Windows 10: Microsoft warns Windows 10 bug behind black screen, browser data loss

Discus and support Microsoft warns Windows 10 bug behind black screen, browser data loss in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Earlier this year, Microsoft released Windows 10 May 2020 Update with Windows Sandbox improvements, Cloud Recovery, and more. Last month, Microsoft... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinLatest, Nov 5, 2020.

1. WinLatest New Member

Microsoft warns Windows 10 bug behind black screen, browser data loss

Earlier this year, Microsoft released Windows 10 May 2020 Update with Windows Sandbox improvements, Cloud Recovery, and more. Last month, Microsoft shipped another feature update called “October 2020 Update”, but there’s at least one underlying issue that remains unpatched and it’s now hitting more users.

In a new support document, Microsoft confirmed that a bug in Windows 10 version 2004 was behind black screen issue. The black screen issue was primarily observed on external monitors and it also affected Office productivity suite, but some users reported similar issues on their primary monitor.

A new cumulative update, which is currently available via Windows Update, finally fixes the black screen woes. The problem was first reported in May and it was causing the screen to go black primarily when drawing using an Office app.

The fix also applies to Windows 10 October 2020 Update because both the operating systems share the same core components.

Browser data loss bug

Windows 10 version 2004 and newer are also plagued with notable issues for Chromium browser and Microsoft’s own apps. Following the May 2020 Update, users have been reporting that Chrome and Edge browsers have stopped sycning their data, and their browsing data is reset automatically upon a reboot.

In August, Microsoft sources told us that the company is aware of the issues and actively investigating the root cause, but the problem remains unresolved as of November 2020.

Over the past few weeks, more users started reporting that Windows 10 is deleting cookies off of their devices. When this happens, Chrome or other apps will ask users to sign in upon every since reboot.

Microsoft and Google both are aware of the problem, and the fix is expected to arrive later this year.

“We (Microsoft) are working on a fix for this issue, but due to the nature of WindowsUpdates, it will, unfortunately, be a while longer until we can release it via a monthly servicing update,” Microsoft said.

For now, there’s no proper fix, but you can try to mitigate the problem by deleting tasks from Windows 10’s Task Scheduler.

As we reported earlier this week, Microsoft is also aware of issues with Office updates in Windows 10 and broken sleep mode.

The post Microsoft warns Windows 10 bug behind black screen, browser data loss appeared first on Windows Latest

Weiterlesen...

WinLatest, Nov 5, 2020

2. Microsoft to Introduce Telemetry Data Viewer for Windows

Remember all that talk and noise regarding Microsoft's "automagical" telemetry data collection, and how that spurred the company to create a "telemetry-less" version of its Windows 10 operating system for the Chinese market? It seems Microsoft is keen to keep giving users more information on exactly what information is gathered and when - slowly but assuredly striving for greater transparency, and looking to garner increased trust from consumers and enterprises alike.

The much awaited capability is being baked in to the next major Windows 10 release, and Microsoft is giving Windows Insiders an early preview of the Windows Diagnostic Data Viewer utility. Adding to this new utility are some changes to the Microsoft Privacy Dashboard that will enable users to see and manage more data associated with their Microsoft accounts. Available to everyone in the Microsoft Store, the Diagnostic Data Viewer is separate from the Microsoft Privacy Dashboard, and "allows you to see, search, and take action with your diagnostic data." It's not clear yet what sort of telemetry features users will be able to stop Microsoft from collecting, if any. However, at least now you'll be able to look at exactly which processes and services are collecting data form your system. The diagnostic data that will be viewable in the new utility follows.

Microsoft warns Windows 10 bug behind black screen, browser data loss yDvisPRlBWJ8AKA6_thm.jpg

• Common Data, like the Operating System's name, the Version, Device ID, Device Class, Diagnostic level selection and so on.
    • Device Connectivity and Configuration such as device properties and capabilities, preferences and settings, peripherals, and device network information.
    • Product and Service Performance data that show device health, performance and reliability data, movie consumption functionality on the device and device file queries. It's important to note that this functionality is not intended to capture user viewing or, listening habits.
    • Product and Service Usage data includes details about the usage of the device, operating system, applications, and services.
    • Software Setup and Inventory such as installed applications and install history, device update information.
    Microsoft Privacy Dashboard
    Updates to the Microsoft Privacy Dashboard include a new Activity History page, which aims to provide a clear and easy to navigate way to see the data that is saved with users' Microsoft accounts. The Microsoft Privacy Dashboard further allows users to manage their data and change what data is collected by adjusting the privacy settings on their devices or browser at any time.

In the coming months, Microsoft will keep the slow roll-out of additional features that will allow users to:
    • View and manage media consumption data, as well as product and service activity on the Activity History page
    • Export for any of the data you see on the dashboard
    • Delete specific items to allow for greater individual control

Raevenlord, Nov 5, 2020
  3. Peer_Sam Win User
    Black screen after Windows update.

Hi Crystel,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

• Were you able to get to the desktop screen after you restarted the system?
    • When the screen was blank, were you able to see the cursor on the screen?
    • Did you get any error code or error message?

Please get back to us with answers to above questions, for us to suggest the appropriate troubleshooting steps.

Meanwhile, I suggest to try the steps mentioned in the article below and let us know if it helps.

Troubleshoot black screen or blank screen errors

We look forward for your reply.

Thanks,

Peer Samie

Microsoft Community-Moderator

Peer_Sam, Nov 5, 2020
  4. Dadicator Win User

Black Screen after Log on

Laptop or Desktop (Very important) Windows 10 build 14.586 has a very annoying BUG: That causes Black Screen after login:
    To date there is no cure until Microsoft send Update to fix the problem: OK here goes: When you Login and the Screen Goes Black ==>
    Go to your Function Keys for Screen Brightness Chose to Lighten the Screen (This will make the screen Bright) so that you can view it.
    The BUG is that they reversed (via Software) what the Brightness button does -- So it is currently reversed -- "Lighten" makes it Dark -- "Darken" makes it Bright ==> Go figure Microsoft screw the pooch on this one. . . .

This is for LAPTOP -- I have never seen this on Desktops but they are fixed rather than adjustable

Dadicator, Nov 5, 2020
Thema:

1. Microsoft warns Windows 10 bug behind black screen, browser data loss - Similar Threads - Microsoft warns bug

2. Windows data loss

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows data loss: I accidentally closed my PC while it was configuring Windows and now I can't open specific apps like Google Play or else the PC will crash. How do i fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-data-loss/fb8a3461-85e4-4b48-8b14-587a552bed8e
  3. Windows data loss

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows data loss: I accidentally closed my PC while it was configuring Windows and now I can't open specific apps like Google Play or else the PC will crash. How do i fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-data-loss/fb8a3461-85e4-4b48-8b14-587a552bed8e
  4. Windows data loss

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Loss of data

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Loss of data: I recently signed into my schools Microsoft account on my personal computer. I managed to sign in and could use all of the facilities they offer. However, i decided to sign out of my schools Microsoft account and upon returning to my homepage I lost all of my data. I then...
  6. Loss of data

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Loss of data: I recently signed into my schools Microsoft account on my personal computer. I managed to sign in and could use all of the facilities they offer. However, i decided to sign out of my schools Microsoft account and upon returning to my homepage I lost all of my data. I then...
  7. data loss

data loss: I deleted one of the user accounts on my pc and all the data is also deleted. how can i find my data back? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/data-loss/2db3f703-7bc9-4ab2-a55a-be585a53e095
  8. Data loss

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Data loss: My pc keeps losing it data and i dont know why do you think i need a new hard drive? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/data-loss/30dd6610-a132-4f58-981e-760aa20451ef
  9. Data loss

Data loss: I really need help my pc keeps loosing all of its data and i have to reinstall windows again and again and i don’t know the problem this is the 5th time its happened it only happens when i restart my pc its not every time only some times...
  10. Microsoft warns enterprises to upgrade to Windows 10 or be left behind

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft warns enterprises to upgrade to Windows 10 or be left behind: Windows 10 is needed to leverage any new chipsets from the likes of Intel, AMD, and Qualcomm Microsoft is in a difficult position at the moment. The company needs Windows 10 to take off, both to meet their goal of a billion Windows 10 users and thus solidify their...