Windows 10: Microsoft uploads PC details without consent

Discus and support Microsoft uploads PC details without consent in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I have a Microsoft account that I use with an Outlook 2016 client as well as in the Windows 10 Mail app but nothing else, i.e no Find My Device, no... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by KurtHazelback, Aug 8, 2019.

1. Microsoft uploads PC details without consent

I have a Microsoft account that I use with an Outlook 2016 client as well as in the Windows 10 Mail app but nothing else, i.e no Find My Device, no sharing of content across devices, no store purchases, no Cortana nor anything else. I sign in to my Windows 10 PC using a local account and I have specifically selected the option ‘Apps need to ask me to use this account’ under account settings.

Recently I signed in to my MS account in a browser and to my surprise there is a tab called Devices where a whole lot of information is listed about my PC, such as PC name, disks and partitions as well as their labels, space used and whether BitLocker is used or not. Obviously these details are incorrectly associated with the account. They can be deleted only to appear again after some time.

I can see that this information may somehow be required when sharing content or perhaps when using a MS account to sign in locally. In my use case though, besides being an obvious security issue, it really seems like a pretty serious privacy breach as I have never given permissions for MS to upload these details to their servers. It also begs the question what other information is uploaded without my consent?

I would appreciate if someone from Microsoft who is familiar with this could tell me what is going on here.

Cheers

:)

KurtHazelback, Aug 8, 2019

2. Microsoft uploads PC details without consent

Haha, you're right, life as far as privacy in general and staying secure online really is a continuous question of compromises these days.

I'm sure many people go to extremes such as paying for everything with cash and using Tor for any online interaction. I'm not one of those.

However, my question relates specifically to Microsoft uploading details that I never given consent to being collected (as far as I know). They then associate these details with an account that in no way is bound to the details, at least no more than if
    the same details would be collected the same way if I checked my email in an Internet Cafe or similar.

The key issue here is consent, as is the reason for the Cambridge Analytica backlash and the implementation of GDPR and other crackdown on data collection.

I have no issue at all with the use of any data I may provide as long as I have specifically given consent to it being collected and used according to published
    TOS.

KurtHazelback, Sep 28, 2019
  3. Microsoft uploads PC details without consent

I have a Microsoft account that I use with an Outlook 2016 client as well as in the Windows 10 Mail app but nothing else, i.e no Find My Device, no sharing of content across devices, no store purchases, no Cortana nor anything else. I sign in to my Windows
    10 PC using a local account and I have specifically selected the option ‘Apps need to ask me to use this account’ under account settings.

Recently I signed in to my MS account in a browser and to my surprise there is a tab called Devices where a whole lot of information is listed about my PC, such as PC name, disks and partitions as well as their labels, space used and whether BitLocker is
    used or not. Obviously these details are incorrectly associated with the account. They can be deleted only to appear again after some time.

I can see that this information may somehow be required when sharing content or perhaps when using a MS account to sign in locally. In my use case though, besides being an obvious security issue, it really seems like a pretty serious privacy breach as I
    have never given permissions for MS to upload these details to their servers. It also begs the question what other information is uploaded without my consent?

I would appreciate if someone from Microsoft who is familiar with this could tell me what is going on here.

Cheers

KurtHazelback, Sep 28, 2019
  4. Microsoft uploads PC details without consent

Microsoft uploads PC details without consent

Hi Kurt

When you say you have deleted the device info but it comes back, was it through the following steps?

Go to account.microsoft.com/devices, sign in, and find the device you want to remove.

Select Show details to see info for that device.

Under your device's name, select More actions > Remove.

Review your device details, select the check box, I'm ready to remove this device, then select Remove.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/402644...

TechGuy_82, Sep 28, 2019
Thema:

Microsoft uploads PC details without consent

1. Microsoft uploads PC details without consent - Similar Threads - Microsoft uploads details

2. Stop installing software without consent

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Stop installing software without consent: I turned my laptop on this morning to find it chugging and almost falling over. I am in the middle of a large render process and running close to my maximum disk space. After investigating why it was chugging along, I found Windows did an automatically installation of...
  3. Windows 11 installed without consent

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 installed without consent: Windows 11 has been trying to force itself onto me for years. For years, I've refused, annoyed at the stupid screen telling me "Setting up" "Almost ready" to then ask me whether I want to install office and whether I want to "upgrade" to windows 11. The last day, an update...
  4. RANT: OneDrive enabled without consent

in Windows 10 Gaming
    RANT: OneDrive enabled without consent: /rant ONWhy the hell did I find OneDrive enabled and syncing my desktop & documents folder without my consent?And why for the love of everything removing those 2 folders from the synched folders deleted all of my desktop stuff?Please, stop harassing users with this kind of...
  5. Profile photo changed without consent

Profile photo changed without consent: I have never set a profile photo on Windows or on my Microsoft account, but this morning when I logged in to my computer I found that, without my consent, the system was using the profile photo from my website, and that this was also appearing as my profile photo in my...
  6. Microsoft is automatically uploading my saved files to onedrive without my consent and I...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft is automatically uploading my saved files to onedrive without my consent and I...: I recently discovered that Onedrive is copying all files I save on my devices that are all linked. I have never used OneDrive or downloaded it's app, so I was shocked to know that hundreds of my personal files now exist on Onedrive. I can follow a link to my files. I can...
  7. Microsoft is automatically uploading my saved files to onedrive without my consent and I...

Microsoft is automatically uploading my saved files to onedrive without my consent and I...: I recently discovered that Onedrive is copying all files I save on my devices that are all linked. I have never used OneDrive or downloaded it's app, so I was shocked to know that hundreds of my personal files now exist on Onedrive. I can follow a link to my files. I can...
  8. Onedrive saving data without consent

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Onedrive saving data without consent: Hi,How can I stop Onedrive from saving my files without my consent?I have tried my best to remove Onedrive access to my windows account but do use it for a separate Student account for college work. The separate onedrive account works and successfully saves my college work...
  9. Onedrive saving data without consent

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Onedrive saving data without consent: Hi,How can I stop Onedrive from saving my files without my consent?I have tried my best to remove Onedrive access to my windows account but do use it for a separate Student account for college work. The separate onedrive account works and successfully saves my college work...
  10. Without my consent.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Without my consent.: I scheduled the latest Windows Update for sometime next week. I woke up this morning with my computer in the middle of the update. I had to access some files for work but couldn't. Windows Update acted without my consent. I took the time to verify twice that the scheduled...