Windows 10: Microsoft will change Diagnostic Data (Telemetry) Naming in Windows 10

Discus and support Microsoft will change Diagnostic Data (Telemetry) Naming in Windows 10 in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Microsoft released a new build to the Windows 10 Insider channel recently which brings the build number to 19577. The accompanying blog post... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Mar 7, 2020.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

Microsoft will change Diagnostic Data (Telemetry) Naming in Windows 10

Microsoft released a new build to the Windows 10 Insider channel recently which brings the build number to 19577.

The accompanying blog post highlights the changes in that version and the very first entry reveals that Microsoft will change diagnostic data naming in future versions of Windows 10.

Windows 10's Settings application lists two different diagnostic data levels currently. The levels, Basic and Full, determine how much data is collected and transferred to Microsoft. Generally known as Telemetry data, it has been at the center of controversy surrounding Microsoft's Windows 10 operating system.

Tip: check out our overview of privacy tools for Windows 10.

Microsoft will change Diagnostic Data (Telemetry) Naming in Windows 10 windows-10-telemetry-660x389.jpg

According to the announcement, both Basic and Full settings will be renamed in upcoming versions of Windows 10 starting with Insider versions this month (subject to change). Basic will be renamed to required, and full to optional.

The company notes:

As part of the Microsoft initiative to increase transparency and control over data, we’re making some changes to the Settings app and Group Policy settings that will start showing up in Windows Insider builds this month. Basic diagnostic data is now known as Required diagnostic data and Full diagnostic data is now Optional diagnostic data.

A post on Microsoft's answers forum reveals plans to change the Enterprise-only Telemetry levels Security and Enhanced as well. According to it, Enhanced is going to be removed and Security renamed to Diagnostic Data Off.

• Security diagnostic data becomes Daignostic Data Off.
    • Basic diagnostic data becomes Required diagnostic data.
    • Enhanced diagnostic data is removed.
    • Full diagnostic data becomes Optional diagnostic data.

Microsoft will provide "more granular" Group Policy settings to commercial customers to better configure the data that is collected in the organization. Details about these improved Group Policy settings have not been published yet but will be made available "closer to the retail release".

Organizations who have set diagnostic data collecting to Enhanced, one of the options only available in Enterprise editions of Windows 10, need to change the level on PCs running Insider builds as these won't be provided with future flights if diagnostic data collecting is set to Enhanced.

To continue receiving Insider build updates, devices need to be set to Full diagnostic data (Optional diagnostic data).

It appears that the planned changes only affect the names of the diagnostic data levels but not what is being collected. The only change to that comes in the form of new Group Policy options that organizations will have access to.

Now You: What is your take on the change?

Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post Microsoft will change Diagnostic Data (Telemetry) Naming in Windows 10 appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, Mar 7, 2020

2. Microsoft to Introduce Telemetry Data Viewer for Windows

Remember all that talk and noise regarding Microsoft's "automagical" telemetry data collection, and how that spurred the company to create a "telemetry-less" version of its Windows 10 operating system for the Chinese market? It seems Microsoft is keen to keep giving users more information on exactly what information is gathered and when - slowly but assuredly striving for greater transparency, and looking to garner increased trust from consumers and enterprises alike.

The much awaited capability is being baked in to the next major Windows 10 release, and Microsoft is giving Windows Insiders an early preview of the Windows Diagnostic Data Viewer utility. Adding to this new utility are some changes to the Microsoft Privacy Dashboard that will enable users to see and manage more data associated with their Microsoft accounts. Available to everyone in the Microsoft Store, the Diagnostic Data Viewer is separate from the Microsoft Privacy Dashboard, and "allows you to see, search, and take action with your diagnostic data." It's not clear yet what sort of telemetry features users will be able to stop Microsoft from collecting, if any. However, at least now you'll be able to look at exactly which processes and services are collecting data form your system. The diagnostic data that will be viewable in the new utility follows.

Microsoft will change Diagnostic Data (Telemetry) Naming in Windows 10 yDvisPRlBWJ8AKA6_thm.jpg

• Common Data, like the Operating System's name, the Version, Device ID, Device Class, Diagnostic level selection and so on.
    • Device Connectivity and Configuration such as device properties and capabilities, preferences and settings, peripherals, and device network information.
    • Product and Service Performance data that show device health, performance and reliability data, movie consumption functionality on the device and device file queries. It's important to note that this functionality is not intended to capture user viewing or, listening habits.
    • Product and Service Usage data includes details about the usage of the device, operating system, applications, and services.
    • Software Setup and Inventory such as installed applications and install history, device update information.
    Microsoft Privacy Dashboard
    Updates to the Microsoft Privacy Dashboard include a new Activity History page, which aims to provide a clear and easy to navigate way to see the data that is saved with users' Microsoft accounts. The Microsoft Privacy Dashboard further allows users to manage their data and change what data is collected by adjusting the privacy settings on their devices or browser at any time.

In the coming months, Microsoft will keep the slow roll-out of additional features that will allow users to:
    • View and manage media consumption data, as well as product and service activity on the Activity History page
    • Export for any of the data you see on the dashboard
    • Delete specific items to allow for greater individual control

Raevenlord, Mar 7, 2020
  3. torre Win User
    Win10 Telemetry

Good article from ZDNet.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/microso...on-off-switch/

torre, Mar 7, 2020
  4. P4-630 Win User

Microsoft claims I signed up for Windows 10...

Click to expand... This is my list of hidden updates:

Microsoft will change Diagnostic Data (Telemetry) Naming in Windows 10 hidden-updates-jpg.jpg

P4-630, Mar 7, 2020
Thema:

1. Microsoft will change Diagnostic Data (Telemetry) Naming in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Microsoft change Diagnostic

2. Diagnostics and data

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Diagnostics and data: Why are my settings for Diagnostics and Data greyed out. I am the only person using this computer. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/diagnostics-and-data/3062f3a9-5fca-4633-a43b-ee79ca9bff14
  3. Diagnostics data

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Diagnostics data: Hello!I bought my pc 8 months agoits not school computer,and I can't put this to send full diagnostics data,is there a fix? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/diagnostics-data/aefb85d2-03f5-4443-9a3d-986b0f1da574
  4. Can’t change Diagnostic Data to Full in Windows 11/10

in Windows 10 News
    Can’t change Diagnostic Data to Full in Windows 11/10: [ATTACH]Sometimes, regardless of your selection levels for diagnostic data: Basic (required) and Full (optional), you can’t change the Diagnostic Data to Full in Windows 11/10. The following workaround for this issue should help you. Can’t change Diagnostic Data to Full in...
  5. optional diagnostic data unable to be changed

in Windows 10 Customization
    optional diagnostic data unable to be changed: I was trying to sign up for the windows insider programme, it asked me to turn diagnostic data from required to optional. It allows me to change it, but as soon as I exit the page the setting will go back to requiredis this a oversight on my end?thanks in advance...
  6. Problems changing the diagnostic data option

in Windows 10 Customization
    Problems changing the diagnostic data option: I'm interested in trialing the Windows 11 build however to do that I need to turn on "Optional diagnostic data". When I turn this on and go to any other part of settings or close settings it disables this and goes back to the "Required diagnostic data" option. I've looked to...
  7. JSON Diagnostic & Telemetry Files.

in Windows 10 Support
    JSON Diagnostic & Telemetry Files.: This is more for information and interest than a concern. I had these files in the C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Diagnosis\DownloadedSettings Folder . . . I then Deleted them ALL and Restarted the computer, and this is what I had afterwards . . . This is what is said about JSON...
  8. Is this the telemetry data?

in Windows 10 Support
    Is this the telemetry data?: Is the data view-able inside Diagnostic Data Viewer telemetry data that gets sent to Microsoft? Currently on 1909. 146272
  9. How to change diagnostic data to basic?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How to change diagnostic data to basic?: Privacy -> Diagnostics & Feedback -> Diagnostic Data I am presented with two options, "Basic" and "Full" and neither are greyed out. The default is "Full" but I select "Basic." Then I leave the page and come back to it later, and "Full" is selected again. I've gone back and...
  10. Change Diagnostic and Usage Data Settings in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Diagnostic and Usage Data Settings in Windows 10: How to: Change Diagnostic Data Settings in Windows 10 How to Change Diagnostic Data Settings in Windows 10 As you use Windows, we collect diagnostic information, and to make sure we're listening to you, our customer, we've also built ways for you to send us feedback...