Windows 10: Microsoft uploads PC details without consent

Discus and support Microsoft uploads PC details without consent in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I have a Microsoft account that I use with an Outlook 2016 client as well as in the Windows 10 Mail app but nothing else, i.e no Find My Device, no... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by KurtHazelback, Aug 8, 2019.

1. Microsoft uploads PC details without consent

I have a Microsoft account that I use with an Outlook 2016 client as well as in the Windows 10 Mail app but nothing else, i.e no Find My Device, no sharing of content across devices, no store purchases, no Cortana nor anything else. I sign in to my Windows 10 PC using a local account and I have specifically selected the option ‘Apps need to ask me to use this account’ under account settings.

Recently I signed in to my MS account in a browser and to my surprise there is a tab called Devices where a whole lot of information is listed about my PC, such as PC name, disks and partitions as well as their labels, space used and whether BitLocker is used or not. Obviously these details are incorrectly associated with the account. They can be deleted only to appear again after some time.

I can see that this information may somehow be required when sharing content or perhaps when using a MS account to sign in locally. In my use case though, besides being an obvious security issue, it really seems like a pretty serious privacy breach as I have never given permissions for MS to upload these details to their servers. It also begs the question what other information is uploaded without my consent?

I would appreciate if someone from Microsoft who is familiar with this could tell me what is going on here.

Cheers

:)

KurtHazelback, Aug 8, 2019
Thema:

Microsoft uploads PC details without consent

1. Microsoft uploads PC details without consent - Similar Threads - Microsoft uploads details

2. Changing the details on a Microsoft Invoice

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Changing the details on a Microsoft Invoice: Today, I have changed my details into those of my wife as she is registered as self employed in Spain and we need the invoice for her accounts. The invoice has been issued how can I get it changed? Many thanks...
  3. I hate Windows 10 restarting automatically without my consent

in Windows 10 Customization
    I hate Windows 10 restarting automatically without my consent: I hate that Windows 10 restarts automatically without my consent just to install new updates I didnt asked for. It made me lost a day of work and I just have to write everything I had worked for all over again. I do not want to hear the excuse of "You didn't save your work?"....
  4. Resetting microsoft account details

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Resetting microsoft account details: My father in law is almost 95 & has some memory issues related to age & medication. I'm trying to set-up Dad's laptop for his son to use, as it's been sitting idle for some time now. Dad can no longer recall any of his passwords & as a result I've had no luck with changing...
  5. Windows 10 upgrade without consent, and NO EULA was issued

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 upgrade without consent, and NO EULA was issued: I use my computer mainly for use with HAM Radio and satellite tracking, there are some legacy programs that are barely runnable in Win7 and won't run at all on Win10. I have already tried a WIN10 PC and could not get my software to work correctly. While we were doing an...
  6. Without my consent.

Without my consent.: I scheduled the latest Windows Update for sometime next week. I woke up this morning with my computer in the middle of the update. I had to access some files for work but couldn't. Windows Update acted without my consent. I took the time to verify twice that the scheduled...
  7. Windows 10 Mail automatically downloaded infected attachment without consent

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 Mail automatically downloaded infected attachment without consent: Windows 10 Mail automatically downloaded a PDF attachment infected with a trojan virus from a phishing email. The file was saved onto my hard drive in LocalState user files where I later found other benign attachments collected. My current theory is that Mail caches all...
  8. Windows 10 reformats my drive without my consent

Windows 10 reformats my drive without my consent: How did you guys do the recovery drive function??? This is garbage!!! Okay, you first tell me that I better create one, so I plug in my backup drive with my stuff Then you tell me you need to reformat my drive before start, I click no. Why the hell are you reformatting...
  9. Fresh install - windows is installing stuff without my consent ?

in Windows 10 Support
    Fresh install - windows is installing stuff without my consent ?: Hey Frustrating. Installed windows + anti virus and from nowhere a pop up window showed up to install Razer Synapse. How why is windows installing stuff without my approval? Where can I disable that invasive functionality? I pretty much want to disable any/all automatic...
  10. Microsoft pushes Windows 10 upgrade to PCs without user consent

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft pushes Windows 10 upgrade to PCs without user consent: OUCH! But that upgrade over one 7 install didn't go so well! First a look a the report! Microsoft pushes Windows 10 upgrade to PCs without user consent [img] Confirms it has been silently downloading massive upgrade to Windows machines via automatic...