Windows 10: Microsoft: update quality is better than ever

Discus and support Microsoft: update quality is better than ever in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; The past six weeks have not been pleasant for Microsoft. The company released the October 2018 Update in early October and had to pull it -- Microsoft... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Nov 14, 2018.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

Microsoft: update quality is better than ever

The past six weeks have not been pleasant for Microsoft. The company released the October 2018 Update in early October and had to pull it -- Microsoft called it pause -- to deal with data loss bugs and other issues that plagued the millions of users that installed the update in the four days it was available.

It took Microsoft until November 13, 2018 to hit start again and release the new feature update for Windows 10; this time, the speed in which the update is distributed appears to be even slower than before, likely to make sure that no other stopper bugs are found.

Michael Fortin, Corporate Vice President, Windows, published a text on the Windows Experience Blog, Windows 10 Quality approach for a complex ecosystem, that deals with update quality and updating in general.

The October 2018 Update fiasco is dealt with in the first paragraph only; the update had a "small but serious issues" and was the first feature update that Microsoft had to pause.

Data shows, according to Fortin, that update quality is better than ever. The improvement is visualized in a graph that highlights the customer incident rate over time in hundreds per million devices.

Microsoft: update quality is better than ever customer-incident-rate.png

The rate went down from an all-time high in 2015 but Microsoft made changes to the graph to increase the effect it has on people that just glance at it.

The first issue is that the graph begins at 0.4k and not at 0k in the Y-Axis. If you normalize it you'd see little progress near the end of the chart.

The metric that Microsoft uses is "hundreds per million devices" suggesting that one has to multiply the values with 100 to get the right number of incidents. If that is the case, that 0.4k figure would actually be 40k per one million devices instead or 4% of the entire population.

Fortin throws in some big numbers to highlight how diverse the Windows landscape is.

With Windows 10 alone we work to deliver quality to over 700 million monthly active Windows 10 devices, over 35 million application titles with greater than 175 million application versions, and 16 million unique hardware/driver combinations. In addition, the ecosystem delivers new drivers, firmware, application updates and/or non-security updates daily.

One has to wonder whether that approach -- we are doing better than ever -- is the right approach after the release of a feature update that had to be paused for six weeks due to data loss issues and other issues.

Microsoft promises to be more transparent about the updating process and quality testing, but it made the same promise previously and it did not help address the underlying issue. In other words: the perception of quality that a, seemingly, growing number of users and administrators have is at odds with Microsoft's data driven approach to quality.

Closing Words

Microsoft needs to rethink the rapid update process and re-hire quality testers that it let go to show users, administrators and organizations that it is serious about improving the quality of the operating system.

I have doubts that things would get better otherwise.

Now You: What is your take on this?

Ghacks needs you. You can find out how to support us here or support the site directly by becoming a Patreon. Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post Microsoft: update quality is better than ever appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, Nov 14, 2018
  2. Steve C Win User

Quality Update List Size

View Update History categorises Windows updates. Is the Quality Updates list truncated to the last 50 entries? My list contained 50 entries for MS Office 2010 which I just reinstalled but I noted KB4100347 was missing. I reinstalled KB4100347 and there are still 50 entries now including KB4100347 when I expected the list to increment to 51 entries.

Can the size of the displayed Quality Update list be increased if it is truncated by default to 50 entries?

Steve C, Nov 14, 2018
  3. Brink Win User
    .NET Framework May 2018 Preview of Quality Rollup for Windows 10

Source: .NET Framework May 2018 Preview of Quality Rollup for Windows 10 | .NET Blog

Brink, Nov 14, 2018
  4. 3Colors Win User

Windows Updated(16299.309).KB4088776 Restart is required to complete.

Hi dalchina. Good news, I followed your suggestion and reinstalled the update and now it appears as "installed correctly" *Biggrin Maybe it was not necessary to run the Windows Update Troubleshooter or maybe if necessary. But using it I do not think it could have worsened something. The installation was very fast, unlike the first time it showed step 1 and step 2 completed.

Thanks for the suggestions and for the time to respond Microsoft: update quality is better than ever :) Best regards.

And thanks for the tip of that program, I'll have it on my list.

3Colors, Nov 14, 2018
Thema:

1. Microsoft: update quality is better than ever - Similar Threads - Microsoft update quality

2. Mic quality is better on linux

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Mic quality is better on linux: I recently got my brand new hyperx quadcast and when I plugged it in and tested it was so bad..Then I tested the mic on my linuxsame laptop, Im dualbooting ubuntu and windows 11 it was great. I have no idea whats the problem is can some one help me?...
  3. Mic quality is better on linux

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Mic quality is better on linux: I recently got my brand new hyperx quadcast and when I plugged it in and tested it was so bad..Then I tested the mic on my linuxsame laptop, Im dualbooting ubuntu and windows 11 it was great. I have no idea whats the problem is can some one help me?...
  4. is cortana better than alexa

in Windows 10 Gaming
    is cortana better than alexa: I need to set up Cortana or Alexa I know which one to use https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-cortana-better-than-alexa/415fa570-41d8-4a86-92e1-423af2e72035
  5. is cortana better than alexa

is cortana better than alexa: I need to set up Cortana or Alexa I know which one to use https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-cortana-better-than-alexa/415fa570-41d8-4a86-92e1-423af2e72035
  6. Seems better than ever

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Seems better than ever: The problem-free performance of my Win11 has always been very good... fast, snappy & smooth. But I swear since moving to 22H2 it is or seems to be even more so... I do not believe I am imagining it be even quicker & more responsive than ever after moving to 22H2. Has anyone...
  7. Seems better than ever

Seems better than ever: The problem-free performance of my Win11 has always been very good... fast, snappy & smooth. But I swear since moving to 22H2 it is or seems to be even more so... I do not believe I am imagining it be even quicker & more responsive than ever after moving to 22H2. Has anyone...
  8. Microsoft: device driver quality is better than ever

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft: device driver quality is better than ever: Microsoft revealed last month that the Windows 10 update quality improved a lot since the release of the operating system in July 2015. The article was published as part of a series of articles to improve transparency in regards to updates for Windows. Michael Fortin,...
  9. Windows 10 Maps updates make inking better than ever

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 Maps updates make inking better than ever: On the Maps team, we are always working to improve the maps experience and deliver more than a simple tool to get you where you need to go. We want to help you discover the world around you and deliver the best personal map and navigation experiences so you can get there your...
  10. Get better quality video with Microsoft Edge

in Windows 10 News
    Get better quality video with Microsoft Edge: When it comes to video, the closer to the hardware, the better. From video hardware acceleration to PlayReady Content Protection and the Protected Media Path, Windows 10 is designed to provide the highest quality, most secure, and most power-efficient video playback available...