Windows 10: Microsoft ToDo crashes with event id 5961 - Error 80040904 and 80040905: Activation phase:...

Discus and support Microsoft ToDo crashes with event id 5961 - Error 80040904 and 80040905: Activation phase:... in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi, One of our users has a new Win 10 20H2 laptop and all is working OK except Microsoft ToDo crashes on launch. We've tried re-installing it,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by NigelArcher, Jan 21, 2021.

1. Microsoft ToDo crashes with event id 5961 - Error 80040904 and 80040905: Activation phase:...

Hi,

One of our users has a new Win 10 20H2 laptop and all is working OK except Microsoft ToDo crashes on launch. We've tried re-installing it, updating all the store apps and restarting but no change.

In the Microsoft-windows-TWinUI/Operational log it logs error event ID 5961:

Activation for Microsoft. Todos_8wekvb3dBbbweApp failed. Error code unknown HResult Error code 80040904 : Activation phase: COM App activation

Also some with error code Error code 80040905 as well.

Can't find any help for this specific issue and it is a new laptop with other store apps working.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

Thanks,

Nigel

:)

NigelArcher, Jan 21, 2021
  2. Eagle51 Win User

Event ID 10016

Solved Numerous event id 10016 errors win 8 pro 64 bit

Here is the basic outline ...

1. Search the registry for the CLSID
    2. Make note of the Default Value, which is the name (ex. ShellExperienceHost, RuntimeBroker) you're going to look for in DCOM
    3. Change the Owner to Administrators
    4. Give Administrators Full Control
    5. Repeat steps 1-4 for the APPID
    6. WinKey + s > type in component services > click on Component Services in list
    7. Component Services > Computers > My Computer > DCOM Config
    8. Change the View to Details
    9. Find the name from step 2 (ex. ShellExperienceHost, RuntimeBroker)
    10. Right Click on the Name > Properties
    11. Select the Security Tab
    12. Launch & Activation Permissions > Click Edit
    13. Look for the offending user from the 10016 (ex. System, Local Service) and make sure it has the activation requested (ex. Local Activation). If the offending user does NOT exist, you have to add it and give it Local Launch and Local Activation
    14. Click Apply
    15. Close DCOM and Regedit
    16. Reboot PC

Note: Make sure you understand the steps before doing them Microsoft ToDo crashes with event id 5961 - Error 80040904 and 80040905: Activation phase:... :)

Eagle51, Jan 21, 2021
  3. Mike0409 Win User
    System Error.

Event ID for each error? List those, will tell you what caused it on the Microsoft Knowledge Base.

Mike0409, Jan 21, 2021
  4. Microsoft ToDo crashes with event id 5961 - Error 80040904 and 80040905: Activation phase:...

Event ID 105 from source Microsoft-Windows-Immersive-Shell cannot be found

My friend's computer has this entry in the TwinUI Operational log:

Event ID 105

The description for Event ID 105 from source Microsoft-Windows-Immersive-Shell cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component
    on the local computer.

>How can I install or repair the Windows Immersive Shell?

>Can this be done with regsvr?

The log also contains multiple event ID 5961 entries, e.g.

Event ID 5961

Activation of the app Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy!CortanaUI for the Windows.Launch contract failed with error: Invalid value for registry.

In addition, I have already found the following KB article, and will try it the next time I get access to the computer.

Win8: App: Modern: Apps fail to start if default registry or file permissions modified

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2798317

Tom Ligon(2), Jan 21, 2021
Thema:

Microsoft ToDo crashes with event id 5961 - Error 80040904 and 80040905: Activation phase:...

1. Microsoft ToDo crashes with event id 5961 - Error 80040904 and 80040905: Activation phase:... - Similar Threads - Microsoft ToDo crashes

2. Computer Crashing with Event ID 14 followed by Event ID 56

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer Crashing with Event ID 14 followed by Event ID 56: I've triedReplacing PSUUpdating BIOSReinstalling GPU Drivers using DDUMoving PC Power plug to surge protectorReplacing home electrical socketTech Help includes minidump files and system info...
  3. Computer Crashing with Event ID 14 followed by Event ID 56

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Computer Crashing with Event ID 14 followed by Event ID 56: I've triedReplacing PSUUpdating BIOSReinstalling GPU Drivers using DDUMoving PC Power plug to surge protectorReplacing home electrical socketTech Help includes minidump files and system info...
  4. Microsoft TODO crashes at startup

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Microsoft TODO crashes at startup: When I try to run ToDo it shows the spash screen for a second or so then disapears without loading the app. I have uninstalled it, reset it, run wsreset and checked the logs which are showing:Faulting application name: Todo.exe, version: 2.62.5211.0, time stamp:...
  5. Microsoft TODO crashes at startup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft TODO crashes at startup: When I try to run ToDo it shows the spash screen for a second or so then disapears without loading the app. I have uninstalled it, reset it, run wsreset and checked the logs which are showing:Faulting application name: Todo.exe, version: 2.62.5211.0, time stamp:...
  6. Microsoft TODO crashes at startup

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Event ID 41 Power Kernal Error Crashes

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Event ID 41 Power Kernal Error Crashes: I have been getting this error repeatedly and it is driving me insane. I have switched out my PSU, Mobo, RAM, and tested my video card, and it's not any of these. Temperatures are all fine as well. I did a complete re-install of Windows and it still crashed; I went back and...
  8. Crashing to event ID 1000

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Crashing to event ID 1000: After I have installed new computer parts my games and most particularly Destiny 2 has been crashing to event ID number 1000 I am running a GTX 1080 I7-6700k avg cpu temp is 63 32g corsair 3000 Memory (4 x 8) So far I have reinstalled most games and have changed the CPU...
  9. Event ID 10016 causing system crash

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Event ID 10016 causing system crash: I have reinstalled Window 10 many times, and change security permission. My desktop: - CPU Core i7 6700 - Mainboard Asus Z170-K - Ram 16GB - Graphic Nvidia Geforce GTX 970 - SSD 240GB WD Here some pictures [ATTACH][ATTACH][ATTACH] Thanks...
  10. Event ID 10010 error with Microsoft Edge

in Browsers and Email
    Event ID 10010 error with Microsoft Edge: Hi guys, recently I found there are many event id 10010 errors involving Microsoft edge. Has anyone encountered this? Is there any ways to resolve this? Beside some lags when using edge browser I have no other problem. Thanks in advance... 99154

Users found this page by searching for:

1. 事件ID 5961