games services on Windows 7 will end on January 22, 2020.

Here is the list of affected games and the operating systems the games are available on.

• Internet Backgammon (XP/ME, 7)
    • Internet Checkers (XP/ME, 7)
    • Internet Spades (XP/ME, 7)
    • Internet Hearts (XP/ME)
    • Internet Reversi (XP/ME)
    • MSN Go (7)

Microsoft notes that players will be able to play these games until the server shutdown date.

Current players may enjoy the games until the dates above, when game services will cease, and the games listed will no longer be playable.

It is unclear at this point whether the games will show an error message on start that informs players that game servers are no longer available, or if they will simply show connection errors (which they did in the past when game servers were not available).

Microsoft removed many of the classic games in Windows 8. Windows 8 users have options to install games from the Windows Store.

Closing Words

Microsoft shutting down game servers quickly after Windows 7 support end may not sit well with gamers on these machines as Microsoft kept game servers for Windows XP and even Windows ME up for years after support end.

It is Microsoft's decision in the end and there is little that customers may do in this regard. If you ask me, I'd loved to have seen Microsoft open sourcing the games and game servers so that they could live on as independent products.

Now You: What is your take on the decision? (via Windows Latest)

Ghacks needs you. You can find out how to support us here (https://www.ghacks.net/support/) or support the site directly by becoming a Patreon (https://www.patreon.com/ghacks)). Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post Microsoft to shut down Windows 7 Games Servers on January 22, 2020 appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, Jul 9, 2019
  2. Lonnie_L Win User

Windows 7 support will end on January 14, 2020

Windows 7 support will end on January 14, 2020. After that, technical assistance and software updates from Windows Update that help protect your PC will no longer be available for the product. While you could continue to use your
    PC running Windows 7, without continued software and security updates, it will be at greater risk for viruses and malware. Microsoft strongly recommends that you move to a new PC running Windows 10 sometime before January 2020 to avoid a situation where you
    need service or support that is no longer available.

Want to learn more about Windows 7 end of support? Check out these
    frequently asked questions. And if you haven’t already, check out
    microsoft.com/windows7 to learn what you can do to prepare for end of support. From backing up your files to finding a new computer that fits your needs, we’ve got
    tools to help you transition with ease.

Lonnie_L, Jul 9, 2019
  3. alexp999 Win User
    Microsoft Officially RTMs Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2

Microsoft Corp. today announced the release to manufacturing (RTM) of Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2, the next versions of its flagship desktop and server operating systems. With the completion of this development phase, industry partners are readying products in time for the Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 worldwide general launches. Windows 7 will be generally available to customers around the world on October 22, and Windows Server 2008 R2 will be generally available on or before that date. As always, current customers of the Windows Volume Licensing program, Microsoft Developer Network (MSDN) subscribers and TechNet subscribers will be among the first to get customer access to Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 in the coming weeks.

Microsoft will make the announcement on its Windows Team and Windows Server Blogs later today. More information about today's news is available via the following links:

Source: Microsoft

alexp999, Jul 9, 2019
  4. SamMoore6 Win User

windows 7 extended service updates after january 2020

It has been reported by Microsoft and others that Extended Service Updates will be available to at least some Windows 7 Pro users for a fee after January 2020. The statement reads as follows. These ESUs will be available
    to any Windows 7 Professional and Windows 7 Enterprise users with volume-licensing agreements, and those with Windows Software Assurance and/or Windows 10 Enterprise or Education subscriptions will get a discount. Most of our licenses of Windows 7 Pro are
    OEM licenses that we received when we purchased Windows 7 Pro pre-installed on Dell and Lenovo computers. Does anyone know if those OEM editions well be eligible for Windows 7 ESU and what the costs might be? Thanks

SamMoore6, Jul 9, 2019
Thema:

1. Microsoft to shut down Windows 7 Games Servers on January 22, 2020 - Similar Threads - Microsoft shut down

2. Windows Server 22

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Server 22: Im noticing a LOT of driver issues with this version of WinSer, MANY if not all devices are coming up with errors and broken?! WTH what a mess. RAID controller and IOGear SmartCard Reader not working now. Why didnt micro just reskin 19 and call it good?...
  3. Windows Server 22

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Server 22: Im noticing a LOT of driver issues with this version of WinSer, MANY if not all devices are coming up with errors and broken?! WTH what a mess. RAID controller and IOGear SmartCard Reader not working now. Why didnt micro just reskin 19 and call it good?...
  4. Microsoft update on 12/22/2020

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Microsoft update on 12/22/2020: My laptop did an automatic update today and now it won’t boot up. I was not having any problems before the update. How can I recover from this? I was able to get to the following command prompt but nowhere else. X:\windows\system32> Any help you can provide is greatly...
  5. Microsoft January 2020 Security Updates

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Microsoft January 2020 Security Updates: Release Notes January 2020 Security Updates Release Date: January 14, 2020 The January security release consists of security updates for the following software: Microsoft Windows Internet Explorer Microsoft Office and Microsoft Office Services and Web Apps ASP.NET Core...
  6. Microsoft January 2020 Security Updates

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Microsoft January 2020 Security Updates: Release Notes January 2020 Security Updates Release Date: January 14, 2020 The January security release consists of security updates for the following software: Microsoft Windows Internet Explorer Microsoft Office and Microsoft Office Services and Web Apps ASP.NET Core...
  7. Windows 7: Microsoft Security Essentials support ends on January 14, 2020

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 7: Microsoft Security Essentials support ends on January 14, 2020: Windows 7 Home users who protect their systems with the security software Microsoft Security Essentials will soon have to find a different product to protect their devices as Microsoft won't support the software anymore after support for the operating system ends. Microsoft...
  8. End of Support for Microsoft Security Essentials and Windows 7: January 14, 2020

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    End of Support for Microsoft Security Essentials and Windows 7: January 14, 2020: Will Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) continue to protect my computer after the end of support? No, your Windows 7 computer is not protected by MSE after January 14, 2020. MSE is unique to Windows 7 and follows the same lifecycle dates for support. Learn more about MSE....
  9. Microsoft to Shut Down Wunderlist on May 6th, 2020

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft to Shut Down Wunderlist on May 6th, 2020: As a team of over 26 nationalities, we at Wunderlist/Microsoft To Do know what it's like to move your life from one place to another. Be it a city or an app, moving can be stressful and scary – but, more importantly, exciting and refreshing. The key to a successful move is...
  10. Next Week on Xbox: New Games for January 22 - 25

in Windows 10 News
    Next Week on Xbox: New Games for January 22 - 25: Welcome to Next Week on Xbox, where we cover all the new games coming soon to Xbox One! Every week the team at Xbox aims to deliver quality gaming content for you to enjoy on your favorite gaming console. To find out what’s coming soon to Xbox One, read on below and click on...