Windows 10: Microsoft wants to close the UWP and Win32 divide with Windows Apps

Discus and support Microsoft wants to close the UWP and Win32 divide with Windows Apps in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Is Microsoft's UWP going away? Is the Microsoft Store on its way out? Microsoft Corporate VP Kevin Gallo explains the latest twists in Microsoft's long... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Brink, May 9, 2019.

1. Brink Win User

Microsoft wants to close the UWP and Win32 divide with Windows Apps

Read more:

:)

Brink, May 9, 2019

2. Microsoft Adds Ability to Block Win32 Apps from Install on Windows 10

Aren't pointers functions of the language? Or am I confusing pointers?

Shihabyooo, May 9, 2019
  3. Microsoft Adds Ability to Block Win32 Apps from Install on Windows 10

That's actually a certainty already. Microsoft wants to create a competing product against Chromebook. I'm sure this is one of the features that bring them closer to that.

UWP is "significantly slower" than Win32. Probably 10-30%. UWP is completely managed (memory pointers are forbidden) like .NET Framework is. They're very closely linked. UWP can be made to run on any processor architecture (ARM, x86, and AMD64 right now). I believe UWP has a path for emulating Win32 too (they demonstrated this in a Windows Phone 10 feature).

FordGT90Concept, May 9, 2019
  4. Microsoft wants to close the UWP and Win32 divide with Windows Apps

Microsoft Adds Ability to Block Win32 Apps from Install on Windows 10

I think Microsoft is aiming more for a 60/40 ecosystem where the majority of users are on UWP, because that's all they need, and the rest are professionals and power users that sparingly use UWP. I don't think Microsoft expects to eliminate Win32 any time soon simply because the performance differences make it impractical. Case in point: compare the UWP versions of Office programs to the Win32 version of Office. The former is good when you're mobile, the latter is good when you're stationary. The capabilities of the latter far exceed the former.

FordGT90Concept, May 9, 2019
Thema:

Microsoft wants to close the UWP and Win32 divide with Windows Apps

1. Microsoft wants to close the UWP and Win32 divide with Windows Apps - Similar Threads - Microsoft wants close

2. WiFi Direct Windows10 UWP Win32

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    WiFi Direct Windows10 UWP Win32: I'm trying to call WinRT library in a win32 application to implement a file transferring function with wifi direct. the function WiFiDirectDevice.FromIdAsync(connectionRequest.DeviceInformation.Id) works well in the UWP application, but it always returns null in the win32...
  3. All UWP apps close after I lock the computer then unlock the computer

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    All UWP apps close after I lock the computer then unlock the computer: After I lock my computer, then unlock it, all UWP apps have closed including Edge, Calendar, OneNote etc. Can anyone help please? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/all-uwp-apps-close-after-i-lock-the-computer-then/356bed80-e0f4-4a13-91e2-1b4e50e84e3f
  4. UWP Apps not opening

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    UWP Apps not opening: Hello, I changed the permissions of the WindowsApps folder, as i was trying to edit some of the files, however now the apps will not open. I am sure that this is not due to me modifying any files. Is there a way to restore the permissions, or what permissions need to be...
  5. Want to Uninstall Microsoft Email App.

in Browsers and Email
    Want to Uninstall Microsoft Email App.: Here is my question, my Windows 10 does not give me the option to uninstall Mail. (see images below Admin & User). Notice the move and uninstall buttons are "greyed out" or do not function. Also not sure why User has 313 MB and Admin 150 MB in size other than User account...
  6. Microsoft Edge - Do You Want To Close All Tabs

in Browsers and Email
    Microsoft Edge - Do You Want To Close All Tabs: Hi All, I accidently put a tick in "Always Close All Tabs" when closing down Edge, how can I change this back as I don't want this setting, I thought it might be called "warnonclose" like IE within the Registry, however this is not the case. I cannot see within the...
  7. CCleaner Wants to Close Edge

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    CCleaner Wants to Close Edge: I'm not using Edge but I am using IE 11. Any idea why CCleaner wants to close Edge ever time I run the cleaner?? If I'm not using it why is it open? James 47521
  8. UWP App Diagnostics in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    UWP App Diagnostics in Windows 10: At Build this year, we gave a sneak preview of a set of new APIs designed to provide diagnostic information about running apps. You can see the videos hereand here – but note that these were based on a pre-release implementation. So, while the Build videos are still correct...
  9. Kickstart UWP app creation with Windows App Studio’s open source UWP..

in Windows 10 News
    Kickstart UWP app creation with Windows App Studio’s open source UWP..: Windows App Studio is all about making it as easy as possible to build apps for Windows. The online tool helps you build apps with no coding required, so you can either start your project there and extend it in Visual Studio, or you can create and build the app completely in...
  10. The Lifecycle of a UWP App

in Windows 10 News
    The Lifecycle of a UWP App: Lifecycle management in a Universal Windows Platform (UWP) app is critical for the efficient use of battery power and memory. When done correctly, it allows the user to multitask between apps without needing to know anything about these resource optimizations. Today’s post...