Windows 10: Microsoft Updates and patches on a single PC: Comprehensive or User-Specific?

Discus and support Microsoft Updates and patches on a single PC: Comprehensive or User-Specific? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I've been gifted the Desktop Support hat in a small business and have recommended, as part of our cybersecurity plan, establishing Local User Accounts... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Coz&Affect, Sep 21, 2022.

1. Microsoft Updates and patches on a single PC: Comprehensive or User-Specific?

I've been gifted the Desktop Support hat in a small business and have recommended, as part of our cybersecurity plan, establishing Local User Accounts for everyday use, and keeping Administrator Accounts in reserve for things like GPO edits. Our business depends on regular patches to software as well as the routine Microsoft updates. The owner worries that having different accounts might mess up these routine updates and patches.Are Microsoft updates and patches applied to a PC across all User accounts, or are they User Account specific? Is there a way to make them comprehensive if they are

:)

Coz&Affect, Sep 21, 2022
  2. deving Win User

User.000 issue after updating to 1909

I'm one of the many people suffering from issues with user profiles after applying Update 1909 to Windows 10. I've read all the threads I can find on the topic here and have followed the suggestions, all to no avail. Any other thoughts are appreciated.

After applying Update 1909, the ProfileImagePath was changed to c:\users\User.000
    One file that was always in use and couldn't be removed was left in c:\users\User (can't recall or find the exact file now), so I could never rename or remove the c:\user\User directory.

I followed the multiple suggestions from Brink and others:
    • Rebooted at least 6 times
    • Enabled hidden Administrator
    • Booted into Safe Mode
    • Changed ProfileImagePath
    • Tried to rename c:\users\User but couldn't because a file was still in use
    • Copied all data from c:\users\User.000 into c:\users\User
    • Rebooted and had temporary profile
    • Followed steps in Brink tutorial to change ImageProfilePath; rebooted with no change
    • Restored using Restore Point from before Update 1909 - returned to single profile state (User.000)
    • Removed each update that was installed individually and rebooted after each update removal - profile state never changed
    • After all updates were removed, repeated the steps above with hidden Administrator, changing profile, etc. - same issue with file in use in c:\users\User
    • Followed all steps above with hidden Administrator but without copying files from User.000 to User - same results

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

deving, Sep 21, 2022
  3. Microsoft Pushes New Software-Based Spectre, Meltdown Mitigation Patches

The Spectre/Meltdown road is long and pocked with lawsuits and security holes as it is, and Microsoft is one of the players that's trying to put the asphalt back to tip-top, Autobahn-worth shape. The company has already improved users' security to the Meltdown and Spectre exploits on its OS side; however, hardware patches, and specifically BIOS-editing ones are much harder to deploy and distribute by the PC chain. That may be one of the reasons why Microsoft is now again stepping up with software-based mitigations for Intel-based systems, specifically.

The new updates introduce a software-based CPU microcode revision update, and work at the OS-level to plug some security holes on your Intel processors that might otherwise remain unpatched. The reasons for them remaining unpatched can be many: either Intel taking even more time to deploy patches to the still vulnerable systems; your OEMs not deploying the Intel CPU microcode revisions via a BIOS update; or the good old "I forgot I could do it" user story. Of course, being software based means these Microsoft patches will have to be reapplied should users format their Windows system. The update can for now only be manually downloaded and installed, and can only be applied to version 1709 (Fall Creators Update) and Windows Server version 1709 (Server Core), but that's definitely better than the alternative of forcing less knowledgeable users to try and find their way through BIOS updates. Of course, that is assuming OEMs will ever push BIOS updates to their products.

Microsoft Updates and patches on a single PC: Comprehensive or User-Specific? WYndzr3RkmvNlRy7_thm.jpg

Microsoft Updates and patches on a single PC: Comprehensive or User-Specific? kSEWMsxuwNUg54TI_thm.jpg

Raevenlord, Sep 21, 2022
  4. malware Win User

Microsoft Updates and patches on a single PC: Comprehensive or User-Specific?

Microsoft Issues Updated Animated Cursor Patch

Microsoft has released an updated version of its MS07-017 patch that fixes some incompatibility problems with the animated cursor vulnerability patch. Early installers of the original 925902(MS07-017) patch that was issued on Tuesday reported seeing error messages with their Realtek HD Audio Control panel. In addition to Realtek, users of three lesser known programs could be affected. Those programs are ElsterFormular, TUGZip and CD-Tag. Microsoft says the problem appears because of the user32.dll and the hhctrl.ocx files have the same memory address after the patch. You can download the updated 935448 patch from here.

Source: TG Daily

malware, Sep 21, 2022
Thema:

Microsoft Updates and patches on a single PC: Comprehensive or User-Specific?

1. Microsoft Updates and patches on a single PC: Comprehensive or User-Specific? - Similar Threads - Microsoft Updates patches

2. Microsoft Patch Update Issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft Patch Update Issue: Hi, Please make me learn something about patch update. As on my SIEM my windows agent give me critical alert for not installing the following updateKB4011715 patch is not installed KB5029244 patch is not installed KB5022282 patch is not installed KB5021233 patch is not...
  3. Microsoft Patch Update Issue

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microsoft Patch Update Issue: Hi, Please make me learn something about patch update. As on my SIEM my windows agent give me critical alert for not installing the following updateKB4011715 patch is not installed KB5029244 patch is not installed KB5022282 patch is not installed KB5021233 patch is not...
  4. Microsoft Patch Update Issue

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. Are there any official patches or updates from Microsoft specifically targeting the 8.3...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Are there any official patches or updates from Microsoft specifically targeting the 8.3...: Hello everyone,I recently came across the Windows Short 8.3 Filename vulnerability and its potential security implications for Microsoft IIS servers. After researching the topic, I found that disabling 8.3 filenames through a registry key is the recommended mitigation...
  6. Are there any official patches or updates from Microsoft specifically targeting the 8.3...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Are there any official patches or updates from Microsoft specifically targeting the 8.3...: Hello everyone,I recently came across the Windows Short 8.3 Filename vulnerability and its potential security implications for Microsoft IIS servers. After researching the topic, I found that disabling 8.3 filenames through a registry key is the recommended mitigation...
  7. Microsoft Updates and patches on a single PC: Comprehensive or User-Specific?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft Updates and patches on a single PC: Comprehensive or User-Specific?: I've been gifted the Desktop Support hat in a small business and have recommended, as part of our cybersecurity plan, establishing Local User Accounts for everyday use, and keeping Administrator Accounts in reserve for things like GPO edits. Our business depends on regular...
  8. Microsoft Updates and patches on a single PC: Comprehensive or User-Specific?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Microsoft Updates and patches on a single PC: Comprehensive or User-Specific?: I've been gifted the Desktop Support hat in a small business and have recommended, as part of our cybersecurity plan, establishing Local User Accounts for everyday use, and keeping Administrator Accounts in reserve for things like GPO edits. Our business depends on regular...
  9. Update Id for Microsoft Patch

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Update Id for Microsoft Patch: I would like to know why is it KB5004945 has 2 different update id?When i search online i get 0a0c4d05-c66e-4ce6-8f8d-346267840f85when i use the offline cab file scan i get B5B70FA0-8957-4114-9311-4C32D3BE5434is update id for online and offline always different?RegardsMorgan...
  10. Comprehensive User's Guide for Windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    Comprehensive User's Guide for Windows 10: I am looking for a comprehensive users manual for Windows 10. I have Windows 10 for Dummies, and there is much information that is not there. Is there a book out there that covers almost everything, but that us beginners can understand ??? 34238