Windows 10: Microsoft unveils new open source Windows Terminal

Discus and support Microsoft unveils new open source Windows Terminal in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Microsoft released the source code of a new Windows Terminal application today featuring multi-tab support, improved font rendering, and more. The... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, May 7, 2019.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

Microsoft unveils new open source Windows Terminal

Microsoft released the source code of a new Windows Terminal application today featuring multi-tab support, improved font rendering, and more.

The company plans to add Windows Terminal to the Microsoft Store for Windows 10 devices soon to make it available to more users.

Windows Terminal won't replace any command line interface of the Windows operating system, at least not in the near future. Microsoft positions it as a new modern interface that developers and administrators may use instead of the command line interfaces that are included in the Windows operating system.

The decision to create a new Terminal application for Windows was made after it became clear that the Windows console host, conhost.exe, could not be used to implement many of the features that Microsoft and the community wanted.

Windows Terminal

Microsoft unveils new open source Windows Terminal windows-terminal-screenshot.jpg

One of the big features of the new Windows Terminal application is multi-tab support. You may remember that Microsoft planned to introduce support for tabs natively to the Shell in the Windows 10 operating system but decided to remove the feature that it called Sets again from development builds.

Sets allowed anyone to combine multiple application windows in a single container for easier handling and manageability.

Windows Terminal's tab support feature adds options to launch multiple different terminals from a single command line interface. You can use it to run PowerShell, the Command Prompt, and any installed Linux Terminal, and to switch between the terminals with just a click on a tab in the program window.

The new terminal application is fully backwards compatible with existing solutions.

Microsoft notes that Windows Terminal uses a GPU accelerated DirectWrite/DirectX-based text rendering engine. It paves the way for using any text character, symbol, emoji, ligatures, or glyphs installed on the device next to improved text output and rendering improvements.

Microsoft unveils new open source Windows Terminal console-output.png

Microsoft created a new monospaced font for Windows Terminal that includes programming ligatures and will be open sourced as well.

Windows Terminal will provide users with customization and configuration options. Settings are stored in structured text files so that users may tinker with the settings directly. One interesting feature is the ability to configure each Terminal individually.

These profiles can have their own combination of font styles and sizes, color themes, background blur/transparency levels, etc. You can now create your own custom-styled Terminal that is personalized to your unique taste!

Now you: do you use a Terminal application?

Ghacks needs you. You can find out how to support us here (https://www.ghacks.net/support/) or support the site directly by becoming a Patreon (https://www.patreon.com/ghacks)). Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post Microsoft unveils new open source Windows Terminal appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, May 7, 2019
  2. malware Win User

Microsoft Releases New Update for Windows Vista

Microsoft yesterday released a new hotfix, KB941649, which improves the compatibility, reliability, and stability of Windows Vista. This update includes the following improvements:
    • It extends the battery life for mobile devices.
    • It improves the stability of portable computers and of desktop computers that use an uninterruptable power supply (UPS).
    • It improves the reliability of Windows Vista when you open the menu of a startup application.
    • It improves the stability of Internet Explorer when you open a Web page.
    • It improves the stability of wireless network services.
    • It shortens the startup time of Windows Vista by using a better timing structure.
    • It shortens the recovery time after Windows Vista experiences a period of inactivity.
    • It shortens the recovery time when you try to exit the Photos screen saver.
    • It improves the stability of Windows PowerShell.
    DOWNLOAD

Source: Microsoft

malware, May 7, 2019
  3. Microsoft unveils PowerApps to enable anyone to build a mobile app and

Microsoft unveils PowerApps to enable anyone to build a mobile app and link to business data

Microsoft has unveiled a new tool designed to enable those without developer skills to create mobile apps.
    The move is intended to help organisations open access to corporate data by making it easier for employees to build custom apps and link them with data from sources such as enterprise applications.

Source

Microsoft unveils PowerApps to enable anyone to build a mobile app and link to business data - IT News from V3.co.uk

hTconeM9user, May 7, 2019
  4. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, May 7, 2019
Thema:

1. Microsoft unveils new open source Windows Terminal - Similar Threads - Microsoft unveils open

2. Open Source on Microsoft Store

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Open Source on Microsoft Store: How can I publish a free open-source project on Microsoft Store? It's a Win32 Windows desktop app using WinUI 3 and Windows SDK API. What sort of developer account do I need?...
  3. Open Source on Microsoft Store

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Open Source on Microsoft Store: How can I publish a free open-source project on Microsoft Store? It's a Win32 Windows desktop app using WinUI 3 and Windows SDK API. What sort of developer account do I need?...
  4. New Microsoft Terminal

New Microsoft Terminal: How can I customize Windows Terminal? I watched some Youtube Tutorials but they all had profiles.json but I do not have that. When I open the dropdown menu and click settings It does not open profiles.json, It opens settings.json....
  5. Open .bat files whit new Windows Terminal?

Open .bat files whit new Windows Terminal?: So i have question, is it possible to open .bat files with the new Windows terminal? I already installed Windows Terminal but i really want to open the .bat files with the new Windows Terminal instead of the old cmd. If it is possible can u tell me how? Already thanks for...
  6. Open .bat files whit new Windows Terminal?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Open .bat files whit new Windows Terminal?: So i have question, is it possible to open .bat files with the new Windows terminal? I already installed Windows Terminal but i really want to open the .bat files with the new Windows Terminal instead of the old cmd. Already thanks for u suport....
  7. Windows Terminal: multiple tabs with same source

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Terminal: multiple tabs with same source: I wanted to add a new terminal type for use with sessions where I plan to be ssh-ing into other computers, to make it really easy to see whether I am affecting the local computer or a remote machine. So in "Settings" I duplicated the Ubuntu session, changed the GUID and...
  8. Microsoft unveils Windows Collaboration Displays, a new category of devices

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft unveils Windows Collaboration Displays, a new category of devices: At Computex in Taipei, Microsoft today announced new Windows Collaboration Displays from Avocore and Sharp. The company says this is a ‘new category’ of devices with Windows 10, and it’s supposed to empower employees and offices around the world. With Windows Collaboration...
  9. Microsoft: An Open Source Windows Is ‘Definitely Possible’

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft: An Open Source Windows Is ‘Definitely Possible’: Microsoft’s software empire rests on Windows, the computer operating system that runs so many of the world’s desktop PCs, laptops, phones, and servers. Along with the Office franchise, it generates the majority of the company’s revenues. But one day, the company could “open...
  10. Microsoft expected to unveil new Windows name next week

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft expected to unveil new Windows name next week: Microsoft is preparing its first official look at the future of Windows next week, during an invite-only event in San Francisco. While a number of leaks have unearthed features and changes in an upcoming release of Windows, currently codenamed Threshold, the naming of the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows terminal preview download